Couch to 5k challenge

Options

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Have just started this program. Well I'm on week 2 day 1 and found it very very hard, but I pushed on through. Reading your posts encourages me to keep going. I am doing the treadmill version. I am 51 and have never been into running, more a dancer. Not sure that even what I'm doing now can be called running more of a shuffle. Glad that I now have 48hrs to build up the courage to give it another go. :noway:
  • Theweebarrell
    Theweebarrell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi

Can you tell me where to get the treadmill version please :) and is the app for your iphone free
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have just started this program. Well I'm on week 2 day 1 and found it very very hard, but I pushed on through. Reading your posts encourages me to keep going. I am doing the treadmill version. I am 51 and have never been into running, more a dancer. Not sure that even what I'm doing now can be called running more of a shuffle. Glad that I now have 48hrs to build up the courage to give it another go. :noway:

Jen, firstly, congratulations on starting - go you! Secondly, if it's any consolation, by the end of every day of weeks 1 & 2, I was doing the zombie shamble! Honestly, it was pitiful, but like you, I persevered because I was determined to not let it beat me. (W1D3 is easier than W1D1, by the way.) I repeated W2D3 once because I wasn't convinced I was ready for W3 but you know what? I needn't have been concerned! I'll be on the last day of W3 tomorrow, and while I have no idea whether I'll find W4 difficult or not, I know I will not give up and that I *will* be able to do it. And so will you!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Hi

Can you tell me where to get the treadmill version please :) and is the app for your iphone free

Bumping this for you.

I think it's the same app, but someone else will be able to let you know. I use the Bluefin one, which I think is the official one, and is paid for but I believe runkeeper.com has a free one.

http://runkeeper.com/running-app

You might find this useful for programming runkeeper...

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

Good luck with doing c25k - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  • jamieleo30
    jamieleo30 Posts: 5
    Options
    what is te c25k etc etc , and the w1d3 wid2 etc etc ? what do they mean ? im a blonde !!!!!
  • donne103
    donne103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just joined My Fitness Pal and just started C25K today. I'm Erin, 28 years old. I have two children, whom I can thank for all the extra weight! I've lost about 15lbs over the course of the last year or so, but I really need to buckle down and make some progress. I hope this will be the time that works for me!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first run of week 7 today... it will be hard but I am looking forward to the challenge!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    what is te c25k etc etc , and the w1d3 wid2 etc etc ? what do they mean ? im a blonde !!!!!

Couch to 5km and w = week and d= day e.g. The w6d3 run is 25 minutes non stop etc.
  • jamieleo30
    jamieleo30 Posts: 5
    Options
    oh i see , many thanks for helping a blonde confused male !!!!!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hi - I just use the ordinary iphone app on the treadmill, it works fine. I'm pretty sure the app was a couple of quid I think, but there is somewhere you can download podcasts.

Just googled and found this:
    http://www.c25k.com/

There's a treadmill version on there

Hope that helps!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hi - I just use the ordinary iphone app on the treadmill, it works fine. I'm pretty sure the app was a couple of quid I think, but there is somewhere you can download podcasts.

Hope that helps!

Doh! Just realised Gok has done this all for you already - that will teach me to jump right in before checking all the posts!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Hi

Hope that helps!

Doh! Just realised Gok has done this all for you already - that will teach me to jump right in before checking all the posts!

LOL! I do that soooo much! :laugh:
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Week 3 is in the bag! I didn't feel like i was running enough so I ran extra after each interval this time. Bring on week 4!
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    I have had to go back to week 1. This old body is not at all use to running. But I am happy to stay on week 1 until my body is stronger. At least I'm moving.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    I have had to go back to week 1. This old body is not at all use to running. But I am happy to stay on week 1 until my body is stronger. At least I'm moving.

Yep - as long as you're moving! Go you for persevering!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Week 3 is in the bag! I didn't feel like i was running enough so I ran extra after each interval this time. Bring on week 4!

W3 is great, isn't it? I was the same - did extra runs at the end!
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    So I'm sticking to week 1 program till whenever for now. But tonight while power walking around our beautiful harbour, decided to try a little run/shuffle it felt good. So i kept doing it when I felt the urge. I even ran up and down the opera house steps. Not bad for a 51 year old, 97kg woman. Family worry about me walking of a night, you know being mugged. But honestly it would take a brave mugger to take on a hormonal big woman. Plus now with running try catching me. :laugh:
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    So I'm sticking to week 1 program till whenever for now. But tonight while power walking around our beautiful harbour, decided to try a little run/shuffle it felt good. So i kept doing it when I felt the urge. I even ran up and down the opera house steps. Not bad for a 51 year old, 97kg woman. Family worry about me walking of a night, you know being mugged. But honestly it would take a brave mugger to take on a hormonal big woman. Plus now with running try catching me. :laugh:

Fantastic - that's so good to hear! I'm really impressed that you can run up those steps! :flowerforyou:

I did W4D1 today and I have to say that the guy who wrote c25k knew a thing or two about psychology! The first three minutes was fine - easy even. The first three minutes of the five minute run (first one) worked me a bit harder (I'm still not 100% recovered from being ill at the weekend, so I'm guessing that's why); however, as soon as I heard that "You have two minutes to go", I perked up, and when I got told there was only one minute to go, I sped up! The same thing happened on the next two runs, although the second five minute one was much easier than the first. Isn't it great though, how even when you think you have nothing else to give, and start doubting your ability, you hear that notification and it gives you a boost?!

I'm really pleased to say that I didn't need to ice my thighs at all afterward! I'm still not convinced that in five runs' time, I'll be able to run 20 minutes non-stop but hey, I said I didn't think I'd be able to do three minutes, then five minutes! I keep telling myself, "Trust the programme. Trust the programme."!

Tell you what though - the park I run in is always windy, and today it's been exceptionally so....I'm sure running *into* the wind really helps, despite it being quite difficult at times! :laugh:
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    wow, so many people do this! i am about to start mine tonight after work. i am rubbish at running so hopefully it helps me. i am also doing 30 day shred so my legs are aching from that too.

Good luck and i hope you all succeed! x:smile:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 3. It wasn't bad, but I didn't feel like running more after I finished the program. I am a little worried that I am just not going to ever enjoy running.