Rewarding myself with FOOD help!

Options
anyone else out there reward themselves with food? I have just recently realized I sabotage my own success! If perhaps I have a good week, eat well exercise and lose a lbs or 2 I find myself in the fridge saying one cupcake won't matter then that just happens to lead into more! I have had success in the past and since have gained the weight back because I sabotaged myself! As of today I commit to making better decisions regarding my success and stay on track! The only idea I have is to write a reminder on my calendar that alerts me weekly to keep my focus and reward myself with something that is not food!
Any other ideas out there for non food rewards?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I fit those yummy things I enjoy into my calories through the weeks anyway, so they aren't rewards anymore, they just fit into a well balanced diet. That takes away some of the power and appeal of food as a reward. To "reward" myself for sticking with it I pick an activity I enjoy like hiking or even a day trip somewhere to relax.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I try not to keep things like cupcakes in the house at all. If it's not there, I can't eat it, right?

Non-food rewards would be things like a pedicure, a new pair of shoes, costume jewelry or an article of clothing. It could also be food-related as in I pick up takeout for dinner (salad for me, whatever for the guys) instead of having to cook.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I try not to keep things like cupcakes in the house at all. If it's not there, I can't eat it, right?

I have to second this. My nutrition is on-point when I'm at work, because the only things there to eat are the meals that I've packed, and I know better than to eat my afternoon snack too soon, else I be starving and miserable when afternoon rolls around. My days off, when I'm left sitting around the house, are the days that I get into trouble.

While I can't speak to "non-food rewards," what I have been able to do is recognize when I have a craving, and eat a serving a fat free cottage cheese with chopped up apples, raisins, a banana, and a serving of whole grain crackers mixed in. I know it doesn't sound all that great, but it satisfies my "have something in my mouth" compulsion, and fills my stomach up, while remaining pretty low on calories, in order to get me by until meal time.
  • loseit252015
    loseit252015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, now that I have realized this is a trigger for me I will be putting some of your ideas into play !
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I fit those yummy things I enjoy into my calories through the weeks anyway, so they aren't rewards anymore, they just fit into a well balanced diet. That takes away some of the power and appeal of food as a reward. To "reward" myself for sticking with it I pick an activity I enjoy like hiking or even a day trip somewhere to relax.

+1 I used to have problems with self-sabotage but now I do this ^^^ and it has completely turned my life around for the better.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Best quote I ever read said "Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog." For some reason that did it. lol. Rewarding with clothing works better.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    kimdbro wrote: »
    Best quote I ever read said "Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog." For some reason that did it. lol. Rewarding with clothing works better.

I agree. I reward myself with new work out clothes, or a new blender bottle. Something that motivates me. I'm working on a new pair of shoes LOL.
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror and reward yourself with how much better you look and feel! That's better than a cupcake any day !
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This

I had issues with wanting to drink all the wine, now I just fit it in when I can. :drinker:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    omelet2000 wrote: »
    Look in the mirror and reward yourself with how much better you look and feel! That's better than a cupcake any day !

Except that those aren't mutually exclusive. You can have a great body and cupcakes. It's a matter of how you plan your calories to fulfill your calorie, macronutrient and micronutrient goals. You don't have to give up anything completely to get to your goals.