Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Needtobeonthebeach
    Needtobeonthebeach Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a distance runner so naturally I'm always trying to lose weight.. Lol
  • lesliepetsitter
    Options
    solarigirl wrote: »
    It got to a point where I realized that I wasn't the same confident, happy girl I once was anymore. I woke up one morning in January and just thought, I want to do this for the 12 year old who was bullied for her weight, I want to do this for the teenager who never quite felt comfortable, even in short sleeve tops or dresses, I want to do this for the girl who has never been able to wear a bikini without wanting to cry, I want to do this for all those times I've failed, because this is MY life, this is MY chance, and I only get one.

• s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were talking and ended up on the subject of weight, and just thinking about myself as heavy as I am just.. I teared up for the first time over it. It doesn't help that like none of my clothing fit me and I can't afford to buy anything else with being the only one of us two with any income(Live in the middle of nowhere with no vehicle, his job sucks as they keep laying half the plant off every 2 weeks).
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lets see:
    I have two children with autism and my step son has type one diabetes, so we have always tired to make healthier choices for them and their health. We decided to weigh everyone and take measurements. I have been overweight for pretty much all my life, I stepped on the scale and I was not supervised but I was disgusted. I was the heaviest I have ever been, right there and than I said no more. How can I teach my kids to make healthier choices when I don't do that. I need to lead by example. So that is what I have been doing ever since I started my journey 50 days ago and I am down 17 lbs and I will keep at this. I am not on a diet, I am just doing what I am teaching my kids, healthier choices and increase activity. I was able to quit smoking cold turkey 15 yrs ago so I can do this..
  • emilyjanehall97
    emilyjanehall97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw a friend recently whom I hadn't seen for about 6 months before that, and I didn't recognise him until he was about a foot in front of me. I realised at that point that it was achievable. It wasn't a transformation only seen on TV and in films, but I could actually change the way I look. And then I ate a couple of Easter eggs, and then started my weight loss regime.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I saw this picture after my vacation to Cancun a couple of months ago. WOW!

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10947415_10153127532469414_4310089105523377961_o.jpg
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting with weight since I hit puberty. Had a brief few years win my early 20's when I was actually at a reasonable weight and in great shape and I remember how good I felt about my body. I want that back. I married a man who was unfortunately not the best influence on my eating habits and gained a lot of weight. Then he died quite suddenly and I gained a whole lot more, and I didn't care for about a year. I got up t around 350 pounds. That was in 2000

Once I sort of woke up and realized that I was eating myself to death I decided that I had to change so started making changes. I gave up soda and lost 30 pounds. I changed from white bread and pasta to whole grains and lost more. I started riding my horse again and training and lost some more. I got down to about 295 and stalled.

In 2009 took up martial arts on the suggestion of a friend. Lots of sweat, pain, and hypoxia later I was down another 20 pounds.

2014 A new job that allowed me a better standard of living and better quality food and I dropped about 15 more. But over the winter I regained about 10. A visit with a potential new doctor sparked a angry rant and a conversation that I didn't want to have on FB. But the logic could not be ignored. I've added exercise I have improved my food choices. So the next and only logical step if I am serious about loosing this weight is calorie counting. I am ready to be serious about it. So I took a friend's recommendation and joined MFP. The day I saw this Dr (March 25th) I was at 275. Today I am at 264.5. It's only been 2.5 weeks.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Finally diagnosed as diabetic, and I was at my second highest weight.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In a sense, I just got serious about it one day.

There are a few things, though, that contribute to that & keeping me motivated.

-My fasting blood sugar was a bit high when it was checked about a year ago, and I want to make sure that doesn't continue. I don't want to have to go on medications for that, or to have to start monitoring.

-My dad had a heart attack at 43, and I'm now 42.

-My dad died a year and a half ago and my mom is in a nursing facility. Neither will get to know their grandkids well, though they did meet their first. I want to be around so they have some extended family on their dad's side.

