Need help - really not losing

Options
2»

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have weighed my food in the past and have a good idea on what 4 ounces looks like. I also wear a Fitbit all day to help track calories burned. But maybe it's time to start weighing my food again. I have incorporated weight training into my daily routine.

Thanks all
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that the following habits lead to success with weight loss.
    1) weigh or measure most food and log it asap in MFP
    2) drink enough water consistently throughout the day. Current research suggest that we should aim for 1/2 our body weight at least in oz. I weigh 152 /2 = at least 76 oz.
    3) get plenty of sleep....sounds odd but sleep is often overlooked and can drastically change your ability to put in the work needed to lose weight
    4) get enough protein in your diet.
    5) work hard with your exercises. Make sure to really put in the effort to get the good endorphin rush to reward yourself for your efforts.
    6) be patient with your body. Even if it doesn't seem like it your body is doing a lot of jobs at one time so it is necessary to keep a positive attitude. If you are too hard on yourself you will add stress, which is known to cause hormones like cortisol that make dieting even harder.
    Good luck and I hope this helps!
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat the same food, you need to weigh all solids. There's a video on YouTube that shows how very off our eyes can be at determining portion. A trainer put two almost identical meals for one day side by side, yet there was over 1000 Cals difference. You should check it out because that could be what's slowing your loss.

This video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

Yes! I was in shock at how they look so similar to my eye but just the slight differences made such a huge caloric difference.
  • justinee927
    justinee927 Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey! Anyone feel free to add me. I've been using my fitness pal for about 4 months. I have a 151 day streak!!! Woo! I've lost 47 pounds in four months so far with MFP.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that tried everything to lose weight and she couldn't finally after more then a year of trying to went to a naturopath that told her her body was too acidic. And it was confusing her system into storing her fat and not allowing it to burn off. She took a natural supplement to balance her acid level in her body and immediately started dropping pounds. She had lost weight before but this time she just new there was something wrong.
    I would go see a naturopath and see what they can tell you !

EW NO.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat the same food, you need to weigh all solids. There's a video on YouTube that shows how very off our eyes can be at determining portion. A trainer put two almost identical meals for one day side by side, yet there was over 1000 Cals difference. You should check it out because that could be what's slowing your loss.

This video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

Hey, thaks for the video! There'll always be someone who appreciates it (besides the op i mean). I found it very interesting. Short and to the point, which makes it twice as good.

I'm having trouble loosing weight as well (being that in the past I usually had way less to lose, yet I lost it way more quickly... go figure), and even though I got on board with the food scale ordeal, I'm still stubborn about weighing every little GD thing x.X Haha. I mean, 1/2 cup of rice is 1/2 cup of rice, right? A few splashes of olive oil in the family salad is 1/2 tbsp per person, right? Wrong =/

It's a drag when you're not in charge of the kitchen. When I take charge I log I all, but I don't particularly like cooking. Sigh...

But at least it's a whole new thing you can focus on, OP. An important one ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You may have weighed your food in the past, but that has no bearing now if you're not losing weight.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. To do that, you need to make sure that you have an accurate assessment of how many calories you need to eat to lose weight.

Have you calculated that amount in MFP?

The most common reason that people don't lose weight is that they are eating more than they think. This is usually due to errors in logging. The most frequent logging errors come about because people aren't properly assessing the amount of food they're eating. Get a food scale. Weigh ALL solids, including nut butters and condiments. Measure all caloric liquids. Verify that you select the correct data base entry when logging your food choice through either the packing or an independent website like the USDA or nutrtitiondata.self.com.

The second most common error comes about when people eat back too many exercise calories. I'm not familiar with how Fitbits works, but I think I've read it's possible to make an error where you're not subtracting calories you would have burned just ... living... from activity calories. Make sure that you're not overestimating those calorie burns. You can usually hunt around on the net for a typical range of burns to see how accurate they are. There's also a Fitbit users group on here that you can check with to see if you're doing things correctly.