How to stop yourself from giving in to cravings?

2»

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Dont go to the store hungry, EVER.

If you feel a binge coming, have some fiber-rich cereal (around 30-40 grams) like All Bran. It will fill you up big time and you will eat less. Plus, some of the fat should be absorved by the fiber so it will be less damaging.

Throw all of your junk food away ASAP, dont keep anyhing at home. Doing it after a binge works great, willpower is usually stronger after its weakest moment.

If you feel like going to the store, take off your pants and shoes in order to make it a hassle to go.

If you are anything like me, you will find a way to give in and rationalize it away! The next day get back on track and try not to fall off the wagon for 7 or 10 days.

I also find it that the first few days after a binge are the hardest, once you get past that point, it starts getting easier. I would also recommend going a little extreme and dont fall to any cravins AT ALL for one month, and plan a big meal for when you finish it. You should be seeing results both on the scale and in the mirror, and would not want to throw it all away!

As a final note, willpower is all about YOU. It doesnt matter what we say or if you post so we try to stop you before eating what you shouldnt, because you will find a way to convince yourself anyway.
    You have to find the reason to lose weight by yourself and IN yourself, be it looking more attractive in the eyes of men/women, general health or just to prove yourself and (and your old fatself) that you can!
    Until you do so, its all just words on the internet.

If you want to go to the store, get naked?! What the hell?!

giphy.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    What's the context in which you are giving in? Stuff at home, buying stuff when you are out, parties, etc.? If we know the details we may have experience with similar things.

Beyond that, I agree with those who say it's easier to resist if you have a plan and it involves food you will enjoy. I also find that I tend to be more satisfied (and find it easier to tell myself I can wait until my next planned meal or snack) if I include a reasonable amount of food (veggies help with this) and also protein and fat as part of my meals. I often like to have a little bit of something sweet (like ice cream) after dinner if my calories allow it, as it's something to look forward to and not wanted to have to forgo that helps me keep my calories in check and have willpower with random snacky things that might seem appealing in the moment but aren't really worth the calories to me. I can tell myself that if I just wait I will have ice cream that evening (or whatever your treat of choice is--sometimes I have good cheese as a snack or chocolate).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    bluworld wrote: »
    Will power is leaving the junk in the store.

yeah, more or less. just don't keep stuff that makes you go nuts in the house. especially not huge tubs or boxes or bags of whatever.

like, have some, but just make it a single portion, outside of the house, so it's more of a hassle to do it.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I eat what I'm craving and fit it into my calories. Once you no longer see certain foods as bad or forbidden, you won't be so tempted to binge on them. It's the only thing that works for me personally.

Same as this^^.
    If i crave something, i just have it.
    Otherwise, the craving just gets worse and i'll end up eating twice as much of it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    It is okay to enjoy junk food in moderation. Just log it before you eat it. Just the act of logging what I am about to eat is enough for me to reconsider eating more than the appropriate portion. Like right now I'd like to eat the whole cheesecake that is in my freezer. But since a slice is going to cost me 400 calories and I want to end my day with a deficit, preferably before adding in this evening's workout, I will restrain myself and enjoy the small portion.

I add a small sweet to my lunch for work every day. Miniatures of your favorite candy are pretty reasonable. Especially if you only enjoy one piece instead of the 3-5 that is what the bag says is one portion. ;)

If you don 't deny yourself the things you enjoy you won't have the overwhelming cravings so badly. I honestly find that when I deny myself even the smallest bite of a thing I love, the cravings will be much much worse than if I just go ahead and enjoy a modest amount of it. It's a psychological issue not a physiological one. Sure maybe weight loss will be a little slower but I a a lot less likely to fail in the long run.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I either tell my appetite to shut up until the next meal and stick to the menu I've planned for the day, or I jam a fun-sized snickers in it. I understand that's not an option for everyone.
  • csb66
    csb66 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks everyone, excellent advice. I usually don't give myself a cheat day because Im not where I want to be as of yet, but I don't deny myself anything. however i've made a commitment to cut out all junk foods, chips, cookies, candy (well except a piece of dark choc) and fast food because I was so terrible when I was eating all that crap and just the thought of starting all over again depresses me so much I just cant and wont give in to the madness of cravings. Dont get me wrong I would love some ice cream right now, but I will eat the entire PINt! hahaha.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Tasty gum, MIO on water, run errands, clean
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    No one is born with "will power". It's learned behavior.
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    I haven't read the other posts so please forgive me if this is repeated information.

For me, a craving is the equivalent of a whiny child. If I listen to this child, they will continue to whine. If I give in to this child, I will have taught them that whining works. If I allow the child to whine for 2 hours and then give in, I have taught the child to keep it up for 2 hours.

