People who weigh food, how frequently do you use yours during the day?

Options

Replies

• emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use it every day like 4 or 5 times a day. I got mine for Christmas over a year ago and changed the battery once . I have this one:

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Food-Scale.jpg
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    valente347 wrote: »
    I use my scale all the time and weigh everything I eat for the most part. I also bake a lot (bread, cakes, cookies, other sweets), and nearly exclusively measure ingredients by weight. I don't go through batteries that quickly, though. I use this scale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw this one, and saw that you can buy an adapter for it... but it looks SO BULKY.

It is ugly, but it's an incredibly useful tool in my kitchen. It is very precise (I have two 20g lab weights that I've used to check it's calibration), easy to clean, light-weight, and has a high weight capacity (which is useful because I cure and smoke a lot of big cuts of meat). It is also fast and easy to read with quite a few nice features for bakers.

Unless there are stores in Canada selling it locally, it's not going to be an option for me because it will en dup being SUPER $$$. I wish I lived in the states just for this lol.

As a fellow Canadian, I hear you. I have a cheapo Starfrit scale from Canadian Tire (uses a CR-something battery), and I recently changed the battery after about 6-9 months of periodic use (I’m not really sure), but that was with its original crappy battery. I’ve been using it lots more lately, though. I think it helps to remember to shut it off after each use, as its auto-shut-off is pretty slow. A battery is about $8 at CT, and I’m okay with buying 1-2 a year. It might be worth buying them in bulk at Costco? I don’t think it’s worth the cost of a more expensive scale, unless you want the extra features.

My point is, it really shouldn’t die quite within 1 month of purchase. And keep in mind that CT has a 1 year exchange warranty - technically, you could use that…
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I weigh all my food so at least 4-5 times per day. If I'm baking it'll be more. So far I've had the scale since Christmas and haven't had to replace batteries or the scale. It's a brand called 1scale, but I'm not sure where Mr. Acrylics bought it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've changed the batteries in my scale even once, and I weigh everything except water. I even started weighing my milk.

I'd say I weigh and tare at least 10 times a day.

Me too. I have had my scale for several years and to my knowledge only changed the batteries once...maybe 2x. Of course there have been a couple years that it only collected dust. But I have used it faithfully multiple times a day since Jan.

I also used it to weigh packages for stuff I was selling on eBay a few years ago. That could possibly be the reason I purchased it...lol

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I use it every day like 4 or 5 times a day. I got mine for Christmas over a year ago and changed the battery once . I have this one:

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Food-Scale.jpg

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS? It shows nutritional values?!!!???#$#??

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use mine multiple times a day (often multiple times per meal, as when cooking breakfast and dinner I chop and weigh, chop and weigh, etc.) and am still using the scale I bought for about $20 a year ago.

I don't think I've changed the batteries yet, but I may have once.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just wondering if maybe my frequency of use is what has caused all of my scales to die within ~1 month of purchase. I'll use my scale multiple times per day (probably on average between 5-10x a day, but could be upward of 20x a day if I'm making more elaborate food and having to weigh at multiple stages, or if I get interrupted or if it just times out after a few minutes). One scale uses AAAs, another uses a lithium cell, the other uses a uh... 3V CR battery or something? Salter, Starfrit, and Taylor brands, respectively.

So at this point I'm just getting super annoyed that they keep dying. ALSO whenever I'll buy one, the first use will display a battery life icon and it's ALWAYS only half full from the get-go.

Am I just weighing food too frequently? Do I keep buying crappy brands? Does Canada get all the reject scales?

ETA I'll usually eat 4-5x a day but I will sometimes just grab little things throughout the day, or re-weigh apple cores/peels, and the scales do shut off half the time while I"m in the middle of weighing food for a meal, so those are some of the other reasons I'll sometimes weigh 10+ times a day.

I weigh EVERYTHING. I use the scale multiple times a day, for every meal and every snack, for both my husband and myself. My scale is from Lakeland (UK store, I believe), and it hasn't died on me--Neither did the cheap scale I used previously, which I bought from e-max (I just forgot it in another country while being on vacation. It's alive and well, and my sister is happily taking advantage of it). This one uses AAA batteries, and that one used a lithium cell battery. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Editing to add: I bought the one I have now in August of last year, and I've changed the batteries once since then, about two months ago. It uses two AAA batteries. I DON'T recommend the idiotic thing, though, because it doesn't weigh anything lighter than 20 grams. Because it's an idiot. And it was extremely expensive, too. ($80 USD)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I use mine between 5-10x a day. I have to change the CR battery every month, pretty much. It's an Ozeri and I love it. I just wish it didn't run through so many batteries (it actually uses two at a time). On the other hand, two dollars a month isn't crazy expensive, just annoying.

Only 2 bucks? It's like 6 bucks to buy a 3-pack of those... and I seem to have to replace the batteries every ~3 weeks once the batteries die the first time!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those that uses the 3v battery that costs almost as much as the scale itself and it burned through one of those batteries every few weeks. I threw it out and got this one, which has worked well for me and has been on the same batteries since October. (Plus rechargeable AA and AAA batteries are now as cheap as disposables.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRFB2YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I use my scale all the time and weigh everything I eat for the most part. I also bake a lot (bread, cakes, cookies, other sweets), and nearly exclusively measure ingredients by weight. I don't go through batteries that quickly, though. I use this scale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw this one, and saw that you can buy an adapter for it... but it looks SO BULKY.

