running/walking outside in AM

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    http://www.rccmsc.org/resources/get-the-facts.aspx
    Nearly 6 out of 10 sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred in their own home or at the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor.

80% are under age 30

If you're an older out of shape woman then go for it. You're probably not on the rape list. Watch out for friends and family though. They're most likely the ones after you.

Running? Oh, just look out for cars.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    ok so i have been wanting to run/walk outside in the am before work some mornings of the week. but my husband things its a bad idea to go run or walk outside in the dark alone. so now it has me a little scared of doing it. anyone else scared of doing this in the dark to or is my husband just over reacting. he said i bought u a treadmill so you can run at home and be safe and i understand that and i use it everyday but some days when im busy at night with the kdis or have appointments id like to get up early and get my run or walk in before i start my day and my treadmill is in our bedroom were he is asleep so that is out of the question.

Where I live I would feel comfortable walking or running alone in the morning. We live in a non-isolated low crime area and the street I would use is very well lit.

I guess you would have to discuss compromises with your dh so you are both happy.
    Go alone but stick to an agreed route, wear reflective clothing, etc.
    Find a human walking partner in your area or get a dog.
    Make room for the treadmill somewhere else in the house.
    Tell dh to get up an hour earlier those days and join you in your walk- or sleep somewhere else if he can't sleep through you using the treadmill.
    Do a different exercise those mornings. Try a walking workout on you tube or a dvd.
    Walk around inside your own house (not on the treadmill).
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love running outside in the morning, but I live in a safe neighbourhood. Cars are the biggest worry, so I just make sure I'm paying attention to them. When it's full on dark, I stick close to home and avoid the park and the trails more because I'm worried about an encounter with a bear or a tree root than anything else. I carry bear spray for the bears and coyotes, wear reflective items, and just pay attention to what's around me. My husband also knows when I'm out there and knows approximately where to look for me.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I walk late at night and I always have. I find that it's calming. Assuming your area is safe, I would agree with PP about running with a reflective vest so cars can see you and maybe something that lights your path. I have fallen because I couldn't see the uneven sidewalk and it sucks when you are a couple of miles from home and have to hobble back.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Live in an old "established" neighborhood and used to go out running every morning at around a.m. Had to stop. Why? IT'S DARK OUT THERE! Sidewalks heaved up and uneven made running on the sidewalk dangerous so every body uses the street. So I ran in the street.

Unfortunately, there are holes in the street. Some of them are fairly small but still big enough to do damage. I started taking a lot of undesired nosedives. And, when I stepped into a pothole about 15" long by four wide... foot went in, did not come out. Ripped up my foot, ankle, knee, AND hip. (And my elbows and shoulders weren't too happy either!)

Three months' of recovery later is when I invested in a high quality, high efficiency treadmill. (Then came the rest of the equipment and a third of my basement is now a home gym.) I still run, but now it is at 4:30a.m. and it can turn on the fan while I run. I also watch movies online, read books online, and write (laptops are SO versatile!) while I do my morning miles.

So, personally, I would not commend to anyone to run outside in the morning. But, as you can see, I have a built-in bias. Have you considered a gym? Some have very reasonable month-to-month rates and are open very early (some even 24/7). Or you could always draft hubby to run with you!
    ;-)

I just broke my leg running and I'm still going to run outside when it heals.
    Because I despise treadmills that much.

You can do the same amount of damage running on a treadmill as you did on the road too btw. So it's really not any safer, just more well-lit.
  • jimHofmann
    jimHofmann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My sister was an early-morning paper boy and so she dressed the part - looking like a boy, that is. She used a baggy male sweat suit with a hoodie and wore sneakers a dude would wear. It's a good job for getting exercise - she was a long distance runner in high school and it certainly helped her stamina and strength.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Nearly 6 out of 10 sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred in their own home or at the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor.

80% are under age 30

If you're an older out of shape woman then go for it. You're probably not on the rape list. Watch out for friends and family though. They're most likely the ones after you.

i am not older im under 30 lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

80% are under age 30

All types of women are raped. All types. Older women are raped, out of shape women are raped. There is no "rape list." The reason why most assaults take place at home or the home of someone close to the victim is because most women are assaulted by someone who is known to them. But this doesn't mean that we should ignore the possibility of being assaulted by someone that we don't know.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

80% are under age 30

All types of women are raped. All types. Older women are raped, out of shape women are raped. There is no "rape list." The reason why most assaults take place at home or the home of someone close to the victim is because most women are assaulted by someone who is known to them. But this doesn't mean that we should ignore the possibility of being assaulted by someone that we don't know.

exactly!!! anyone can get raped!! sad that people still have that mindset.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

80% are under age 30

There is no such thing as a "rape list". It's a crime that knows no limit... age, shape... or gender.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to carry on your runs...

...just make sure you believe you me know how to use it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Waffle's post is sarcasm.

Just saying.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Just saying.

Even if it's sarcasm, it's incredibly inappropriate and fosters the rape culture that we are already living in. Same as the person who's teenage sister dressed like a boy to deliver papers. Boys get kidnapped and assaulted, too, not just girls.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Just saying.

Pretty sure it didn't come across as such.

Just saying.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You just have to read more of Waffle..
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I walk outside in the very early mornings before work when it is still dark out. My best advice is to make sure you are visible to motorists if you are walking/running near roads or streets, and to be aware of your surroundings and people. Use caution as you should anytime.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Whatever you decide to carry on your runs...

...just make sure you believe you me know how to use it.

I do..

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ;
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You just have to read more of Waffle..

And continue fostering the rape culture???

:huh:

No thanks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts. But my last walk of the day is around 8 in the pm. If they're gonna get me it will be morning afternoon or night lol

Guns and mace etc etc are banned here. so the only thing I have are my wits...