Mother's Pouch

Options
Hey moms on MyFitnessPal,

I've been doing all kinds of an workouts. But I still don't really know whats the best to get rid of that baby pouch. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    #1 Lose the fat
    #2 Be patient. It takes time for skin to recover.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    #1 Lose the fat

QFT

There is a general opinion that strength training, compound movements specifically, can help tighten the extra skin more efficiently, but the fat still has to be lost by good old calorie deficit and time has to be given for the skin to heal up and adjust to a body's new size.

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 132 lbs. I still have a baby pooch, though I don't have a lot of fat altogether. Sometimes we just learn to live with a little extra. As you lose weight, it gets smaller and less noticeable. Just keep going. :) I live in hope that if I ever hit my goal of 125, it'll sort of disappear. But I'm not holding my breath.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am not a marsupial so I'm not sure I can give good advice on this.

I have had three kids though and while I acknowledge I will never have the stomach I had at 18 that doesn't mean I can't work as hard as I can to improve myself. Try reading this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I had my last baby at 40. I don't think that skin will ever tighten up, sadly. I was lucky with my first it snapped right back.

Is there ANY hope?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have learned to live with mine. I had 9+ lb babies later in life and the skin is all stretched out (stretchmarked). The fat is going away, but the skin just hangs lower and lower. *shrug* I'd rather have my babies than a perfect tummy any day. :)
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have been fighting with this too, after 3 c-sections, it's pretty terrible. I'm definitely focusing on fat loss first so I can see how "bad" it really is, however I don't really shame it so much anymore because my beautiful kids that were all born right under the 10 pound mark, are all very healthy and smart and I am proud to say I am the one that baked them in this pouch lol!
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    #1 Lose the fat

Yes. And learn to accept thatyou did something awesome... You grew a human. It changes you. I've had 3 kids. I will never look like I didn't. That's more than ok. That's wonderful! Some things tighten back up with time, strength training, cardiovascular and a good healthy diet... but some things maybe don't.
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had my last baby at 40. I don't think that skin will ever tighten up, sadly. I was lucky with my first it snapped right back.

Is there ANY hope?

My best friend has been using wraps and I was shocked to see they were tightening up her skin. Theyre just so expensive. But idk if you would try something like that.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have been getting more results by doing core body workouts. I used to always do cardio but my body wasn't looking tight. Now I do squats with barbell, kettle bell swings, plank holds, captains chair, other lifting. Try some strength training and go heavy. Your body will get nice and tight.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Agreed ...maintain a cal deficit and lifting helps tighten things up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Is there ANY hope?

My best friend has been using wraps and I was shocked to see they were tightening up her skin. Theyre just so expensive. But idk if you would try something like that.

Always with the quick fixes...

Those wraps get rid of water weight, they are temporary, expensive, and part of a multi level marketing scheme destined to get people to either keep buying, or better yet, start selling.

Follow the other good advice listed here, be realistic with your expectations, and stop looking for quick fixes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    #1 Lose the fat

#3 lift progressively heavy stuff and put it down again

That's what worked for me...52lbs loss at 47 after 2 sections and at least 15 years as an overeating couch potato, I'm delighted with the results ..and kind of addicted to making continual minor improvements
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Is there ANY hope?

I have faith in you that one day you're going to post something scientifically sound

I can wait :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    1. Fork putdowns
    2. Table pushaways
    3. Lift heavy

Repeat.
  • Erin_Graves
    Erin_Graves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If it is a noticeable pooch (not just loose skin) it could be diastasis recti (http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html). I had it for a year after my second baby, there are exercises you can do to bring your abs back together (surgery is needed in rare cases) and then you can build your core strength up. Normal ab and core exercises make it worse, so it's worth checking it out.
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Is there ANY hope?

Always with the quick fixes...

Those wraps get rid of water weight, they are temporary, expensive, and part of a multi level marketing scheme destined to get people to either keep buying, or better yet, start selling.

Follow the other good advice listed here, be realistic with your expectations, and stop looking for quick fixes.

No one said I was looking for a quick fix. Especially not in wraps. If I wanted to do wraps, I would do them. I was stating that I've seen someone else make progress with them.