-I want to be around & healthy enough to be there for those I care about.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm your average cliché - I got dumped.

I also got pretty sick, partially due to the dumping, and my food intake was seriously cut.
    Now I feel amazing, and I look back and wonder how I never realized how awful I felt 30lbs ago.
    So, the biggest thank you in the world to my DB of an ex.
  • at100uk
    at100uk Posts: 6
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    When getting a physical for my CDL to drive school bus, I learned that not only was I fat but my blood pressure, which had always been really good, was elevated. The doctor said it was serious enough I needed to take meds. That got my attention. I decided no way do I want to take meds the rest of my life. So, I guess it was serendipity that I decided to drive bus, got the physical and got the wake up call. Why exactly it "clicked" right then I'll never know, but I'm glad it did. I cut back and watched what I ate for about 5 months before I overheard someone talking about an online app for calorie control. Once I found MFP things really started rolling!

55835802.png

Ditto above plus being wrong side of 50

• BeauNamdozoMutiti48
    Options
    Hi I'm new here
    For me it was my knees hurting so much at the age of 35
  • liltpot78
    liltpot78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had two kids and a surgery in three years. When i was pregnant with my second child and realized I cannot be big forget. My goal is to get my prepregnancy body from my first child
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    liltpot78 wrote: »
    Had two kids and a surgery in three years. When i was pregnant with my second child and realized I cannot be big forget. My goal is to get my prepregnancy body from my first child

My goal is too also get back to my pre-pregnancy weight!! We can do this!!
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The first time was when I was looking through photos and saw this person and asked my dad who was the huge person that came to my daughters birthday party and he looked at me with a tear in his eye and said honey that's you. That was my heaviest weight 278. Lost over 100 pounds years ago. So I know it's possible. Now over 200 and want to be under that for when I turn 50. And to be a healthier me.
  • araya510
    araya510 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Highschool can do it to a person!! Everyone at my school (counting out a few) are tiny! But to be honest in the end I can weigh 999 pounds and my life could still be just as important and have the same amount of value. Guys All's I can say is don't lose weight for anyone but yourself. Other wise you learn to comply to others nasty comments!! EVERYONE HERE IS AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL and for the guys HANDSOME!
  • Bemix
    Bemix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I want a new, shiny mountain bike, but I knew I was way too heavy and out of shape. I needed to start with just walking and watching my intake. So, I decided to try out MFP! Now I have a weight goal and the bike is my reward which is awesome because I'll lose more weight and gain more strength riding it. Bonus! I'm only a few weeks in but I do feel absolutely amazing!
  • harrisdeutsch
    harrisdeutsch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine was a number on the scale. At 5'5" and 190...

I lost 40 and was down to 150...This morning I'm up to 165..that's another number that got my attention and back to MFP.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    A few things.
    Getting on an airplane for the first time in a long time and struggling to get the seat belt to fit around me.
    The office was getting new carpet and we had to move out everything. While we were moving my desk I was panting a bit and pouring sweat. My manager came up with a concerned look in his eyes and said " why don't you let one of the younger guys do that for you?'.
    I hadn't weighed myself in forever. My sister said I could come over and use her scale. It maxed out at 300 lbs. When I came out of her bathroom I had to tell her that her scale didn't go high enough.
    I bought a scale and found out I weighed 339 lbs. I am down to 253 right now. It's the best I have felt in a long time. I am not there yet but I refuse to go back.

That is a good weight loss for a good reason. The doctor wanted to put me on Enbrel injections to manage my arthritis pain and due to the cancer risk I looked at other options being 63 at the time. Some had cut out Carbs and cut their pain levels I found out using Google. A month after I finally went of Carbs cold turkey the pain level dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. No Enbrel requirement meant no increased cancer risk so I decided to stay on a very low carb eating lifestyle. The weight loss was a positive side effect that started after two months and 7 months later my health is better than in the past 20 years and I can get in and out of cars unaided unlike a year ago.