36 pound loss- why am I so down?

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
I began at 245. I'm now 209.. I've never weighed this little in my adult life. I should be proud, right? I feel down. I feel like damn, I lost all this weight and I still look pretty darn fat. I guess I thought 36 pounds would make a hugely notable difference. I mean, its better than remaining at 245. I don't know, maybe in another 20 pounds I'll feel better.

This kind if thing happen to anyone else? 36 is a lot, right?

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    you are just about half way to your goal :) Hang in there. You don't see the differences in you but they are there? do some pics like before and after or some measurements. 36 pounds is awesome! buck up kiddo!
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    36 *is* a lot and you should be proud. You are looking great, keep it up!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way sometimes. I've lost 32 lbs, but every so often, I start berating myself for getting so high to begin with and feel overwhelmed about how much further I have to go. When those feelings come on, I usually try to distract myself with something. A nap or a good cry usually helps me. Something to release the stress.

You should be proud. But I understand those feelings of "it's still not good enough."
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I felt the same way when I felt like there was no difference after losing 40lbs. You might not see it, because we are our own harshest critics, but I am sure others have noticed. Look at some old pics it really helps and the best thing I can tell you is don't put so much stock in the number on the scale. If your clothes are fitting better and you feel better then you are on the right track. :)
  • mrchantele123
    Options
    You don't feel different but I bet you look different. I feel exactly the same as I did before; hating my body and wanting to feel thinner. But people are constantly telling me I've lost weight and my clothes are hanging off me, it's just because you're so used to yourself.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get the tape measure out. Tracking inches as well as pounds is confirms just how FANTASTIC you are doing. We tend to see ourselves in a very harsh light.

Keep up the great work!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think no matter how much we will weigh, we will still look fat. We're so used to seeing it. There are times when I have to step back and see my progress pictures to really see the difference.

You've come a long way and you're doing wonderful!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Wow, 36 is really great!!! It may feel like you aren't losing it fast enough, or that you have a long way to go. I feel that way sometimes too. Sometimes I think, "If I could just lose 10 more than I would be happier" - but really that is not where my happiness should come from. We need to celebrate the victories we are having and have them motivate us to keep going. We can do this, it just takes time!!
  • EricaSno28
    EricaSno28 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have lost 43 so far ... && is really feeling down today. I know that I've come a long way becasue I am able to work out like I never did before .... but for some reason i feel really bummed that i have JUST as long to get to my goal....
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. It depends on what I have on as to how sexy I feel a lot of the time. But my Hubby took a picture of me the other day and I hated it...I was kinda fussing cause I thought to myself Geezz, you could have tried to catch me at a better angle or something...I hate pictures cause that is Definitely not what I see in the mirror....and it made me feel like Gosh, i've come a long way and thought I shouldn't still feel like I look like a bag of potatoes....so I go put on something sexy and look in the mirror again for a few mins. put on some heels that makes all the difference in the world! Just try your best to think this is about being healthy and your body will catch up!
  • tammeygail
    tammeygail Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Think of 36 lbs as 36 lbs of butter that you were carrying around. Thats alot and you are doing an awesome job if anything you should be so proud of your self, cus your a great inspiration to me who has only been on this site a week or so. Thanks and keep up the great work............
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know, I've lost 19 & nobody noticed ! That's ok, I'm NOT quitting ! I'm doing this for me. Nobody else. You hang in there.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in about the same weight loss range as you, and I wonder too if what I've lost is something to get excited about. Has anyone you haven't seen for a while noticed the loss? I don't see it in myself much, but others have commented on how much smaller I am, and that boosts my confidence. You are doing fantastic and even if you don't see it now, you will! Keep up the good work!
  • blueillusion3
    blueillusion3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    you are doing great! i've only lost 19 lbs but i feel the same way. just stick to it and soon enough you will see the difference you are waiting for. try to pay attention to some of the NSV and/or how you are being much more conscious of your eating & exercise habits. but so far so good! you're already 36 lbs down!

i also read somewhere that when people start losing weight there is a lot of emotional baggage that goes with it, and so maybe it's just yourself fighting the weight loss, you are slowly getting out of your comfort zone. but keep posting on here and stay motivated, you're doing an awesome job! you'll reach your goal soon enough!
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    36 lbs is awesome. I bet if you looked at some before and afters you'd be very pleased.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Okay....it's time to put up some pics...before and after! The ones you have posted are hard to see and turned sideways...so go and find a good photo that captures you before and one of now and let us be the judge!!

I'm down 31 now and when I recently posted pics, I was amazed at the difference!

What an amazing thing to accomplish!!! Celebrate!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 36 pounds, I assure you people can see it! 36 pounds is a LOT!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way about my 21 lbs. Then after seeing a post on here I was carrying around my 23 lb 20 month old little boy and realized that I had almost lost as much weight as I was carrying around. Then I started thinking about how tired I get carrying him around and how much better I feel not lugging that much fat around on me all the time. So that helped snap me out of it!
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You are getting it done and have made HUGE progress! I know what you mean though... Sometimes I look in the mirror and say to myself "Really? You still look like a cow to me!" Then I see old pics or someone that I haven't seen in awhile and realize how far I've come and it feels great. Best of luck to you and your continued success.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You have done great, I hope you pick up your spirit because it's an amazing loss.

I am and have been between 214-207 for a while and can't seem to lose much.

So pick yourself up that your accomplishment is awesome.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!