Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Their suggestion for a workout plan was like this:

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 2 - Hamstrings / Core
    Day 3 - Upper Body (all muscles)
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

Just though I'd clear that up :)
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

I am not the one swearing, you are...

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I think the point is we're genetically inferior.
    I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.
    I apologize if you were being sarcastic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

Also, yes, the initial post was sarcasm.

+1 (and finally someone did it)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

+1 (and finally someone did it)
    Read above posts. My initial post wasn't to demean females. It was to substitute the word "genetically" with "physically" so the SENTENCE was correct. And I even gave an example of it after correcting the incorrectly worded statement.

Relax.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah I'm not reading all 7 pages. What I've learned from what I've read so far is that while women are genetically different from men, men are apparently not genetically different from one another. Bro-biological science?

Also,
    tumblr_meuq5qOCYR1rn899uo1_500.gif
    (To which we should apparently add being a female.)

globo-gym.jpg
    Just to show I'm not being obtuse here, the word "genetically" is used wrong here too. The word "physically" should be used here for the sentences to make sense.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry. Next time I'll be more concise with my good-natured, sarcastic forum thread summary.

Though I confess, I think it works equally well to say, "while women are physically different from men, men are apparently not physically different from one another." Though it doesn't work as well with Zak the op fisher's post from page 3 which generated that particular response. Either way, rest assured that the note is well taken, brave moderator.
    Not throwing you under the bus. Was just showing the females who took offense to my correcting another "genetically" different statement that it had nothing to do with a BELIEF that males are superior over females.

I did get your sarcasm though. Well played.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    J187 wrote: »
    Hi Danielle, yest women and men definitely should train differently. However, the differences are not profound. When I was designing the [name redacted], I only included a few key differences for the women's program in phase 1. Phase 2 and 3 of the program are practically identical for both sexes. In my program, the differences are basically heavier emphasis on legs for women, slightly less emphasis on chest. This was mostly to fit the exercises within the parameters of the daily workout formatting. Good luck!

GTFOOHWTS
  • ninerbuff
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Physically inferior at what? Mansplaining to women what they really meant?

For the record, greater explosive strength =/= physical superiority. Also for the record, being weaker than me doesn't make anyone less of a man. Get it together.

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different.
    Hate to tell you that if a fraternal twin girl and boy were tested, they would "genetically" be the similar. Physical difference between genders is what you were looking for here.
    Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.
    Probably should heed your own advice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    From page 5 just for your reference.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For the record, greater explosive strength =/= physical superiority. Also for the record, being weaker than me doesn't make anyone less of a man. Get it together.

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different.
    Hate to tell you that if a fraternal twin girl and boy were tested, they would "genetically" be the similar. Physical difference between genders is what you were looking for here.
    Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    That doesn't excuse your initial statement in any way. Seriously, moderate yourself.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Fraternal twins are no more genetically similar than regular siblings.

Also women and men differ genetically (more than that between men or between women) because of the sex chromosomes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't want to only do upper body once a week but if that floats your boat, by all means go ahead.

From a few things I've read, women are able to recover more quickly and can train more frequently than men. Also, lower body can respond better to more frequent training and higher reps (can't remember off the top of my head if that is women-specific or not but I *think* I got that from Strong Curves.) Bret Contreras suggests doing his full body programs 3x/week and then doing another day of lower body once a week. He also provides a lower body only program for women who don't want to train upper body at all. Apparently the last option is somewhat popular. It's kind of a foreign concept to me because I've always found the upper body stuff easier so I tend to like it more, though lower body is becoming more enjoyable now that I've been working harder on it this year.
    Wait, are you saying that when it comes to recovery, men are inferior to women?!?!?!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    That doesn't excuse your initial statement in any way. Seriously, moderate yourself.

i would suggest a strong dose of get over yourself….
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't need an apology. And so- thank you for white knighting women- but we dont' need it.

I understood very well what he was saying. And practically speaking- we ARE physically inferior unfortunately. That doesn't make men inherently better- it just means we will always be the weaker sex on a "all variables being equal" kind of test.

