What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and 5'10" and at my heaviest was 251. A few years ago I lost about 25 of that and was just hanging around that weight. My last straw was just that I was tired of feeling and looking frumpy. My daughter told me about this site and I joined and fell in looove with it <3 . I reached my goal of losing 30 in September and have maintained that, now I've decided to go for another 10. I hope to be there by the first day of summer.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Having to buy size 18W pants and when those becoming tight, I realized I would just keep getting bigger and bigger if I didn't do something fast and drastic--meaning stop eating huge quantities of food and begin moving.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    1) I got dumped, and my relationship of four years ended, and suddenly I wasn't so hungry anymore
    2) I got really sick, which was eventually pinpointed to a multitude of food intolerances
    3) I started eating Paleo.
    Best damn decision of my life.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hitting 310lbs - on two different scales. Nope!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    A few things stand out. Not fitting pants anymore, not really feeling comfortable sitting in a bath, but in the end it came down to work.
    At work they were restructuring and it was so itterly stressful for all of us. We all felt completely out of control of our lives, me included. However with the stress and how I felt about myself I was in no shape to go out and find another job, not a chance really.
    I knew that the only thing I could really change in the situation was me, so I decided that that was the way to go.
  • Ffe009
    Ffe009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I watched a couple episodes of Extreme Weight Loss. I figured since I don't have anything like that much weight to lose, I can certainly to get back to being the fit person that I used to be this year.

I have been very fit for nearly all my life. But during the last 5 years I have slowly become less active and have slowly put on some weight. Last month, I saw the highest number I've ever seen in my life on the scale. That and my unwanted belly fat were the last straw! I cannot afford to buy a new wardrobe for a bigger body.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I hate everything about myself, and this is the easiest thing to change.
  • skyyco
    skyyco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got down to 120 this last summer for my wedding and maintained it pretty well until this last month. In ONE MONTH I gained 9 pounds! 9 pounds!! ..I couldn't stay away from cookies. So, no more cookies for me!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I sing in a choir and we had a concert in January. I had my wife take some videos with my phone, and when I saw them I was aghast at how I looked the the love child of the Michelin Man and the Pillsbury dough boy. Enough is enough. Down 20 lbs since then and short term goal is 10 more by or next concert on 29May. Then, on my 60th birthday Oct 15, I would like to be down 60 lbs from the January embarrassment.
  • MissusSpags
    MissusSpags Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1. Pictures..any pictures. ('nuff said)
    2. Being friended on FBook by three people from high school, who didn't know me then, that wanted to ask me to join their weight loss sites/gimmicks. Clearly they just friended me to get another overweight sucker on board.
    3. Seeing myself in my wedding photos from last year and wanting to scream. There were a few pictures that made me happy but for the most part, I just remember worrying about whether my back fat was showing too much when I was walking around.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    One day I thought I was having a heart attack. Had all the classic symptoms. A trip to the ER and a night spent in the cardiac care unit told me that I didn't have an attack, and I needed to do something so I wouldn't have one. Not to mention when I see the pictures of me at family functions. The motivation finally happened.
  • OmegaRed84
    OmegaRed84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to tell myself that my reflection isn't as bad as I think. Maybe I'm having a moment where I'm imagining a funhouse mirror. But when I calculated my BMI today and saw that I am officially on the border of being considered overweight, I thought, "the numbers don't lie." I am only 30 and I am tipping the scale in the direction that could follow my family's history of heart failure, versus the side of my family that lives well into their 90s. I want those extra 60 years, and I want to make changes now before my uphill battle is too hard to climb.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    After my youngest daughter was born, I left my rather physically demanding job to become a stay at home mom. I realized how big I had gotten, feared gaining even more weight, and lost 30 lbs. However, after a while I lost my motivation and quickly gained it all back. Even though I realized I was eating like crap, I turned a blind eye and ignored the weight I was gaining back until the butt ripped in several different pairs of jeans. All the cute clothes I had were now too small, and the only pair of jeans I had left were from right after my daughter was born. And those were getting pretty tight too. I hated the way I looked, I hated myself for sabotaging all the progress I had made, and I had a huge breakdown. That was about three weeks ago. I've lost about 11 lbs so far, but just knowing I'm on the right track is giving me more confidence than I would have believed. 49 more to go!
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There were a few times when I thought that I had reached my last straw... Being out of breath when I'm walking up stairs...Or the fact that I couldn't look down and see my feet without leaning forward (and I'd like to point out that i have big feet lol)... Or the fact that my type two diabetes was out of control.. Injecting myself with insulin every meal is not the way that I want to live the rest of my life. I ended up having to have emergency surgery about this time last year, and ever since then, I've been in better control of my life. I am working towards 50 lbs as my first goal, and I am SO proud to say that I am OVER HALF WAY THERE!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Picture this:

