Cold cuts that are not highly processed

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Great, another thread derail.

Who cares why the OP wants to do what they want to do? There are zero negative outcomes if OP goes down that path, so how about we just help 'em out by answering the actual question...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You know that sodium nitrite in meats prevents botulism and without it your slices of meat would be gray and nasty looking when you bought them at the store. Most of the meats that say “natural” or “organic" use celery juice concentrate and while it's natural it still contains a lot of nitrates.

Applegate Farms does seem to have the lowest nitrate meats. Aside from that you'll need to cook and slice your own turkey/chicken/ham to get it totally free of nitrates.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a Costco rotisserie chicken for plain value. Sammiches, tacos, soup and stock from the same 5$ bird.
  • mariel918
    mariel918 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Boars Head All Natural products - http://boarshead.com/products/all-natural

Boars head in my opinion is the best deli meat . On the priced side but the quality and taste makes it worth it !

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Great, another thread derail.

Who cares why the OP wants to do what they want to do? There are zero negative outcomes if OP goes down that path, so how about we just help 'em out by answering the actual question...

^^Agree,,
    Columbus Salame Company - Italian Dry Salami - Reduced Sodium
    Applegate Farms is worth a look also

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I eats turkey wraps from the sodexo cafeteria where I work or a local deli. I don't know what brand of meat they are using and I feel confident that what I don't know won't hurt me. So I'm good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I either roast or slow cook chicken or turkey parts and use that for lunches. Sometimes other meats too, but those both are easy. I got a bunch of turkey parts from a farm I get meat from so tried the slow cooking thing and was delighted to realize it makes for delicious and tender turkey, even from the breast, but also from the legs and wings.

(Since I'm not that into sandwiches I pack it in tupperware with veggies and sometimes rice or potatoes/sweet potatoes/root veg or the like, but it would work great for sandwiches if that's your thing.)
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! So much good advice
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Maple Leaf Natural Selections, available here in Canada. I get the roast chicken and turkey.

This for me as well! We have a local meat shop that sells it very cheaply as it's usually only 7-10 days until is best before date but we only buy 1-week's worth at a time. We don't eat it every day, but maybe 2-3 times a week.