Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's 5000 calorie a day diet

Options
geotrice
geotrice Posts: 274 Member
Just read that Johnson eats 5000 calories a day and it seems he only does cardio for an hour and weights for 90 minutes.
http://news.yahoo.com/dwayne-rock-johnsons-5000-calorie-185100320.html
How the frick is he not a blob? I mean I expected that he'd being eating more calories than normal but 5000? During a bulking cycle but still wow. Crazy. This article must be inaccurate or not decribe the full picture.

Thoughts? How does one get even close to that? His grocery bill must be huge!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    it's not unreasonable, he's well over 6ft tall and clearly holds a lot of muscle mass.

I train with a few people who maintain on 4000 calories and are nowhere near as big.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall he is, but he sure as hell has a TON of lean body mass to fuel. 5K is a "guess" of the article writer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he needs well over 3000 just to maintain, and if he's a taller guy, 5000 might not be unreasonable.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Just read that Johnson eats 5000 calories a day and it seems he only does cardio for an hour and weights for 90 minutes.
    http://news.yahoo.com/dwayne-rock-johnsons-5000-calorie-185100320.html
    How the frick is he not a blob? I mean I expected that he'd being eating more calories than normal but 5000? During a bulking cycle but still wow. Crazy. This article must be inaccurate or not decribe the full picture.

Thoughts? How does one get even close to that? His grocery bill must be huge!

He probably doesn't sit around at a desk all day long....

When I was in the military I ate around 5000 calories per day and the only cardio I did was run 3 miles every day...back then, that took me about 25 minutes tops...but I was up and on my feet all day and training and doing other things, not sitting around on my *kitten* like I do now.

Given that he is actually an athlete, I"m going to guess that he's just pretty active in general. You don't have to be doing some deliberate cardio or whatever to burn calories.

I would also add that I have a desk job and sit most of the day...but I ride for about an hour 4x weekly and usually a 2 hour ride on the weekends and I do some lifting a few nights per week and I easily maintain on about 3,000...so 5,000 for someone of his stature (he's a huge dude and I'm like 5'10" and a buck 85) and likely a very active activity level doesn't seem at all unreasonable.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    according to google he's 6 5", that's one big dude.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »
    according to google he's 6 5", that's one big dude.

Wow. I didn't know he was that tall. at 6'5" with all that muscle? 5K is believable to me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »
    according to google he's 6 5", that's one big gorgeous dude.

FTFY (Oh, wait, maybe that was just for me. He makes me drool. :* )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    You do know he's also on PED's? Gear makes a big difference for someone if they are also in great shape. He's also big a hell. 6'4 and 260lbs. The standard BMR for maintenance for someone of that stature is about 2400 calories. So betting his TDEE is around 4200.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    6-3... about 260 lbs... I have heard he does eat near 5K calories/day... BUT just to prepare for his roles... he does NOT maintain that diet year round...as for the grocery bill?? I am sure he doesn't see it.. I'd bet his cook/chef/nutritionist just passes the invoice off to the accountant.
  • geotrice
    Options
    Oh yeah, no. He's a very tall muscular guy. I mean all the props in the world to him. It's just a bit shocking.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't find that surprising. I'm currently 6' and 230 lbs. I maintain at 2600 calories and I'm rather inactive. If I lived an active lifestyle, 5000 calories/day is not a stretch of the imagination.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You do know he's also on PED's? Gear makes a big difference for someone if they are also in great shape. He's also big a hell. 6'4 and 260lbs. The standard BMR for maintenance for someone of that stature is about 2400 calories. So betting his TDEE is around 4200.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And you know this how? How do you know that he is on PED?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It actually seems conservative to me. He a big guy. Tall, tons of muscle... he's gotta feed those muscles. Plus he's not exactly sedentary, is he?
  • geotrice
    Options
    Oh man and all that cod. I wonder how many freezers of cod he has. Or if the local market just makes a daily delivery to his door. So much cod. Is that even healthy? Could that much fish be dangerous? I don't eat much cod myself but I do eat tuna. And there's articles about the mercury levels in fish saying it's safe but in moderation.

Sorry. My mind just imploded.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wouldn't say that I know he is but I would bet my left hand.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You know I'm a big fan of his movies and have never heard anything bad about him in the news. Its good to see such high profile people living a healthy active life style..

Great work Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson!!

As for the Mercury in foods I use to eat a pound of shrimp every day and did so for a decade with no issues. I eat three cans of Tuna everyday now and do shrimp once or twice a week its just great lean protein.

Thank you BUBBA Forest gump for keeping shrimp interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09KL2HUXE6Q
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that the man is probably moving most of his day. I follow his instagram and he wakes up 3/4am and is in the gym. He posts videos of some of his lifting/workouts - he's not just standing around in the gym for 30min. Also, he is shooting a show same day, as well as, making multiple (on and off tv) appearances. Think of all the walking he does in one day just to get around. He's a big dude + working out + all his daily activity doesn't make his amount of calories so unlikely.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're joking, right? Look at pictures when he wrestled and now. No one is saying he doesn't work hard.. he busts his *kitten*. But 6'4, 260, all muscle... come on now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Oh man and all that cod. I wonder how many freezers of cod he has. Or if the local market just makes a daily delivery to his door. So much cod. Is that even healthy? Could that much fish be dangerous? I don't eat much cod myself but I do eat tuna. And there's articles about the mercury levels in fish saying it's safe but in moderation.

Sorry. My mind just imploded.

Cod is a low mercury fish
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    With all that cod, it would be impossible to NOT smell what The Rock is cookin'.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    With all that cod, it would be impossible to NOT smell what The Rock is cookin'.

I see what you did there...