Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Cynnamon wrote: »
    Major insomnia here, tried everything... Any thoughts??

I can't drink coffee or caffeinated tea after about 4 pm.

When I exercise quite close to bed time, I tend to sleep better. I know there are some who can't do this, but the exercise tires me out and when I finish, I relax.

In the evenings, about an hour before bed, I turn out most of the lights in the place, turn the TV down or off, sometimes I'll turn on relaxing music and read.

And then there's valerian. You can find it in the vitamin section of your local chemist. I talked to the pharmacist about it. I didn't want a sleeping pill, I just wanted something to help relax me, and keep me asleep. My problem was that I'd fall asleep all right, but then about 2 hours later I'd wake up and be wide awake. She suggested I try valerian, and it has seemed to help.

I've heard good things about melatonin too, but have never used it.

If you want to keep things natural, you should look into lavender. I've got a few insomniac's in my life (my mother especially) and they've all found relative success with it. My mom uses the essential oils and dabs a bit on either temple, my friend uses a linen spray with it before bed, and another friend of mine drinks lavender tea. It's only a mild sleep aid, but very therapeutic.

Funny, I was just looking at lavender the other day. :) I might try it.

Here in Tasmania, lavender is all the thing. You can get it everywhere in all sorts of configurations.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For me, the answer is no. I usually get about 7 hours, but I think I need 8-9 to be 100% well rested. It's not so much that my lifestyle doesn't allow it, but I struggle with being able to relax/de-stress myself enough to sleep very deeply. So whether I go to bed at 11PM or 1AM, my sleep is almost never deep enough to keep me going past 8 hours.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My sleep is awful, worknights I get 5 hours but on days off I had 9 this week, I'm up at 5am and I'm really trying to get to bed earlier I just find it so hard, being a bit of a nightowl, I'm slowly getting better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends...I have a 5 y.o. and an almost 3 y.o. so sleep is often interrupted sometimes 2-3 times per night with nightmares, someone isn't feeling good, etc. I also have sleep issues when things get crazy at work and I can't shut my brain down...that's usually when I reach for my melatonin pills which actually work pretty well, but sometimes a little too well as I often have difficulty waking in the morning when I take them.
  • ljohnson216
    ljohnson216 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am right there with the other insomniacs and people who struggle to sleep. I tend to average 5 hours a night but 3-4 is not unusual for me. It definitely effects my weight loss and too often I feel the need for extra fuel to get through a day.
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's a problem. 6 and half hours. I was getting more, even though I keep late hours, but there was illness in the family and my sleep rhythm is completely off. That's not enough for me. Tired a lot. And that effects quality of exercise, of course. Doing okay, considering, I guess. But far from optimal.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was a night shift worker for 27 years, and couldn't get my sleep during the day times becasue of my two children ( I couldn't afford day care). That was 15 years ago! I work days now but still I can only sleep for 5-6 but its very broken. I sleep better on a Friday night 8 hours -no stress of work. Perhaps when I retire it will get better?