Do you get enough sleep?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Nope, but I do get to take a nap most days which helps.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sleep about 6 hours a night during the week, no naps. I very seldom take more than 2 minutes to fall asleep when my head hits the pillow. According to the Fitbit, very little restlessness during the night.
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been sleeping around 9 hours a night lately.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Im so jealous of all of u! You guys get some great sleep!
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I wish! My 5 year old keeps me up late, my 3 month old wakes me up and stays up for about 3 hours and my 1 1/2 year old wakes me up early. I get about 3-6 hours a night.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Im so jealous of all of u! You guys get some great sleep!

I know right!!

mxmakm wrote: »
    I wish! My 5 year old keeps me up late, my 3 month old wakes me up and stays up for about 3 hours and my 1 1/2 year old wakes me up early. I get about 3-6 hours a night.

Man that sounds stressful. I'm lucky my 2 slept through from 8 weeks old. I didn't give them much of a choice in the matter though. .

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I function best on about 9 hours, but I will admit that I often get more than 12 hours. If I have no plans for the day and no one wakes me up, I have been known to sleep for up to 20 hours straight. I can sleep any time, any place. I'm always up for a nap, and have no problems falling asleep. I never have trouble with not getting enough sleep. I think my problem, if anything, is sleeping too much. I've been like this my entire life. :*
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I neve get enough sleep during the week due to my crazy work schedule and commute. I function best on 8 or 9 hours (weekends) but get about 5-6 on week days
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I am finding that since eating better and exercising more, I'm sleeping better!
    I rarely wake up during the night anymore and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. I get about 8ish hours
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I function best on about 9 hours, but I will admit that I often get more than 12 hours. If I have no plans for the day and no one wakes me up, I have been known to sleep for up to 20 hours straight. I can sleep any time, any place. I'm always up for a nap, and have no problems falling asleep. I never have trouble with not getting enough sleep. I think my problem, if anything, is sleeping too much. I've been like this my entire life. :*

I used to be like that not too long ago. Averaged 10-12 hours a night. Aaahhhh the memories :bigsmile:
    I don't know what the F happened to change it!!???

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lack of sleep usually has a big impact on fat loss. Why? Because sleeping and rest is when we use 100% fat for energy. Also HGH, a hormone responsible for fat regulation in the body, production is disrupted, it interferes with the efficiency of the fat burning process.

Hmmm...Maybe that explains why I've never had a weight problem. I've always just slept it off! ;)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I used to think I could get by on about 6 hours sleep on weeknights; however, after a while I realised it was not usual to be an insane grump from Wednesday onwards only to emerge a peaceful, good tempered, kind human being after a 12 hour sleep Friday night. I need about 8-9 hours to be at my best really. I find I sleep better if I have been physically active during the day, and if I turn off my phone and computer an hour before I want to go to bed.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    My days off and the days I work day shifts, I typically get enough sleep, 7-8. But the nights I work graveyard shifts I'm lucky to get 6, especially the days my kids are home from school.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I first started to do research on fat loss I kept coming across information about sleep and all of the benefits on the body like its role on hormones like HGH, ghrelin, leptin and cortisol etc., tissue repair among others.

Then I started making changes by putting myself first and getting to bed earlier.

It took some time, but I adapted. After getting good sleep consistently I first noticed I became more alert and focused overall and I no longer had that mid-afternoon work day slump.

This setup me up for better progress during my workouts and making better food choices (I used to be a mindless eating night-time snacker).

Now I'm that annoying morning person that jumps out of bed early without an alarm clock everyday to workout even without coffee (I don't drink it) or food and feel great for the rest of the day.

Sleep is very important. Not just quantity, but the quality.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I average about 6 to 7 hours a night with an occasional 12 hour sleep thrown in...that's every few months usually.

I know since ramping up my exercise, my quality of sleep is much, much, much better. MUCH better. I rarely wake up during the night now, and, usually only do if I drank some water or tea close to bedtime...used to I would stay awake for hours if something got me up, but now I'm right back to sleep.
  • Cynnamon
    Cynnamon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Major insomnia here, tried everything... Any thoughts??
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    I only get enough sleep maybe once a week on a weekend.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    Cynnamon wrote: »

I can't drink coffee or caffeinated tea after about 4 pm.

When I exercise quite close to bed time, I tend to sleep better. I know there are some who can't do this, but the exercise tires me out and when I finish, I relax.

In the evenings, about an hour before bed, I turn out most of the lights in the place, turn the TV down or off, sometimes I'll turn on relaxing music and read.

And then there's valerian. You can find it in the vitamin section of your local chemist. I talked to the pharmacist about it. I didn't want a sleeping pill, I just wanted something to help relax me, and keep me asleep. My problem was that I'd fall asleep all right, but then about 2 hours later I'd wake up and be wide awake. She suggested I try valerian, and it has seemed to help.

I've heard good things about melatonin too, but have never used it.

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. But I have four children that are seven and under. I'm lucky if I get to sleep two hours without interruption.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Cynnamon wrote: »

I can't drink coffee or caffeinated tea after about 4 pm.

When I exercise quite close to bed time, I tend to sleep better. I know there are some who can't do this, but the exercise tires me out and when I finish, I relax.

In the evenings, about an hour before bed, I turn out most of the lights in the place, turn the TV down or off, sometimes I'll turn on relaxing music and read.

And then there's valerian. You can find it in the vitamin section of your local chemist. I talked to the pharmacist about it. I didn't want a sleeping pill, I just wanted something to help relax me, and keep me asleep. My problem was that I'd fall asleep all right, but then about 2 hours later I'd wake up and be wide awake. She suggested I try valerian, and it has seemed to help.

I've heard good things about melatonin too, but have never used it.

If you want to keep things natural, you should look into lavender. I've got a few insomniac's in my life (my mother especially) and they've all found relative success with it. My mom uses the essential oils and dabs a bit on either temple, my friend uses a linen spray with it before bed, and another friend of mine drinks lavender tea. It's only a mild sleep aid, but very therapeutic.