I know there are men that I am unequivocally stronger than- but those guys don't train. Any man that did my training program would far surpass me in a matter of months.

It's a fair point- perhaps not well worded- but he isn't WRONG.

He chose a bit of sarcasm to "correct". Where he is right or wrong, I don't care.

My point is that simply defining physical superiority/inferiority by the potential to be strong is the same mindset that, thoughout history, taught that women by their very genetics were inferior. If you choose you define physical superiority/inferiority that way, that's your prerogative.

But women's bodies do all kinds of things men's can't.

You can take that as white knighting. IDGAF. I don't know you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't want to only do upper body once a week but if that floats your boat, by all means go ahead.

From a few things I've read, women are able to recover more quickly and can train more frequently than men. Also, lower body can respond better to more frequent training and higher reps (can't remember off the top of my head if that is women-specific or not but I *think* I got that from Strong Curves.) Bret Contreras suggests doing his full body programs 3x/week and then doing another day of lower body once a week. He also provides a lower body only program for women who don't want to train upper body at all. Apparently the last option is somewhat popular. It's kind of a foreign concept to me because I've always found the upper body stuff easier so I tend to like it more, though lower body is becoming more enjoyable now that I've been working harder on it this year.
    Wait, are you saying that when it comes to recovery, men are inferior to women?!?!?!

is that ironic punctuation or what, i can't tell

i think jemhh is referring to bret contreras' observations after having trained tons of women for years and years (as well as probably reading done while doing his doctorate). i have no idea though, this is an appeal to authority.

personally, my (female) recovery is terrible.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i would suggest a strong dose of get over yourself….
    Some dudebro that lives on the MFP forums thinks I need to get over myself because I don't believe that sexist statements should earn a pat on the back. Noted.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    But seriously, if we work this out logically:

Logically factual statements.
    Some A are stronger than some B.
    Some B are stronger than some A.
    Some A are stronger than some A.
    Some B are stronger than some B.

Using words like all or majority are assumptive as there's no concrete way to verify. To use them as assertions of fact is illogical. Unless my logic has gaps. I'm open to a logical refutation.
    How many individual (non-team) sports involve women competing against men?

In how many sports are the womens' records better than the mens' records?

Obviously some women are stronger than some men. But the strongest men are stronger than the strongest women, and the average man is stronger than the average woman. So in that context "men are stronger than women" is a valid statement, in the same way as "men are taller than women."

I'm not sure why anyone would think this is justification to think that men and women should be treated differently.

I don't know why some people need to inject value judgments into any observation of differences between any two people or groups of people.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

i think jemhh is referring to bret contreras' observations after having trained tons of women for years and years (as well as probably reading done while doing his doctorate). i have no idea though, this is an appeal to authority.

Yea, because no one has ever miss spoke in their entire life...

It must be nice to live in perfectville...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Oh I would never say that men are inferior. I'd just say that women are superior ;)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think you understand my response.

Your response was "I think your point was that we're genetically inferior."

My response was to correct the word "genetically" for "physically" because it's the wrong terminology for the actual statement.

When speaking of genetics, you're speaking of inherent traits amongst ancestors. I said physical because you were obviously referring to the gender differences.

My correction was to make the SENTENCE terminologically correct, NOT to say that males are superior over females. Hope that clears that up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It really doesn't. I knew the point you were making. You, however, are missing what I was talking about in the first place.

My point is that you're defining physical inferiority in an extremely narrow way - which is to say, you seem to say that men are physically superior because they have the greater potential for strength. But there are many things a woman can do, physically, that a man can't.

I understand what you were *trying* to say. But since you found it appropriate to correct sarcasm (who seriously says women are genetically inferior), I afforded you no benefits of the doubt. Because, quite frankly, narrowly defining superiority/inferiority is how history got to a place where it considered women to be genetic defect of men.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Yea, because no one has ever miss spoke in their entire life...

It must be nice to live in perfectville...

i don't actually know what he was trying to say with "?!?!?!?"