late forties and fighting to lose weight

Options
Hi I'm Breda from Dublin, and would welcome tips on how to lose weight through diet and exercise in my late forties

Replies

• Boolost1
    Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi breda, welcome and good luck, im in my late 30s, so haven't much advice, speed walking ??????
    good luck hun
  • scubatacular
    Options
    Hi, my name is Clare early 50s I desperately need to lose 3 stone before the doctor will put me on the waiting list for surgery and then there is a one year waiting list after that. All I can suggest as for exercise is 30 mins walk poorer day. Good luck
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would suggest, WEIGH everything you eat on digital kitchen scales, its a real pain to start with, but soooo worth it, i nearly had a heart attack when i realised just how much pasta i had been eating compared the recommended 75grams lol!
    Just walk about more, i have a jawbone up, it buzzes if i haven't moved for 30 mins( i have an office job so sit all day ) so i get up now and walk around the office.
    Drink lots of water, and keep your salt down, and get plenty of sleep.
    Don't make yourself miserable, remember MFP sets cals really low if you put 2lbs a week loss. i eat 1600 and still losing, but i believe in the slower approach, it gives me time to change my habits.
    Don't be hard on yourself, we all have good and not so good days, but one slip up wont undo the hard work.
    I don't deny myself anything, but just make sure it fits in my calories for the day.
    Feel free to add me if you are looking for support, my diary is open and i am always about on here.
    I am 44 so know its harder after 40 too x
  • liojake
    liojake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Breda. My name is Glady. I'm in my mid 30s. I've been struggling with diet and exercise for a long time, but what I found keeps me on track is to work on my exercise first before trying to figure out my diet. I found that when I started with exercising, wanting to eat healthier followed. If you can afford it, a personal trainer really helps. They are there to keep you motivated and interested in exercise. If you look around too, there may be group classes you can do in Dublin. Walking of course is always a bonus. Good luck
  • bredaclarke67
    bredaclarke67 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Boolost1 wrote: »
    Hi breda, welcome and good luck, im in my late 30s, so haven't much advice, speed walking ??????
    good luck hun
    hi, many thanks for your support. Trying to exercise indoors till the good weather starts then outdoors for some speed walking. I've read skipping is great too!

• moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello Breda in Dublin! I am 53, and in USA...but we ladies seem to struggle with similar weight loss issues.
    I am in peri-menopause...and let me tell you...it changes the rules for weight loss.
    If I knew in my 40's (the last time I successfully lost the weight), what I know now.....my recommendation would be that...if you can get the weight off...try your best to keep it off. Nothing works the same now that the hormones are now dropping in production. Metabolism is merely one of them. As is range of motion for joints, recovery time, etc.
    If you can get moving now...keep moving! Walking, running, stationary bike, weight lifting.
    And most important...don't give up!
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    Hi, my name is Clare early 50s I desperately need to lose 3 stone before the doctor will put me on the waiting list for surgery and then there is a one year waiting list after that. All I can suggest as for exercise is 30 mins walk poorer day. Good luck
    Hi Clare, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying to cut down on food especially sweet stuff. The bad weather doesn't help with getting out and about to exercise so I'm trying to do some at home. It's a tough road but you'll get there eventually ☺

• Tzippo
    Tzippo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Brenda,

Try walking and yoga and try and avoid eating after six o'clock at night. Good luck. You can do it!!! ; )
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is pretty straightforward. What you do need to do is understand what it is you are trying to achieve and how it works, then be able to put yourself at a consistent calorific deficit for a sustained period.

Any movement is good and you do whatever you can manage based upon your fitness level. It will improve if you do a sufficient amount. Start with walking and work up to other things. You main emphasis needs to be on controlling the amount you consume and being able to log that accurately.
    This link contains a lot of good advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    pinkiezoom wrote: »
    Hi, I would suggest, WEIGH everything you eat on digital kitchen scales, its a real pain to start with, but soooo worth it, i nearly had a heart attack when i realised just how much pasta i had been eating compared the recommended 75grams lol!
    Just walk about more, i have a jawbone up, it buzzes if i haven't moved for 30 mins( i have an office job so sit all day ) so i get up now and walk around the office.
    Drink lots of water, and keep your salt down, and get plenty of sleep.
    Don't make yourself miserable, remember MFP sets cals really low if you put 2lbs a week loss. i eat 1600 and still losing, but i believe in the slower approach, it gives me time to change my habits.
    Don't be hard on yourself, we all have good and not so good days, but one slip up wont undo the hard work.
    I don't deny myself anything, but just make sure it fits in my calories for the day.
    Feel free to add me if you are looking for support, my diary is open and i am always about on here.
    I am 44 so know its harder after 40 too x[/quote

