ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Their suggestion for a workout plan was like this:

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 2 - Hamstrings / Core
    Day 3 - Upper Body (all muscles)
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

Just though I'd clear that up :)
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

I am not the one swearing, you are...

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I think the point is we're genetically inferior.
    I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.
    I apologize if you were being sarcastic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

Also, yes, the initial post was sarcasm.
    I don't think you understand my response.

Your response was "I think your point was that we're genetically inferior."

My response was to correct the word "genetically" for "physically" because it's the wrong terminology for the actual statement.

When speaking of genetics, you're speaking of inherent traits amongst ancestors. I said physical because you were obviously referring to the gender differences.

My correction was to make the SENTENCE terminologically correct, NOT to say that males are superior over females. Hope that clears that up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It really doesn't. I knew the point you were making. You, however, are missing what I was talking about in the first place.

My point is that you're defining physical inferiority in an extremely narrow way - which is to say, you seem to say that men are physically superior because they have the greater potential for strength. But there are many things a woman can do, physically, that a man can't.

I understand what you were *trying* to say. But since you found it appropriate to correct sarcasm (who seriously says women are genetically inferior), I afforded you no benefits of the doubt. Because, quite frankly, narrowly defining superiority/inferiority is how history got to a place where it considered women to be genetic defect of men.

Are we not in a thread about a strength training program? Of course his comments related to physical superiority related to strength. You and a couple of others are the ones discussing other methods of physical prowess, not ninerbuff.

I am sorry, I have no idea what your point is.

Are we in a thread about strength training? Has the OP ever said she actually wants to GET STRONG? Or just lose fat? Maybe she did at some point and I missed it.

His comments corrected very obvious sarcasm. In the process, he made a poorly worded statement, that unfortunately related to the very issue my sarcasm was about.

Niner is a moderator. He can delete unrelated comments or lock this thread entirely if he sees fit. But because he is a moderator, the standard he's held to should be a bit different.
    Moderators can't moderate threads they participate in (conflict of interest). Another moderator would have to do it if there was a legitimate complaint.

I'll just leave it at this:

The statement was yours. It was a response to how you felt zak was portraying females.
    Using the word "genetically" was incorrect because of the context being discussed. I replaced it with "physically" in your statement to make it more concise.

And somehow it's viewed as I made the statement and stand by it. Couldn't be further from the truth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Physically inferior at what? Mansplaining to women what they really meant?

For the record, greater explosive strength =/= physical superiority. Also for the record, being weaker than me doesn't make anyone less of a man. Get it together.

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different.
    Hate to tell you that if a fraternal twin girl and boy were tested, they would "genetically" be the similar. Physical difference between genders is what you were looking for here.
    Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.
    Probably should heed your own advice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    From page 5 just for your reference.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    That doesn't excuse your initial statement in any way. Seriously, moderate yourself.
    It wasn't MY statement. It was a WORD correction in someone else's (who happens to be a female) statement. Go back and reread from where it started from.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Poor niner seems to be having a hard time making this clear to all the wounded female feelings out there: He did not THINK, SAY, or ever intend to IMPLY that women are inferior to men, physically or otherwise. He only thought that the other person used the word "genetically" wrong, and tried to clarify, as in, "hey, I think you meant to say this." Not, "you meant to state this fact, which I agree with," or "You think this but the truth is this." It's like if someone typed, "The earth is bigger then the sun," and someone else said, "You mean the earth is bigger THAN the sun." That second person is not affirming the actual statement, only correcting a word-error!
    (Though I'm sure after this, he'll double-check what he types lest it be misconstrued as such.)
    Yes. Someone that actually understood the actual intent. Unlike correcting spelling or grammar, the correction was made to be concise within the context of the discussion at hand.

If someone would have said "Well they should do TONING curls" and I stepped in and said "Sorry I think you mean BICEP curls", no one would even flinch.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Physically inferior at what? Mansplaining to women what they really meant?

For the record, greater explosive strength =/= physical superiority. Also for the record, being weaker than me doesn't make anyone less of a man. Get it together.

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different.
    Hate to tell you that if a fraternal twin girl and boy were tested, they would "genetically" be the similar. Physical difference between genders is what you were looking for here.
    Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.
    Probably should heed your own advice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    From page 5 just for your reference.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    That doesn't excuse your initial statement in any way. Seriously, moderate yourself.
    It wasn't MY statement. It was a WORD correction in someone else's (who happens to be a female) statement. Go back and reread from where it started from.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    She didn't need you to "correct" her or explain to her what she meant. That, in itself, is garbage.

