What can you eat on a diet?

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am a little shocked as to the response the OP got here. And I've been on the forums for a while, lol. I can't see the trolling, not quite. What she says is reasonable, isn't it? Many of us have figured out how to decode advertising through the years, but new dieters often struggle. Nobody would guess she's maybe not American? The profile says 1,226 pounds to go - nobody would guess that may be a glitch due to not being used to the Imperial system? Where I live, Friday is a big pig-out day. And Fridays isn't just a day of the week: http://fridays.no/ Thanks for scaring off an 18 year old :s
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    1. This thread has made me really hungry!
    2. I think the OP is chatting about the marketing of "diet" and "healthy" foods. I'm in the UK and know that while "low fat" foods might sound a better idea, they can have higher sugar content and just not taste as nice!
    3. In answer to the initial "What can you eat on a diet?" Question I'd say "anything". Probably best to stick to edible real food (by "real" I mean don't eat playdough, dog hair, crayons etc) and legal stuff (I.e. Don't be a cannibal).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things I ate before for the most part, just less. I still eat fast food and pizza once a week, but I make different choices. And I have a dessert every night that is properly portioned out. Still lost 60 pounds.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I am a little shocked as to the response the OP got here. And I've been on the forums for a while, lol. I can't see the trolling, not quite. What she says is reasonable, isn't it? Many of us have figured out how to decode advertising through the years, but new dieters often struggle. Nobody would guess she's maybe not American? The profile says 1,226 pounds to go - nobody would guess that may be a glitch due to not being used to the Imperial system? Where I live, Friday is a big pig-out day. And Fridays isn't just a day of the week: http://fridays.no/ Thanks for scaring off an 18 year old :s

Really?

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anything I want, the question is not What can you eat on a diet (I hate this word) but, How much can you eat if your are trying to loose fat. The answer would be less than what your calorie burn is throughout the day.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Whatever cranks your tractor OP...
    I eat all the foods in moderation and I also realize the number of calories a food has doesn't determine how healthy that food is. I look at my overall diet, not each food individually. I think I will keep maintaing my weight loss the way I have been.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Seriously?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Really?

also imperial system isn't the only unit allowed on the website/app.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    One of my pet peeves around here is when people say so flippantly, "Oh, you/I can eat anything you/I want!"

No, you can't.

To most people, when you say, "You can eat anything you want", that includes quantity. And if you are trying to lose or maintain weight, you don't get that luxury. You don't get to eat anything you want.

You can eat any item you want, but you can only eat it in quantities that won't blow your calorie limit for the day.

If you get 1600 calories for the day and you would like to blow that on a single portion of prime rib and some dinner rolls, you can do that. And then be hungry the rest of the day when you can't eat anything else without going over your limit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    One of my pet peeves around here is when people say so flippantly, "Oh, you/I can eat anything you/I want!"

No, you can't.

To most people, when you say, "You can eat anything you want", that includes quantity. And if you are trying to lose or maintain weight, you don't get that luxury. You don't get to eat anything you want.

You can eat any item you want, but you can only eat it in quantities that won't blow your calorie limit for the day.

If you get 1600 calories for the day and you would like to blow that on a single portion of prime rib and some dinner rolls, you can do that. And then be hungry the rest of the day when you can't eat anything else without going over your limit.

I think most people say they can eat anything they want, but less. Or anything they want as long as it fits into their deficit. I don't know what you're talking about. That is a strange generalization.
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as its in my calories, fat, sugar etc. whether it is pizza, cake or chocolate.
    Friday is just a normal day.
    Why go without when you can just work it in your day?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

No, you can't.

And see, I've never seen anyone say this without some sort of qualifier. Like, as long as you stay under your calorie goal, or as long as you reach your nutritional needs, or things like that.

I also don't understand how anyone could possibly think they could whatever they want, whenever they want. I thought that was common sense.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I thought he said calorie counting doesn't work anyway?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Oompa loompas
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    100grams frozen banana
    70-100 grams frozen berries
    6 ice cubes Dark Chocolate Almond Milk
    1/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    24 grams PB2

That was my smoothie for Breakfast. How the heck isn't that healthy??
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

No, you can't.

When someone tells me that I can eat anything I want while I am posting in a calorie counting forum, no... I dont' think that also means quantity, because that goes against calorie counting.

And quantity = "you can eat however much you want," not "what".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not sure how putting in your weight in kg gives you 1,226 lbs to go. There's no way the conversion accounts for that. (I use weights in kg for lifting all the time, and have yet to think I'm lifting 1,226 lbs, although it's a cool idea!)