Hi, yes I've begun to weigh my food. I love all bran berry crunch and I weighed the portion I would usually have and it was more than double what I thought I was having!!!! The easter eggs are looking at me but I'm only having a small piece each day. Yes defo after 40 it's harder to lose it but nice to hear about others in the same boat. Thanks a mil for your support
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    liojake wrote: »
    Hi Breda. My name is Glady. I'm in my mid 30s. I've been struggling with diet and exercise for a long time, but what I found keeps me on track is to work on my exercise first before trying to figure out my diet. I found that when I started with exercising, wanting to eat healthier followed. If you can afford it, a personal trainer really helps. They are there to keep you motivated and interested in exercise. If you look around too, there may be group classes you can do in Dublin. Walking of course is always a bonus. Good luck

Hi Glady, I have found since I tried working out at home I'm telling myself it's a waste without dealing with the food issue so I'm slowly learning to question why I'm looking to eat something, boredom or hunger! Was contemplating weight watchers or slimming world but gonna hold off to see if I can do it myself. Thank your for your support and good luck☺
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    Hello Breda in Dublin! I am 53, and in USA...but we ladies seem to struggle with similar weight loss issues.
    I am in peri-menopause...and let me tell you...it changes the rules for weight loss.
    If I knew in my 40's (the last time I successfully lost the weight), what I know now.....my recommendation would be that...if you can get the weight off...try your best to keep it off. Nothing works the same now that the hormones are now dropping in production. Metabolism is merely one of them. As is range of motion for joints, recovery time, etc.
    If you can get moving now...keep moving! Walking, running, stationary bike, weight lifting.
    And most important...don't give up!

Hiya, in peri menopause myself so I know the struggle. There's definitely a difference between now and 3 years ago. Back then I could go walking and drop 9 lbs no problem. I think if I get to my goal weight and can invent an eating habit that is healthy with space for treats I will be good. Just hope my hips and knees don't let me down
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    Tzippo wrote: »
    Hi Brenda,

Try walking and yoga and try and avoid eating after six o'clock at night. Good luck. You can do it!!! ; )

Thank you. Never did yoga before so might give it a go. I try to eat as little as possible in the evening. Determined this time ☺

• bredaclarke67
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Weight loss is pretty straightforward. What you do need to do is understand what it is you are trying to achieve and how it works, then be able to put yourself at a consistent calorific deficit for a sustained period.

Any movement is good and you do whatever you can manage based upon your fitness level. It will improve if you do a sufficient amount. Start with walking and work up to other things. You main emphasis needs to be on controlling the amount you consume and being able to log that accurately.
    This link contains a lot of good advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Thank you for that. Some good advice in there. The MAP food diary is a great help and I think when you see in black and white what calories you have left it encourages you to be careful so here's hoping in a few months I'll be a healthy weight and an even healthier eater☺
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have def made smarter choices since logging everything! somethings are just not worth the extra calories. And others are :) I hear ya on the getting a shock in weight food.... i was eating enough for 4 people lol! x
  • moxie1962
    Options

Hiya, in peri menopause myself so I know the struggle. There's definitely a difference between now and 3 years ago. Back then I could go walking and drop 9 lbs no problem. I think if I get to my goal weight and can invent an eating habit that is healthy with space for treats I will be good. Just hope my hips and knees don't let me down[/quote]

What? You have knees??? :o Mine left long ago :p
  • moxie1962
    Options
    Logging food and weight daily helps me quite a bit. I live with hypoglycemia, and had to find the balance between protein and carbs for blood sugar stabilization. I think I might have found it.
    Keeping my energy levels up, and my blood sugar stable....is what helps me in the end to lose weight.
  • bredaclarke67
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hiya, in peri menopause myself so I know the struggle. There's definitely a difference between now and 3 years ago. Back then I could go walking and drop 9 lbs no problem. I think if I get to my goal weight and can invent an eating habit that is healthy with space for treats I will be good. Just hope my hips and knees don't let me down

What? You have knees??? :o Mine left long ago :p [/quote]

Haha just about hanging in there☺
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    pinkiezoom wrote: »
    I have def made smarter choices since logging everything! somethings are just not worth the extra calories. And others are :) I hear ya on the getting a shock in weight food.... i was eating enough for 4 people lol! x

I measured the proper amount into a bowl and it looked like a mouthful compared to what I normally ate
  • bredaclarke67
    Options
    Logging food and weight daily helps me quite a bit. I live with hypoglycemia, and had to find the balance between protein and carbs for blood sugar stabilization. I think I might have found it.
    Keeping my energy levels up, and my blood sugar stable....is what helps me in the end to lose weight.

That sounds complicated! If I can lose the weight and keep it off with a good diet and the odd treat I'll be happy with that☺