How to stop yourself from giving in to cravings?

I have no willpower. At all. Please help

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Make meal plans. That way you wont have to think about what you're going to eat next.
    Also, make sure you include some of the things you like and have cravings for. If you restrict yourself , you'll fail and end on a binge.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Pre logging helps. You can build in treats but, as you prelog you learn what keeps you satisfied and what can sometimes lead to cravings. I had to stop eating salads because every time I eat one I want to eat every junky like food in my house. Normally I have great willpower.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Eat lots of vegetables for your meals, and move more for some extra exercise calories. Today I had candy, chocolate, and chips, and it was all within my calories for the day :)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    I eat what I'm craving and fit it into my calories. Once you no longer see certain foods as bad or forbidden, you won't be so tempted to binge on them. It's the only thing that works for me personally.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    I really find that pre-logging helps as well.
  • Make a plan. Don't buy things that tempt you to overdo it. Allow treats that fit within your goals. Replace the things you're wanting to avoid with other things that are lower-cal.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Pre-logging all the way. I log my meals first, and keep my mind focused on meal times, then scatter around the surplus calories with snacks which I may or may not eat depending on whether I get peckish or not.

Which reminds me, it's almost Fiber One Brownie time. They are not awful, no matter what you've heard, but don't eat more than one per day, especially not together as a meal. Yikes.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Distraction really helps! If you are tempted to over indulge after you are out of calories for the day, distract yourself! Read, go for a walk, call a friend etc. most cravings WILL go away within a matter of minutes if you get your mind off food
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Will power is leaving the junk in the store.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    I log it and then eat it.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    I usually want a snack a couple of hours after supper. This is when I usually want chips or ice cream. I try drinking water. If this doesn't help, I go to bed. Seriously. That is the only thing keeping me from downing a whole bag of dill pickle potato chips.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Eat what you want in moderation. If you don't have enough calories left to eat what you want today, then have it tomorrow when you do have the calories.

Don't waste calories on foods you hate eating, no matter what made-up magical properties certain bloggers and websites and friends assign to it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    @SecretGift what's going on with your will power or lack there of..

Are you new to MFP (from your post I think so).

You ask for help stopping cravings? What seems to be a trigger or reason for any cravings?
    Have you been trying for a week or more to log all your foods you eat and stay within your calorie goal or have you possibly blown it each day?

We are all human and starting on week one sucks. LOL It does get easier if you stick to this and use the MFP tool.

I also do pre-logging and sometimes I log in all day and change things up so that I am accountable and do what I need to do to not go over my calories..

Perhaps there is something more you can share about your situation??????
  • mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    If you are a spur of the moment cheater (with food), try brushing your teeth. For most people, eating right afterwards is not appealing so it may give you the time you need for the craving to pass.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    I log up to a few days in advance and plan out my meals and snacks. I try to add a "yummy" snack, one that I will look forward to (like a mini choc bar or something). By planning it out, I feel like there is more guidance, because I know if I don't stick to it, then I will go off track. It also allows me to plan my calories in a way where I can still enjoy my snacks, and stay within my goals
  • MelkaBielka
    MelkaBielka Posts: 36 Member
    SecretGift wrote: »
    I have no willpower. At all. Please help

I know exactly how you feel, I am very much the same way. I don't know if this will work for you, but I tend to cook extra when I cook my meals and then leave the extra in the fridge for when I have cravings. For instance, I cooked chicken and sautéed veggies this week and put the extra in the fridge in Tupperware. Last night I got hungry around 10pm (which is when I crave and eat crappy foods) and measured out and heated up the leftover veggies with a piece of chicken. I also make it a point to eat the veggies first and eat anything else on the plate after. It's not about denying yourself pleasure from food or eating tasty things, but rather setting yourself up for success when you are thinking clearly and planning for those times when you know you will reach for less healthy things. If I make it impossible to eat badly, most of the time I won't eat badly. You have to forgive yourself too. We are all human, and our willpower will only last so long. Just remember, if you slip halfway up the mountain, you don't have to go back to the bottom, just to the last anchor you have placed for yourself. Keep on climbing :)
  • connorpat1995
    connorpat1995 Posts: 4 Member
    1) I eat a lot of peanut butter
    2) I give myself a cheat day every time I drop 2 pounds
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Yeah, I'll also go along with the prelogging your meals... this also includes foods, snacks that you love. You want some chocolate? Include it into your day, you want cookies, chips? Include it into your day. And when I say include it into your day, I'm not saying log the whole bag... I'm saying a serving or two. You can even separate them into snack bags where you know how much is there already... and stick to that. :flowerforyou:
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    I've been eating a protein rich breakfast, a big salad for lunch and a smaller dinner. It has kept me feeling content because I love snacking on biscuits so I'm trying to get out of that. When I do feel like I'm "hungry" even though I know i'm not, I drink plenty of water or have some greek yoghurt if the craving is still there.
    If you do love snacking then maybe look into some healthier options for most snacks and have a few in there that you can't go without but remember to stay within your calories. It gets better as you change the way you eat, the cravings slowly disappear.
  • adriantrufo
    adriantrufo Posts: 5 Member
    Dont go to the store hungry, EVER.

If you feel a binge coming, have some fiber-rich cereal (around 30-40 grams) like All Bran. It will fill you up big time and you will eat less. Plus, some of the fat should be absorved by the fiber so it will be less damaging.

Throw all of your junk food away ASAP, dont keep anyhing at home. Doing it after a binge works great, willpower is usually stronger after its weakest moment.

If you feel like going to the store, take off your pants and shoes in order to make it a hassle to go.

If you are anything like me, you will find a way to give in and rationalize it away! The next day get back on track and try not to fall off the wagon for 7 or 10 days.

I also find it that the first few days after a binge are the hardest, once you get past that point, it starts getting easier. I would also recommend going a little extreme and dont fall to any cravins AT ALL for one month, and plan a big meal for when you finish it. You should be seeing results both on the scale and in the mirror, and would not want to throw it all away!

As a final note, willpower is all about YOU. It doesnt matter what we say or if you post so we try to stop you before eating what you shouldnt, because you will find a way to convince yourself anyway.
    You have to find the reason to lose weight by yourself and IN yourself, be it looking more attractive in the eyes of men/women, general health or just to prove yourself and (and your old fatself) that you can!
    Until you do so, its all just words on the internet.