The curse of the BAGEL

Options
BeaBizzy
BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
I have an issue with cheesy jalapeno bagels.

DH brings them home and I eat them. I can easily resist all the other pasteries he brings home. But when it comes to fresh chewy bagels with baked on cheese and jalapenos I loose every ounce of will power.

I need to find a healthy replacement, not for DH, but for my insane appetite for fresh baked chewy breads especially if topped with cheesy jalapenos. Why, I even go dumpster diving to knock out the bits of cheese and jalapenos that fell to the bottom of the bag.

If I can't find a healthy substitute for bagels I may have join BAGELS ANNONIMOUS ... Seriously :-((

Replies

• redoakcircus
    Options
    I have a bagel every morning for breakfast and can still lose weight. Bagels are delicious.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Cheesy jalapeno bagels sound amazing!! You're making me hungry! LOL I believe I'd be making that fit into my day and cutting elsewhere to allow for something you clearly enjoy :)
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    DH=darling husband, dear husband
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    @MrM27 DH means "Dear Husband" (or "Dang Husband", if one does not like their DH, LOL).

As far as substitution--there are none. I just make the bagel fit my day (mmm, I like the fresh made Cheddar Herb bagels at my university). It's like 350-400 calories. That's my happy breakfast number, so it fits just perfectly. I may have to eat less rice and more chicken for dinner, for example, to reach my protein goal--but it's a fair trade, IMHO.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I'm getting good tired of seeing it and not knowing what it means, what does DH mean? Watch it be something so stupidly easy to figure out.

As far as your bagels go, I have no advice because I live in NYC and the only substitute for a bagel allowed here is a different flavor bagel.

DH = Dear Husband
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm getting good tired of seeing it and not knowing what it means, what does DH mean? Watch it be something so stupidly easy to figure out.

As far as your bagels go, I have no advice because I live in NYC and the only substitute for a bagel allowed here is a different flavor bagel.

Hear, hear!

*am not from NY*
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @MrM27 DH means "Dear Husband" (or "Dang Husband", if one does not like their DH, LOL).

Well, that was an underwhelming answer. I knew it wasn't going to be something cool.

What were you expecting? Designated hitter? Desperate Housewives? Diamond Head (Hawaii)? ;)

ETA: Meh, those aren't very cool, either :/
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    As for the cheesy jalapeno bagels (which sounds awesome, btw), can you not fit them into your calorie goal?

Thomas Plain Bagel - 260 cals // 51 carbs // 9g protein
    28g Shredded Cheddar cheese - 110 cals // 1 carb //7g protein
    50g Jalapenos - 15 cals // 3 carbs // 1g protein

Those are some pretty decent macros.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    None of those are real bagels.

...Well, not to a Montrealer, anyway.

These are proper bagels:

20091111-montrealbagels-stviateur.jpg
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :'(:'(:'( I live in Iowa, couldn't get a proper bagel to save my soul
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have similar problems with fresh, chewy, delicious bread-type products. Bagels are certainly at the top of the list (though my drug of choice is cheddar bacon). The ones I get easily exceed 700 calories once you get cream cheese on them, and that's roughly half my calorie goal for the day, so it's not something you can just "work in" every day, certainly (at least not on calorie goals on the lower end of the curve).

If I were you (and I nearly am), here's what I would do - ask your husband very nicely to bring them home with far less regularity. Maybe work out an interval that you can manage - once per week, twice a month, whatever. Then, on the designated days, make it work. Take a long walk, skip lunch, whatever. Don't bother looking for substitutes - you'll just end up feeling unsatisfied (I know I do - grocery store bagels might as well be stale Wonder Bread compared to a proper bagel). Look forward to the real thing, enjoy the heck out of it, log it, and move on.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Please, now we have to hear again about the Montreal nonsense? DYEJewish?

You wouldn't call it nonsense if you'd tried them.

And yes, I happen to be Jewish. What's your point?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like bagels fine, whatever, but wouldn't waste many calories on them (no, I don't live in NYC, yeah, yeah, I'm sure they are great). The attraction here, to me, is the cheese and jalapenos, so I'd advise incorporating those ingredients into your dinner.

Or if you really love the bagels, have them, just not quite so frequently or just half if you want to save calories.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Split it. I just eat the top one day, the bottom another.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    None of those are real bagels.

...Well, not to a Montrealer, anyway.

These are proper bagels:

20091111-montrealbagels-stviateur.jpg

Are those salt bagels?!?!?! :heart:

What about baked jalapeño poppers? Same flavor but maybe less of a compulsion?