On the other hand, if I flat out refuse to listen and go get involved in something else, the whiny child learns to give up. If I am very consistent in not giving in to this child, they don't begin the whining in the first place because they know it will do no good at all.

It doesn't take more than a few days before the whiny child learns not to whine.

My cravings have lost their intensity because I refuse to listen or give in. I go find something else to focus on. I can be as stubborn as my craving.

I hope this is helpful to you.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    My best strategy is avoidance. I keep it out of my house. If I'm at a party, I stay the hell away from the snacks... If all the people are gathered there, I'll ask some people to join me on the couch and I would let them know it's so I'm not tempted by all the food... Or I'll plant myself next to the cut up vegetables. I also eat before a party because usually the meal option is pizza and I don't want to be hungry for that.

At work, I drink lots of tea all day and only permit myself office snacks after lunch.... Also I select the lower calorie non-crave-inducing ones for me. I won't grab the pringles because I know eating pringles will make me want more pringles. I also told everyone there that I'm trying to lose weight, so that helps me too because I can count on some of them to comment - which I don't want to hear so that helps me stay on point. I can also count on them to keep it in mind when we are trying to figure out what to have for lunch.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Distract yourself. Whenever I get a craving, I instantly do something else, preferably with my hands. When I feel hungry outside of planned meal times, I ask myself if a healthy snack will satisfy? If the answer is no, then I am not really hungry so I should try to distract myself.

Here are some of the distractions I use to resist cravings:
    -Playing video games, hands engaged, mind distracted!
    -Reading books, researching stuff online.
    -Brush your teeth of chew gum, you might be less inclined to snack.
    -Drink coffee or water.
    -Yard work, house work, etc.
    -Go for a walk, or just leave your house to go somewhere there is no quick access to snacks.
    -Go for a drive.
    -If you are still hungry, eat a healthier snack than you have in mind, or a smaller, less caloric version of your craving.

If you do give in, it is important to not stress about it. We're all human, it happens, move on.
  • MrzSnickers
    MrzSnickers Posts: 14 Member
    SecretGift wrote: »
    I have no willpower. At all. Please help

Learn recipes of everything you crave. Make them yourself. Alter the ingredients. All the work to make these things may deter you but seeing how much goes into just trying to repliacate these bad foods. Then prepack half or 1/3 serving size of stuff. All this work eventually you wont bother trying to fit junk food into your schedule. I loved snickers. Chicolate cake . Icae cream. Doritoes, found alternatives for all. Now i dont even bother
  • justinee927
    justinee927 Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2015
    First thing Thing I do in the morning is weigh out my food and pre pack my breakfast lunch and snacks. It's helps me calculate the calories for the day and I can avoid buying something quick or snacking on other things because I have my prepacked food ready to go!

A little about me:
    Anyone feel free to add me. I've been using my fitness pal for about 4 months. I have a 151 day streak!!! Woo! I've lost 47 pounds in four months so far with MFP.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    I create healthy alternatives....high protein angel food cupcakes that are only 35 calories, avachoco mousse.....etc. if you know you are going to indulge then find some healthy indulgences
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    bluworld wrote: »
    Will power is leaving the junk in the store.

Totally agree! I don't buy cookies or potato chips anymore. If my husband and/or adult kids want some, they can buy their own and eat them out of my presence.
  • adriantrufo
    adriantrufo Posts: 5 Member
    If you feel like going to the store, take off your pants and shoes in order to make it a hassle to go.

make it a hassle to go
    make it a hassle to go
    make it a hassle to go
    make it a hassle to go
    make it a hassle to go

If you want to go to the store, get naked?! What the hell?!

giphy.gif

Not even reading the entire sentence. Lazy much?
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    i used to be the same way - no will power at all. if i wanted a do-nut (my weakness) i would get in the car and drive 10 miles to get them and eat a half dozen on my way home. i found a pair of shorts that i used to wear when i was at my goal weight...i hung them on a pretty hanger i my closet where i can see them every morning. every time i want donuts (or any food that isn't within my calorie goal) i will just think of wearing those shorts again and the craving goes away!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Pre-logging all the way. I log my meals first, and keep my mind focused on meal times, then scatter around the surplus calories with snacks which I may or may not eat depending on whether I get peckish or not.

Which reminds me, it's almost Fiber One Brownie time. They are not awful, no matter what you've heard, but don't eat more than one per day, especially not together as a meal. Yikes.

i agree with pre-logging. it really helps when i start with dinner, log-in everything i will make for dinner that way i know how many cals i'll have for the rest of the day.

i LO <3 E those fiber one snacks. i get the lemon - they are only 90 cals!