Guatamala, the Tekal ruins. My family hired a personal guide when we got there so we wouldn't miss anything. I will never forget this as long as I live; through one of the trails in the jungle, he was just standing there. My grandparents, both in their 70's, were way ahead of him just hiking away. My cousin and myself, both in our late 20's, were way behind him struggling to keep up. I just remember him looking back and forth between the two sets of us and shaking his head.

THEN my 70-ish year old grandmother kicked my *kitten* up the stairs to the tallest ruin. (it poked out above the jungle canopy, so it was a looooong way up). I asked her why she was booking it up these stairs, and she told me there was a little old lady on the stairs as well. She refused to be beaten by a little old lady. The little old lady also kicked my *kitten*.

Got home from this vacation; headed to a friend's house. Dared her scale and saw 280lb staring back at me.

3 biggest kick-in-the-*kitten* I needed.
  • Got2beme7
    Got2beme7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mech9 wrote: »
    Reading everybody's stories has really touched me. Deciding to lose weight, get healthy, is such an intimate thing...

I don't know if anybody will read this... For me, losing weight was a very long time coming. I had made various attempts at it but I been strapped for money (couldn't afford food beyond $1/day), over-worked (2 jobs, plus being a caretaker for a bedridden relative), stressed trying to financially support myself and my ex on a shoestring, supporting my family (disabled mother, mentally ill brother), help my ex's family (financially irresponsible), save for a down payment on a house (my own family was going to be homeless soon), and a slew of other stresses along with health problems, depression, anxiety, PCOS, blood sugar issues, and it all came to a final mindbogglingly stressful head when my ex began cheating on me with a fit, attractive, young girl because he was no longer attracted to me.

It made me realize that no matter what I did for anybody else, nobody cared as much as I suffered. I had to do for me. So I did.

People are reading this....I did. And good for you!
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My final straw was when I was actually enrolled in the preoperative classes for a vertical sleeve, where they PERMANENTLY remove 3/4 of your stomach FOREVER. I was morbidly obese, but just at that line where if I lost too much I wouldn't really 'qualify' with my insurance. While working through the program, 4 months into a 6 month program, I knew that I had probably "lost too much weight". I couldn't bring myself to stuff my face to stay above the line of morbidly obese. I went to the 4th appointment & I was right, I had lost "too much". I sat down with the nutritionist and nurse practitioner who both separately told me that they thought I could do this without the surgery. One said "dear, you're no longer morbidly obese" and I cried tears of relief and joy!

I'm telling you, I got chills! I walked out of that office 10 feet taller and headed straight for the gym where I promptly started lifting weights. I was already doing moderate zumba classes. I now continue zumba, elliptical, and weight training. I'm down 3 pants sizes, 1 bra size, & 1 shirt size. I stay on here & log my foods, irregularly, but am making a renewed effort to keep logging. I'm staying in the classes for the accountability (3 more to go already paid for) & then I'll have to find another way to be held accountable.
  • Tudorsfan1509
    Tudorsfan1509 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    Not being able to fit into a rollercoaster seat at Busch Gardens :( ... in front of what felt like a 100 people staring at me...and in front of my husband. My heart was broken.

Same thing happened to me, same park! Just add the in laws. Sadly this wasn't rock bottom for me. :(
  • MrsMKB
    MrsMKB Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What was the final push you had to finally lose the weight? What was your motivation?

I was the maid of honour in my sisters and my best friends weddings. When the professional photos came out I didn't even want their husbands to see them. I was so embarrassed. That was exactly 3 months ago. With two young children running around I haven't gotten as far as Id like to in this time, but I'm down 20lbs so far, and I WILL be down another 30 in July! I am SOOO determined
  • zap5
    zap5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    da heartbr8ke
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!