What do you eat when you are sick?

Options
Ideally, I would make a lovely chicken soup with fresh veggies but the reality is I feel like crap and I am way more likely to eat something easy and usually not very good for me. What do you choose that doesn't require a lot of work but gives your body what it needs to recover from illness?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I might be a bad example, but if I am home alone and sick, I too reach for the easiest thing to cook since probably even just being vertical is a chore. This usually means something like boxed macaroni and cheese and hotdogs...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast
  • Lklambert3
    Lklambert3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I might be a bad example, but if I am home alone and sick, I too reach for the easiest thing to cook since probably even just being vertical is a chore. This usually means something like boxed macaroni and cheese and hotdogs...

My children are most definitely getting Mac and Cheese and chicken nuggets for dinner. :)

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just as importnat to hydate. I normally go for soemthing I cna keep down. I might have some complan meak replacement, toast, rice pudding, soup or just anything I fancy. Just simple food is what I go for.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a lot of fruit that doesn't need any prep - bananas, strawberries, grapes, oranges, that kind of stuff. I also like string cheese and while it isn't the best, a nice bowl of sugary cereal. Mostly, I just make sure to drink enough water because that's what's most important when you're sick.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pB&J is my "go to" sick food that and chocolate milk
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If I have stomach issues- brat diet, plus saltines and dry cereal. Seven up or sprite.

If I have a cold-canned soup. Ramen noodles. Orange juice. NyQuil.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If I have no tummy issues I eat whatever the hell I want. Oddly enough, one of the only times I eat fast food is when I'm sick. Something about McDonalds salty nuggets and fries makes me happy when I have a head cold. Not exactly healthy.
  • SaveCals4Wine
    SaveCals4Wine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go buy chicken pho from the Vietnamese restaurant! It cures, I swear it!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am sick right now and have been living off of chicken noodle soup in a can. I always keep either healthy choice or campbells healthy heart on hand all year long for times like this. I am not proud of this but I did get my kids mcdonalds for dinner last night and tonight I am bringing home a rotisserie chicken and a salad for them from the grocery store. I also have whole wheat saltines and ginger ale. I am sick to my stomach so water is hard for me to keep down I have tried seltzer but ginger ale seems to be the best. If its just a cold I would stick to water.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    chicken noodle soup, peanut butter toast, ginger ale. those are my "feel better" foods!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually have canned soup and crackers, gatorade to try to stay hydrated, and Vernors to calm my stomach.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Lklambert3 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

My children are most definitely getting Mac and Cheese and chicken nuggets for dinner. :)

Give your self a break.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Lklambert3 wrote: »
    Ideally, I would make a lovely chicken soup with fresh veggies but the reality is I feel like crap and I am way more likely to eat something easy and usually not very good for me. What do you choose that doesn't require a lot of work but gives your body what it needs to recover from illness?
    Honestly I drink some water and go back to bed.

• Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Saltines and flat Coke- also takeout matzoh ball soup or ramen from the cupboard. Soothing and easy to digest.
    Once my stomach's recovered a little, I try to introduce some yogurt in fairly soon; it makes my system re-balance itself a little more quickly. Mmm...probiotics. With cherry jam!
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I had 12 crackers, 7-up, and water. It was all I could do to eat and drink that.
    Today, I've had some peanut butter on crackers and coffee. My plan is some fruit and yogurt later in the day, depending on how it goes with the crackers I just ate.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is different every time also depends on what kind of sick. If it is just a cold the same as I do every other day. The flu usually a day of just water than last time I had orange sherbet because it was the only thing that sounded good. Sometimes it is cream cheese toast. So nothing really healtht but, puking 7 times a day you just eat what sounds good.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    popsicles
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My ultimate .omfort food is cream of wheat made with full fat milk and raisins. Takes me right back to being a little kid, except my Auntie made it with full fat milk AND sugar AND condensed milk. I use a teaspoon of sugar and then stevia.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Chicken noodle soup (or any soup I have on hand), Bolthouse Farm smoothies (sipped slowly - calorie bombs!) are staples for sick days. If it's a tummy bug, then I also try to follow BRAT. If it's a sore throat I add ice cream and tea to my arsenal. Just general malaise, then I'll eat whatever is easiest to cook, and/or live off of Amy's frozen meals if I don't also have to feed the family. I try to keep lots of bone broth, cooked shredded meat and frozen veggies in the fridge so I can pull together a healthy soup quickly :)