Gained weight. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Options
5 or 6 wks now weighing and measuring everything, exercising as much as possible... And I've gained 4 lbs. not a quarter inch down anywhere. I'm willing to work hard, do whatever it takes. I would own it if I was laying on the couch eating chips. But I'm busting my butt with 20 mile bike rides, drinking at least 3 and sometimes 5 qts of water a day.... I am extremely discouraged to the point of depression.
One year ago I was 117 lbs. bmi 18, that was too low. Had lost due to stress and wasn't really eating. Last summer 125, felt great. Started riding bike a lot and was hungrier... Fast forward to now 167 lbs.
would love any advice please.

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Whats your calorie intake and macro breakdown?
    Would like some more information like your activity level. and maybe there are some medical issues involed that we should take into account.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise calories? Can you open your diary?
  • snorklr
    snorklr Posts: 28
    Options
    Made my diary public, can you see it?
    At first mfp told me to eat 1000 cal a day, that didn't work so I upped it to 1200. Even on days I rode bike 2 hrs, was not eating back exercise cals. Then started eating more like 1500 on days I ride hard.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your diary is still private. How tall are you? How old are you? Are you currently on any medication and do you have any medical conditions that you already know about?
  • snorklr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'7. 43 yrs. take birth control pills. Have been on Wellbutrin for years.
  • mikevandewetering
    Options
    Do you weight your food?
  • snorklr
    Options
    Yes I weigh my food
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Generic entries. Are the home made recipes yours? Entered through the recipe builder with individual ingredients weighed? You're not weighing your produce, your PB2, and quite a few other things.

Lots of ingredients measured using measuring cups and spoons. Lots of restaurant entries which are merely averages and not always accurate.

You're eating more than you think.

With regards to exercise, what are you using to calculate your burns?
  • mikevandewetering
    Options
    Yes the american metric system is not really accurate for messuring your food.
  • jcondeee
    jcondeee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You should log more accurately....
    You arent losing because you are taking in more.
    If you are, then perhaps it has something to do with the exercise calories burned...you should maybe eat 50% of what you burned? Try that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    jcondeee wrote: »
    Gaining muscle?
    Not on a caloric deficit with Cardio as the main form of exercise... if anything she should be losing muscle along with fat.

OP, have you had your thyroid checked?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I see days not logged, lots of entries by size or cups not weight not only do you have to weigh food you have to log it that way choosing entries that are correct.

jcondeee wrote: »
    Gaining muscle?

Yah no.

• snorklr
    Options
    Ok thanks. When at home I weigh everything but at work will use measuring cup or spoon. Even when I weigh food I will pick a listing that is in cups or oz if it corresponds. Maybe I have to create my own food listings, not pick ones already in the system? Yes we do eat out a lot because of travel, I will log best I can. And yes I know there were days I missed logging.
  • hhnkhl
    Options
    Eating out...that is the problem...
    No ones what really goes into the foods...
    So estimating calories on foods at restaraunts is a bad idea...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »

funny, i eat out all the time and still lose weight. i must be special :/

OP, you are eating more than you think though, barring some sort of anomalous medical condition
  • hhnkhl
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »

funny, i eat out all the time and still lose weight. i must be special :/

OP, you are eating more than you think though, barring some sort of anomalous medical condition

Ok...well OP might be eating more than their fair share outside... i have seen restaraunts where the serving size is not normal...

I eat out too. I also lost weight like you.
  • snorklr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok. Thought it was about making better choices, salad with tiny bit of low fat dressing as opposed to hamburgers, grilled instead of fried, more veggies, smaller portions... Guess I was wrong. I really thought what I was doing would make some tiny bit of progress, not gaining. Hhnkhl you look fabulous so you obviously know what you're talking about.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    An ounce is 28g. If you're off by even half an ounce of Peanut butter that's 90 more calories than you thought.

Measure in grams on a digital scale.
  • snorklr
    Options
    Yeah I love peanut butter but limit to not very often I thought. I do weigh it in g on digital scale. Again maybe I'm selecting the wrong entries because I don't take the time to scroll through them all, I pick the first one I see that looks right.