Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

Not surprised to see you give an opinion like that.

I'm from New Orleans, where REAL bread is served.

Not surprised to see anything that you're surprised at.

You...quoted yourself. Are you looking in the mirror and commenting on MFP?!?

You need to read more carefully.

FX45FQw.png?1

LOL MFP fail ….
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've never liked bagels; way too tough and chewy and always seemed odd to me. Then I found out they were boiled in water and understood why they were that way.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm pretty sure if you want real bread, you have to go to Europe. European bread puts anything in North America to shame.
    Not any more......or at least that's been my experience over the last decade.....

Fair enough. It's been a while since I was there. Since then, I've met a few European bakers who refuse to any ingredients that aren't from Europe because they couldn't find anything from here that's up to snuff.

Times do change though. Europe used to be an economic powerhouse. Now look that them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't know. I'm pretty sure if you want real bread, you have to go to Europe. European bread puts anything in North America to shame.
    Not any more......or at least that's been my experience over the last decade.....

Fair enough. It's been a while since I was there. Since then, I've met a few European bakers who refuse to any ingredients that aren't from Europe because they couldn't find anything from here that's up to snuff.

Times do change though. Europe used to be an economic powerhouse. Now look that them.
    Don't get me wrong, Europe is the epicentre for bread, and the middle east and India aren't too shabby either but lately some of the bread products have been outstanding. Humble bread for example is a guy that bought a farm in my area and turned it into the largest wood burning oven I've ever seen and mills his own heritage grain from the area as well and can't keep up to demand at 7.00 for a kilo loaf with about 7 different varieties. \premier out of Quebec is another larger bakers that's doing it right, Ace bakery in Toronto was probably the first to take bread in Ontario to another level about 20 years ago. Anyway if you ever get to Paris you have to try a baguette from Le Grenier a Pain or the almond croissants...I miss Paris.

• kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    None of those are real bagels.

...Well, not to a Montrealer, anyway.

These are proper bagels:

20091111-montrealbagels-stviateur.jpg

I hear ya!

I try to lose weight doing low carb/keto..

The one thing that makes me derail is a good ol sesame bagel.. or everything bagel.

I just drooled all over my keyboard.

But if you're not restricting carbs, just eat the bagel and modify your day elsewhere like many said.. Unless you can't stop at one, then abstinence my dear :'(
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Too true and what a great thing.

And as far as NOLA? OK, I'll give you beignets; but come out to SF for some fresh, hot, crusty sourdough.

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As far as your bagels go, I have no advice because I live in NYC and the only substitute for a bagel allowed here is a different flavor bagel.

I haven't touched one since I started cutting, but you are right there.

Now I'm reminded of a place near where I used to work (and glad I don't wor there anymore as I was in the bagel place every day) on Westchester Ave. and St. Theresa's. In a very unlikely place for bagels, yet among - if not THE - best I ever had.

Their sun dried tomato bagels... delicious. Pop open the bag and the smell of tomatoes hit you like a brick.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Actually I would say what the majority of people are saying here. Bagels are not the issue!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Oh fresh New York bagels... I miss you so.

I know nothing of this Montreal nonsense.

Bread? Meh. You can get great bread all over the Northeast. I miss that too.
    It's well known that NY'ers sneak up to Montreal for bagels and the lox and crème cheese, not to mention the Montreal smoked meat. Your just in denial.

Yes, I'm sure they do. As would anyone committing such a disgraceful act. :wink:

Personally, I'm kind of glad that there's no place local to buy good bagels. Though I will settle for a quasi-bagel every now and again. If I want an authentic bagel, I have to make my own. Same with hot pretzels. Usually the pretzels win. I like them just as well, they're lower cal, the recipe I have is pretty much perfect, I have invested a decent amount of money in lye, and I have some demanding pretzel fans. With the bagels I'm on my own. No one here likes bagels that are more than bread shaped into a ring. :confused:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This I can believe. Their food and agricultural standards are much more restrictive than North American standards.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Not surprised to see anything that you're surprised at.

You...quoted yourself. Are you looking in the mirror and commenting on MFP?!?

You need to read more carefully.

Hey, I get it. The quote button can be tricky.......hehehe.. . .

• xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oooh Bagels. I might have to join BAGELS ANNONIMOUS with you. God, they're good. They go with everything. Never had the cheesy jalapeno bagels, but they sound delicious (cheese good, jalapenos goood, bagels gooooood...what's not to like).
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    As far as your bagels go, I have no advice because I live in NYC and the only substitute for a bagel allowed here is a different flavor bagel.

I haven't touched one since I started cutting, but you are right there.

Now I'm reminded of a place near where I used to work (and glad I don't wor there anymore as I was in the bagel place every day) on Westchester Ave. and St. Theresa's. In a very unlikely place for bagels, yet among - if not THE - best I ever had.

Their sun dried tomato bagels... delicious. Pop open the bag and the smell of tomatoes hit you like a brick.

Mouth watering.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat a Schar Gluten free bagel twice a week and have not gained any weight back while on maintenance from them. Since you like them I would try to fit them into your calorie intake for the day.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I had a bagel this morning in honor of this thread…and because it is deadlift day...
  • scratchdesk
    scratchdesk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a bagel and egg white breakfast sandwich more days than not. You can cut out the middle of the bagel and just use the smaller top and bottom 1/3 and save a lot of calories and still get the taste you crave. Depending on what else I have on it my sandwich is around 300-350 cal.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Not all bagels are created equal, if it's a really fantastic bagel I would make room for it within your macro/calorie alotments. Is this happening every day or just once a week? If it's every day then I think DH needs to be nicely told maybe lay off bringing home the baked goods a bit. If it once or twice a week then I don't know that that conversation needs to be had. Sometimes people don't know when they are sabotaging you and I think it's OK to let them know about it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Not all bagels are created equal, if it's a really fantastic bagel I would make room for it within your macro/calorie alotments. Is this happening every day or just once a week? If it's every day then I think DH needs to be nicely told maybe lay off bringing home the baked goods a bit. If it once or twice a week then I don't know that that conversation needs to be had. Sometimes people don't know when they are sabotaging you and I think it's OK to let them know about it.

Why? If op is in a deficit why can't she have a bagel everyday????
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Not sure where this great southern bread thing is coming from...in my experience as soon as you go below the Mason Dixon line the bread gets progressively worse as you go south. Of course I'm sure there are some bastians of good bread but in general it's the North East/Mid Atlantic and West Coast (San Fran for sure) where the good USA bread is at!