late forties and fighting to lose weight

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Weight loss is pretty straightforward. What you do need to do is understand what it is you are trying to achieve and how it works, then be able to put yourself at a consistent calorific deficit for a sustained period.

Any movement is good and you do whatever you can manage based upon your fitness level. It will improve if you do a sufficient amount. Start with walking and work up to other things. You main emphasis needs to be on controlling the amount you consume and being able to log that accurately.
    This link contains a lot of good advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

+ 1 re reading the link.

I am 47 and weight loss is no different now than it was when I was younger. The ease may be a little harder (although I find it easier as I have more knowledge). The one thing that may help is to err on lower/moderate carbs as some women, especially older ones, do better with a slightly more restricted carb level (I am not talking very low - but around the low to mid hundreds in grams). This is not always the case - it depends on hormones and activity levels - I do well on high carbs, but that is very individual.

The main factor in losing weight imo is to take an approach that is the easiest to adhere to and is sustainable and to be consistent and patient.
  • maisie981
    maisie981 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi add me. I am 47 from Bristol UK.
    Struggling here too.
    How much do you want to lose?
    I am menopausal too and developing a lovely tyre round my middle which I hate.
    I never had this until a couple of years ago.
    It's no fun being a woman is it lol
  • bredaclarke67
    bredaclarke67 Posts: 45 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Weight loss is pretty straightforward. What you do need to do is understand what it is you are trying to achieve and how it works, then be able to put yourself at a consistent calorific deficit for a sustained period.

Any movement is good and you do whatever you can manage based upon your fitness level. It will improve if you do a sufficient amount. Start with walking and work up to other things. You main emphasis needs to be on controlling the amount you consume and being able to log that accurately.
    This link contains a lot of good advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

+ 1 re reading the link.

I am 47 and weight loss is no different now than it was when I was younger. The ease may be a little harder (although I find it easier as I have more knowledge). The one thing that may help is to err on lower/moderate carbs as some women, especially older ones, do better with a slightly more restricted carb level (I am not talking very low - but around the low to mid hundreds in grams). This is not always the case - it depends on hormones and activity levels - I do well on high carbs, but that is very individual.

The main factor in losing weight imo is to take an approach that is the easiest to adhere to and is sustainable and to be consistent and patient.

Hiya, I'm hoping that this time I can learn to eat sensibly and allow myself little treats. Pretty sure I eat out of boredom. I don't eat pasta but I do eat potatoes so I'm trying to cut them down and increase my veggies☺

• bredaclarke67
    bredaclarke67 Posts: 45 Member
    maisie981 wrote: »
    Hi add me. I am 47 from Bristol UK.
    Struggling here too.
    How much do you want to lose?
    I am menopausal too and developing a lovely tyre round my middle which I hate.
    I never had this until a couple of years ago.
    It's no fun being a woman is it lol

Hiya Maisie981, I would like to drop about 12lbs. It prob doesn't seem much to most but it's what I think is reachable and would leave me at 9st 7lbs. Same as yourself my middle is the issue, didn't know how lucky I was when weight wasn't an issue. I believe it's harder to drop from your tummy at menopausal age but sure I'll give it a good try. I've tried before and stalled at about 9st 10 lbs. I'm 10st 5lbs now and feeling determined. How about yourself? ☺