Diet soda?

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Personally I consider zero calorie drinks a waste. I would rather have a good 240 cal soda now and then than fill up on something that seems to have no value what so ever. Just an opinion though.

This makes no sense to me. it's not like people are claiming that diet soda is a nutritional powerhouse. It's just something with low/no calories that people like to drink. What "value" does regular soda have?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Going by all the "I'm addicted to soda" OR "I drink 10 cans a day" threads. I have to ask myself what the hell are manufactures adding to these drinks???
    Cocaine, some under the table addictive drug??? Lol

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll go through 10 drinks a day easy (this is why it's good I mostly drink water), just because I like to be drinking something, so I don't think it has to be anything but good tasting to the person.

I could easily go through 10 or more cups of coffee or tea, even decaf, if I didn't make myself switch to water simply because drinking that much coffee is insane and would mess me up.

(While I don't think the impetus is the caffeine, once you drink lots of something caffeinated it's tough to stop it easily, because you feel tired.)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Going by all the "I'm addicted to soda" OR "I drink 10 cans a day" threads. I have to ask myself what the hell are manufactures adding to these drinks???

What I've noticed is that sodas with high fructose corn syrup for sweeteners are the ones I can drink several of in a row. Diet soda or sodas sweetened with cane sugar, I'm less likely to drink more than one in a day. The corn syrup ones I have to choose to only drink one because I'll find myself craving a second or third.

Whether that's all in my own head or there's something real to it, I honestly don't know.

Here in the US, a good portion of the sodas are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. "Real" sugar is more common in other countries (and I find it tastes better, too).

~Lyssa
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Have you guys got "coke life"?
    They just started advertising it here. Apparently it's sweetened with stevia
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Not that I've seen, but I'm in the Midwest of the US and new stuff usually hits cities on the east or west coast first :unamused:

~Lyssa
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I tried it and thought it was nasty.

I love diet coke over coke zero. But I will always choose coke zero. I did research and found the sweetner is diet coke to be linked to sulfa drugs and I am allergic. I stopped drinking it and I felt so much better. Breathing was a lot easier without it. I started drinking it again and I am back to feeling the same way. Which is crap. But that is just myself. My opinion only natters to me. Do what you want.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Yes actually, caffeine.

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Is water purer? Sure. Is diet soda damn tasty and a bit filling? Hell yes. My doctor thumbs-ups my exams. I figure if drinking diet soda keeps you happy and you're eating healthfully, then screw all the folk saying every can of Coke Zero is a chemical cesspit. People also caterwaul about vaccinations being bad. Consistent weight goals + easy dietary compliance + feeling good + unconcerned doc = if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    beets4us wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the calories or the "chemicals". My problem is that the sweetener primes me to crave sweet things.

I know that lots of people love diet soda. However, I don't have it because I can't control my need for sweets once I've had it. I know it seems strange, but lots of people find that they are more likely to cheat on their diet after consuming diet foods.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I drink it only with my lunch meal. Just one cup a day is not going to kill you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options

It's just come to Australia too. My understanding is that it has less calories than regular coke, 35% less if I remember advert correctly, but still has calories unlike coke zero or diet coke which have next to none.

I guess it is a good compromise for people who want to cut calories or reduce sugar but don't like aspartame flavour or get headaches etc from it.

I personally quite like coke zero and Pepsi max so will stick to the (almost) no calorie version rather than coke lite.

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Who cares what people drink?
    Not everyone has same taste buds.
    Diet or not, I like both.
    I prefer neither though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Who cares what people drink?
    Not everyone has same taste buds.
    Diet or not, I like both.
    I prefer neither though.

I don't suppose anybody really cares what others drink, or what they eat - but this is a forum about weight control and nutrition so people are going to discuss foods and drinks.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How badly does diet soda's affect ones weight while dieting? I usually drink sprite zero or cherry coke zero.

Regular soda doesn't even taste right any more. Should i quit drinking diet soda's all together? What have you done?

It only affects your weight if you are going to have more calories due to it (i.e. causes issues with adherence to you calorie goal).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It could lead to weight gain, not weight loss
    Diet soda is calorie-free, but it won't necessarily help you lose weight. Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza.

I was a big Diet Coke drinker for years, a couple 2 or 3 a day. When I stopped drinking it the changes AFTER the headaches went away, were impressive. I lost a few pounds and felt so much better. This is just my oppinion and personal experience and everyoens different but Diet sodas with Chemical sweetners are not good for any of us.

Becca

1st Bolded: Not relevant when calorie counting.

2nd bolded: ignoring the fact that any sweetener (and any food for that matter) is a chemical compound, they are not necessarily bad either - and actually can be considered good if they allow people to better adhere to their diet.
  • Christine_72
    Options

It's just come to Australia too. My understanding is that it has less calories than regular coke, 35% less if I remember advert correctly, but still has calories unlike coke zero or diet coke which have next to none.

I guess it is a good compromise for people who want to cut calories or reduce sugar but don't like aspartame flavour or get headaches etc from it.

I personally quite like coke zero and Pepsi max so will stick to the (almost) no calorie version rather than coke lite.

@paperpudding I'm in South Aus :smiley:

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    It is difficult to base any opinion on the little snippet in the paper.
    here is the full study:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/full
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    Correlation is not causation!

God. Thank you. :smirk: I was just scrolling to say that.

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    It is difficult to base any opinion on the little snippet in the paper.
    here is the full study:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/full

Thanks. So, to get this straight, the data relies on self reporting, and there appears to be no attempt to remove any confounding variables such as what else they were eating.

Let me suggest a counter hypothesis: Fat people drink diet soda more than regular soda.

Yes, definitely, but what is strange is that their weight/waist circumference increased while drinking diet soda. So they kept gaining weight despite drinking DS. This is someway counterintuitive. So maybe, as someone already suggested in this thread, people who drink DS and don't count calories think they are allowed to eat more and/or maybe there is some metabolic effect (increased hunger?).