The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Options

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    People can have other allergies to ingredients in vaccines other than those you've mentioned. It's extremely rare, but it is a possible. For those people with actual, medically tested and documented issues, not vaxing is perfectly acceptable. Herd immunity should protect them, but it can't if there are too many in the herd who aren't protected.

Agreed. I am simply to lazy to mention all ingredients and such ppl suffer from the antivax movement too
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great read! Never heard of this 'Food Babe' but man she sounds like a crack-pot!

While I don't have coeliacs, it is in my family and my two small nieces and Aunt do - just a fraction of wheat makes them very ill. And this was diagnosed with biopsy - rather than the prolific self-diagnosis that is very trendy at the moment. My sister constantly battles getting through to servers and other parents that it is not because of preference they are asking for Gluten Free so totally empathise with your own situation which people like 'Food Babe' are cashing in on.

Scientific query, proving/disproving hypotheses and reproduction of results has unfortunately gone the way of the dinosaur for many people, as you don't get a 'Like' hit so easily for what you publish. Sigh...

- but I love the way you wrote this - its hilarious :)

L.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I read this yesterday and did a happy dance with my friend's list. Then I ate some toxinz.

Funny!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    That article (and this thread) are so full of win.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I all very pro vaccine, however the flu vaccine is not one I consider 100% beneficial. The reason being, the flu vaccine is basically a WHO prediction of which strains are going to be most prevalent during flu season. Therefore, if a different strain breaks out that was not in the vaccine, it was pointless to get. That is why some years there is a higher outbreak than usual, and why some people get the flu even though they had the vaccine.

I recall that, in my teens & 20's (90s-00's) in NJ they had radio ads asking not-at-risk ppl to forgo the flu shot as there were always shortages and doctors wanted the shots saved for the young, elderly, healthcare workers and parents.

They seem to have gotten their act together though as I don't hear those commercials anymore. I think I'll be getting them from here-on-in for three reasons.

1- the vax does no harm (to me) and it's free so I'm only down a sore arm for the day

2- I've read (though admittedly not in a paper) that even a missed vax can offer some protection.

3- most years the WHO gets it right and I don't want the flu, it sucks!

There are other reasons for me to get it now, having a toddler means I come into contact with infants every day, but those are the reasons I will continue. Unless there are shortages again!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Demon_Lord wrote: »
    I don't get flu shots. I'm not saying that other people shouldn't, but the body's immunity is a wonderful thing. I've never had a flu shot before, so although I get sick often, its not nasty. I don't know why, but when I get sick, I feel fine and it never lasts more than a couple of days. Vaccines are a good thing but I don't feel the need to get a flu shot.

Thanks, Mr. SuperImmunity... disease vector. I do vaccinate myself, but I have suppressed immune system.

You, walking around, blissfully unaware in your little selfish bubble, infect people like me who don't have a choice.

But that's okay, because you're okay and no one else matters, right?

• crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    I don't get flu shots. I'm not saying that other people shouldn't, but the body's immunity is a wonderful thing. I've never had a flu shot before, so although I get sick often, its not nasty. I don't know why, but when I get sick, I feel fine and it never lasts more than a couple of days. Vaccines are a good thing but I don't feel the need to get a flu shot.

Thanks, Mr. SuperImmunity... disease vector. I do vaccinate myself, but I have suppressed immune system.

You, walking around, blissfully unaware in your little selfish bubble, infect people like me who don't have a choice.

I actually don't know this, does the flu shot offer herd immunity? I figured that since it's only good for a year and it's given at odd times that herd immunity is virtually impossible. Could be wrong though, do you know ?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I actually don't know this, does the flu shot offer herd immunity? I figured that since it's only good for a year and it's given at odd times that herd immunity is virtually impossible. Could be wrong though, do you know ?

Not necessarily because of the whole strain issue, but the chance of him passing it on with his... I'm fine and only get mildly sick so the hell with the rest of you attitude is certainly higher.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Doesn't the population have to reach a certain vaccinated percentage before herd immunity kicks in? Something like 90-95% plus? I know if I did a straw poll, most people I know personally, myself included, do not get flu shots.

ETA: http://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/herd-immunity

Yes, it's about 95% and does not really apply to the flu vaccine.

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I read up on SciBabe's facebook last night and was very happy. It seems by her speaking out, other media outlets have latched on and are free to say what I feel they were all thinking in the background. "This Food Babe lady is insane."
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this, but here is her response.
    http://foodbabe.com/response-to-gawker-the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-*kitten*/
    Hilarious! Her 'plenty of scientists and consumer organizations that back this message' link takes you to a page by 'Max'. His bio reads:
    I’m just a regular person who decided to take his physical and mental health into his own hands.
    Neither a scientist nor a consumer organization.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything wrong with the internet in this post. People are idiots and follow other idiots opinions that they think is fact.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Doesn't the population have to reach a certain vaccinated percentage before herd immunity kicks in? Something like 90-95% plus? I know if I did a straw poll, most people I know personally, myself included, do not get flu shots.

ETA: http://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/herd-immunity

Yes, it's about 95% and does not really apply to the flu vaccine.

Yeah i didn't think so. It's to haphazardly given. If tge get a universal though that would be amazing!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I all very pro vaccine, however the flu vaccine is not one I consider 100% beneficial. The reason being, the flu vaccine is basically a WHO prediction of which strains are going to be most prevalent during flu season. Therefore, if a different strain breaks out that was not in the vaccine, it was pointless to get. That is why some years there is a higher outbreak than usual, and why some people get the flu even though they had the vaccine.
    If I wear my seatbelt while driving and don't get into an accident, it was pointless to wear my seatbelt.

If I get a cancer screening and I don't have cancer, the screening was pointless.

And so forth.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    If I wear my seatbelt while driving and don't get into an accident, it was pointless to wear my seatbelt.

If I get a cancer screening and I don't have cancer, the screening was pointless.

And so forth.

Ohhhh good analogy!
    I'm stealing it!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    There was an interesting story on NPR about the time Disneyland was having their measles outbreak. It looked at how other developed countries looked a vaccination - pretty sure they focused on Denmark, Sweden, Finland and a few others. There vaccination rates are high because the population there seems to understand the notion that vaccination is a responsibility that healthy people do to protect those who cannot get vaccinated. In the US it seems more people only look at themselves and how things impact them and have lost the notion of the bigger picture and thinking of others.

Sadly.

Think there's any correlation between that and their high literacy rate?

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yeah, way too long, didnt read any of that.
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm banned from her Facebook page because I told someone who was asking her for medical advice to go see a real medical professional.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »

Aaaand this is why we have problems.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »

Aaaand this is why we have problems.

This.