And for those of you being intentionally obtuse, "No, let me explain to you what you really meant. You meant this." is still a statement of one's beliefs. "But context!" holds no water here. She made a tongue-in-cheek comment, he "corrected" her with his poorly contrived sexist thinky thoughts. A bunch of people reacted by calling him out on it. The correct response to being called out would be "I'm sorry and it won't happen again." and then a conscious effort made to not explain to people what they really meant or make similarly offensive statements in the future. Instead, he's busy telling people "What I said was okay because context!". Nope. All the nope.

Edited to add: And FFS, quit trying to extrapolate from his original statement. It was "Women are physically inferior to men." and that's all kinds of wrong.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oy, talk about intentionally obtuse. It wasn't his statement ever, he was just trying to make a little sense of what she was trying to say, since who would really say "women are genetically inferior to men" (he didn't realize she was being sarcastic).

Whereas, one could certainly make the case that women are physically inferior to men (in the context of building muscle). But it wasn't him saying that, he was just saying that must've been what she meant (it was probably a mild rebuke of her original genetic statement, which if she was serious you wouldn't be offended at her being "corrected").

So no need to keep dragging him over the coals about it. If he was being sexist I'd be disgusted,too. But he wasn't so you're being really rude. It's just a stupid misunderstanding. The correct response when you realize that would be "oh, cool then, peace".
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

NInerbuff, just be careful with your "corrections". It actually is in the CG to no correct people's grammer/Engrlish. Why? things like this happen. You had an unfortunate misspeak correcting SARCASM. I don't think anyone actually thinks you were saying that men are physically superior in all contexts. Actually, that's hard to say because a lot of people define physical superiority by strength alone. That's probably too narrow. Sorry I am not more sorry about being super generous in my responses to corrected sarcasm. A) You are mod and should be enforcing the guild lines, not skirting them as you see fit. Who actually says women are genetically inferior? WHO? B) Making silly slips like that can be really offensive when you didn't intent them to be and totally derail a thread. Much like what has happened here. I am out of this thread.

To the OP, I think your plan seems totally reasonable to start out. Just not be afraid to modify any program you are doing to suit your body and your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: And FFS, quit trying to extrapolate from his original statement. It was "Women are physically inferior to men." and that's all kinds of wrong.

I don't understand why you think that's wrong. Because it's absolutely true.... all variables being equal- women will NEVER be stronger than a man. Pound for pound a trained man will always out lift a trained woman. And pound for pound an untrained main will always out lift an untrained woman.

that's the text book definition of something being 'better' than someone else.

If you chose to assign self value to that concept that's on you- but it's a plain fact that men are across the board stronger than women. It doesn't make them BETTER as a whole or more valuable to humanity- it just simple a fact. I'm not sure how that's offensive other than you don't like the words "superior" and "inferior" but you can chose whatever words you like. Women are weaker than men when it comes to pure strength. period- you cannot really argue that point doesn't exist.

That does not negate our high threshold for pain- our ability to do more work in a shorter amount of time- our recovery- and our drive- none of those things. It does not devalue who we are- it simple means we won't be competing with men in powerlifting- and it's why there are things like Wilkes- to allow us to compete in a manner that makes sense.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.
    I apologize if you were being sarcastic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

Also, yes, the initial post was sarcasm.
    I don't think you understand my response.

Your response was "I think your point was that we're genetically inferior."

My response was to correct the word "genetically" for "physically" because it's the wrong terminology for the actual statement.

When speaking of genetics, you're speaking of inherent traits amongst ancestors. I said physical because you were obviously referring to the gender differences.

My correction was to make the SENTENCE terminologically correct, NOT to say that males are superior over females. Hope that clears that up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It really doesn't. I knew the point you were making. You, however, are missing what I was talking about in the first place.

My point is that you're defining physical inferiority in an extremely narrow way - which is to say, you seem to say that men are physically superior because they have the greater potential for strength. But there are many things a woman can do, physically, that a man can't.

I understand what you were *trying* to say. But since you found it appropriate to correct sarcasm (who seriously says women are genetically inferior), I afforded you no benefits of the doubt. Because, quite frankly, narrowly defining superiority/inferiority is how history got to a place where it considered women to be genetic defect of men.