It is ugly, but it's an incredibly useful tool in my kitchen. It is very precise (I have two 20g lab weights that I've used to check it's calibration), easy to clean, light-weight, and has a high weight capacity (which is useful because I cure and smoke a lot of big cuts of meat). It is also fast and easy to read with quite a few nice features for bakers.

Unless there are stores in Canada selling it locally, it's not going to be an option for me because it will en dup being SUPER $$$. I wish I lived in the states just for this lol.

As a fellow Canadian, I hear you. I have a cheapo Starfrit scale from Canadian Tire (uses a CR-something battery), and I recently changed the battery after about 6-9 months of periodic use (I’m not really sure), but that was with its original crappy battery. I’ve been using it lots more lately, though. I think it helps to remember to shut it off after each use, as its auto-shut-off is pretty slow. A battery is about $8 at CT, and I’m okay with buying 1-2 a year. It might be worth buying them in bulk at Costco? I don’t think it’s worth the cost of a more expensive scale, unless you want the extra features.

My point is, it really shouldn’t die quite within 1 month of purchase. And keep in mind that CT has a 1 year exchange warranty - technically, you could use that…

I don't have my receipt for that anymore... you think they'd still let me bring it in? I bought that one like... RIGHT in May or June 2014.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've never counted how often I use it, but I go through batteries FAST, so I think I use it a lot. Haven't killed the scale yet.

Considering I have a reputation for killing small appliances, that's saying something. I have an Oxo.

Pull-out display? I'm looking at the 11lb one. How often would you say you replace the batteries? If it's like.. monthly, then I'll just buy some rechargeable batteries and use my Salter one, but if it lasts longer I'd totally consider buying it!

Also what brand does everyone else use if you're using it often and the battery lasts a long time?

Yeah, the pull out display one. I really like that feature a lot. It's about once a month for the batteries. Triple A's.

• emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS? It shows nutritional values?!!!???#$#??

Yep its pretty accurate but you have to add like a food code to get the nutritional value from this guide it came with. I honestly dont even bother because im lazy and it seems like too much work. I measure my food and then log on here.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My main scale is a Starfrit from Canadian Tire. I've changed the 9 volt battery once after 2.5 years of use and I really didn't need to (it was just slow warming up). I use that scale 15 times a day average. I also have a purse-size Taylor scale from Walmart that I take when I go out to eat and I've yet to replace the battery after 2 years.

I find that items that use AA or AAA and watch-type batteries are faster using them.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I bought one of those that uses the 3v battery that costs almost as much as the scale itself and it burned through one of those batteries every few weeks. I threw it out and got this one, which has worked well for me and has been on the same batteries since October. (Plus rechargeable AA and AAA batteries are now as cheap as disposables.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRFB2YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah two of mine are on lithium so... I just emailed Taylor to see if I can send mine in to the manufacturer for a refund even though I no longer have my receipt (bought it at Target which no longer exists in Canadaland........ woo). Fingers crossed. And maybe Canadian Tire WILL let me exchange my crappy Starfrit for something else!

But like WHERE in the hell are rechargeables? I can never find them :/
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale anywhere from 3-30 times daily. I've had it since June 2014, and I haven't changed the batteries once. Which reminds me---I ought to find out what kind of batteries, as I'm sure they'll poop out today, as I brought it up, LOL. I think I made sure to get the kind that takes AA batteries (cheaper, and I buy rechargeables).
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

I don't have my receipt for that anymore... you think they'd still let me bring it in? I bought that one like... RIGHT in May or June 2014.

They’re usually good sports about this sort of thing, so I’d at least try for sure! I’ve had luck in the past when I didn’t keep my receipt.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I've never counted how often I use it, but I go through batteries FAST, so I think I use it a lot. Haven't killed the scale yet.

Considering I have a reputation for killing small appliances, that's saying something. I have an Oxo.

Pull-out display? I'm looking at the 11lb one. How often would you say you replace the batteries? If it's like.. monthly, then I'll just buy some rechargeable batteries and use my Salter one, but if it lasts longer I'd totally consider buying it!

Also what brand does everyone else use if you're using it often and the battery lasts a long time?

Yeah, the pull out display one. I really like that feature a lot. It's about once a month for the batteries. Triple A's.

hot damn, how are other people getting by on like, once a year replacements? Do we just keep buying the crappy scales?
  • ana3067
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My main scale is a Starfrit from Canadian Tire. I've changed the 9 volt battery once after 2.5 years of use and I really didn't need to (it was just slow warming up). I use that scale 15 times a day average. I also have a purse-size Taylor scale from Walmart that I take when I go out to eat and I've yet to replace the battery after 2 years.

I find that items that use AA or AAA and watch-type batteries are faster using them.

Like they die faster? BTW the Starfrit at CT now uses little 3V lithium cell batteries, not the 9-volt battery. The website has reviews for both and all the positives seem to be for the old battery!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I use the Ozeri that's the top seller on US Amazon. I've had it since Christmas and I'm not sure how many times a day you mean (I eat or cook 3-5 times), but I'm that crazy person weighing the onions and lettuce so I push the tare button a lot.
  • ana3067
    Options

They’re usually good sports about this sort of thing, so I’d at least try for sure! I’ve had luck in the past when I didn’t keep my receipt.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. checking out the website to see if any other scales are there with different batteries