Are we not in a thread about a strength training program? Of course his comments related to physical superiority related to strength. You and a couple of others are the ones discussing other methods of physical prowess, not ninerbuff.

Are we in a thread about strength training? Has the OP ever said she actually wants to GET STRONG? Or just lose fat? Maybe she did at some point and I missed it.

In that case, are men not physically superior at burning fat? You lose fat by calorie deficit. Men burn more calories than woman. Therefore, we can burn more fat. Oh wait, are we back to genetically with that one? I'm not sure...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Poor niner seems to be having a hard time making this clear to all the wounded female feelings out there: He did not THINK, SAY, or ever intend to IMPLY that women are inferior to men, physically or otherwise. He only thought that the other person used the word "genetically" wrong, and tried to clarify, as in, "hey, I think you meant to say this." Not, "you meant to state this fact, which I agree with," or "You think this but the truth is this." It's like if someone typed, "The earth is bigger then the sun," and someone else said, "You mean the earth is bigger THAN the sun." That second person is not affirming the actual statement, only correcting a word-error!
    (Though I'm sure after this, he'll double-check what he types lest it be misconstrued as such.)

This girl gets it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Everyone stores fat by consuming more than they burn.....unless you know someone that stores fat in a deficit ...???

Are you being purposely obtuse or did you really not understand that I was talking about where different bodies store fat?. It's a fact that people store fat differently - as in different places on their bodies, different distributions etc. Pretty basic.

nope, not being obtuse. Unless you are referring to where people "hold" fat?

store fat does not equal hold fat..

so yes, we all hold fat in different areas = stomach, thighs, whatever..

we all store fat when we over consume calories...

try to keep up
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread just makes my head hurt, can we let it die? Please?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    Oy, talk about intentionally obtuse. It wasn't his statement ever, he was just trying to make a little sense of what she was trying to say, since who would really say "women are genetically inferior to men" (he didn't realize she was being sarcastic).

Whereas, one could certainly make the case that women are physically inferior to men (in the context of building muscle). But it wasn't him saying that, he was just saying that must've been what she meant (it was probably a mild rebuke of her original genetic statement, which if she was serious you wouldn't be offended at her being "corrected").

So no need to keep dragging him over the coals about it. If he was being sexist I'd be disgusted,too. But he wasn't so you're being really rude. It's just a stupid misunderstanding. The correct response when you realize that would be "oh, cool then, peace".

Ditto - believe me, I'd be all over him if he'd actually said anything wrong. Right, @ndj1979 ?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

NInerbuff, just be careful with your "corrections".

it's kind of true, if you'd moved your closing quotes one word over, all this could have been avoided (maybe)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

NInerbuff, just be careful with your "corrections". It actually is in the CG to no correct people's grammer/Engrlish. Why? things like this happen. You had an unfortunate misspeak correcting SARCASM. I don't think anyone actually thinks you were saying that men are physically superior in all contexts. Actually, that's hard to say because a lot of people define physical superiority by strength alone. That's probably too narrow. Sorry I am not more sorry about being super generous in my responses to corrected sarcasm. A) You are mod and should be enforcing the guild lines, not skirting them as you see fit. Who actually says women are genetically inferior? WHO? B) Making silly slips like that can be really offensive when you didn't intent them to be and totally derail a thread. Much like what has happened here. I am out of this thread.
    I apologized to you after realizing you being sarcastic in your remark a few pages back. You acknowledged it.
    As for the correction, it wasn't on grammar (like punctuation or commas) or spelling, but how "genetically" was being used. I gave the example if someone would have said "I'm doing TONING curls" and my correction would have been "I think you mean BICEP curls". "Toning" in this context is incorrect.
    So I wasn't skirting anything. I corrected zak with the same use of the word "genetically" WELL BEFORE your statement in sarcasm was posted for basically the same reason in previous pages back.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Eudoxy wrote: »

Ditto - believe me, I'd be all over him if he'd actually said anything wrong. Right, @ndj1979 ?

still doing it "for the girls" out there that need your rescuing?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Good lord.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

NInerbuff, just be careful with your "corrections".

it's kind of true, if you'd moved your closing quotes one word over, all this could have been avoided (maybe)
    Maybe. I've tried explaining it a few times already and a couple are convinced I'm sexist regardless. Oh well.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    k14201627.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options