1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well I'm stuffed then!!!! As mfp gives me over 1000 calories burned for 25,000 steps which is roughly 10-11miles.
    Which going by all the posts here is highly innacurate. ..

How does MFP give you 1000 calories for steps?

Or you mean you have a Fitbit that has the steps, and you are talking your Fitbit adjustment?

That adjustment is NOT just exercise, it is merely the difference between what Fitbit estimated you burned and what MFP thought you'd burn with no exercise based on your choice of activity level.

That adjustment is the whole day - and you could easily burn 1000 more during the whole day than MFP thought you would if you selected Sedentary say.
    That's a lot of miles and steps.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This!
  • heybales
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

As above you're massively overestimating your burn. I've just checked back through my records and when I was 270lbs I was only burning around 750 cals an hr for running (and whilst it was slow running, it was running for an hour, no walking).

I'm 163lbs now and did a 33mile ultra yesterday with nearly 4000ft of total climbs in 8hrs and only burned about 4000 cals (so averaging 500 an hour).

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

What are you using to estimate calorie burn?

So 4.125 mph walking? with 2.3% avg grade for 8 hrs for 163 lbs - 4024 calories.

Just wondering what you used that was so close.
  • imajorchubby
    Options
    Man, so much math with losing weight! I hate math! :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Man, so much math with losing weight! I hate math! :smiley:

I know right. My eyes kinda glaze over when I see numbers and percentages...
    I'm just not a natural numbers person!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Well I'm stuffed then!!!! As mfp gives me over 1000 calories burned for 25,000 steps which is roughly 10-11miles.
    Which going by all the posts here is highly innacurate. ..

How does MFP give you 1000 calories for steps?

Or you mean you have a Fitbit that has the steps, and you are talking your Fitbit adjustment?

That adjustment is NOT just exercise, it is merely the difference between what Fitbit estimated you burned and what MFP thought you'd burn with no exercise based on your choice of activity level.

That adjustment is the whole day - and you could easily burn 1000 more during the whole day than MFP thought you would if you selected Sedentary say.
    That's a lot of miles and steps.

yes I've got my fitbit synced with mfp. And I'm set at sedentary

• hangamaamiri
    hangamaamiri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some time ago I was in a challenge where I burned 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and it really helped to boost my weight loss. I'm starting the same challenge again tomorrow, if anyone would like to join me.:) All you have to do is burn 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and I will be posting in this forum every day to see how everyone is doing. I can't wait to start this challenge, and if you would like to join me just comment with, "I'm in!" Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there!

Awesome! Count me in! I burn 1,300 every Monday , Wed, Fri, & Sun. But, summer is here, so running outside is more fun! Will challange to do an hour non stop for 7 days!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ain't nobody got time for that. Well, at least I don't. Nor the energy. Holy mackerel.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Ain't nobody got time for that. Well, at least I don't. Nor the energy. Holy mackerel.

When I was training for randonneuring events, I did that 5-6 days a week for months on end. I couldn't eat enough to keep the weight on.

But it is a little more challenging to put in the time right now.

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

As above you're massively overestimating your burn. I've just checked back through my records and when I was 270lbs I was only burning around 750 cals an hr for running (and whilst it was slow running, it was running for an hour, no walking).

I'm 163lbs now and did a 33mile ultra yesterday with nearly 4000ft of total climbs in 8hrs and only burned about 4000 cals (so averaging 500 an hour).

So 4.125 mph walking? with 2.3% avg grade for 8 hrs for 163 lbs - 4024 calories.

HRM and then did a double check against a couple of online calculators. Average speed from my Garmin was 4.3mph (a mixture of trotting, some walking and a horrendous 40mins of trying not to break an ankle in a boulder field!), I can't estimate gradient as it was a coastal path so lots of short but steep ups and downs - most of the climbs were less than 250-300ft in one go I'd estimate.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

HRM and then did a double check against a couple of online calculators. Average speed from my Garmin was 4.3mph (a mixture of trotting, some walking and a horrendous 40mins of trying not to break an ankle in a boulder field!), I can't estimate gradient as it was a coastal path so lots of short but steep ups and downs - most of the climbs were less than 250-300ft in one go I'd estimate.

4000 calories for 8 hours of walking on rough terrain sounds about right to me.

For me, moderate cycling on relatively flat terrain burns about the same amount.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

lol no way. not happening. Follow me around one day (and keep up) while I am out training to see what a "real" 1000 calorie burn feels like. I am guessing it will nearly kill you...
  • glevinso
    Options

Mad props yo. I like running and all but 26.2 is as far as I am willing to go on foot. You ultra-runners are a special breed :)
  • Samstan101
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Mad props yo. I like running and all but 26.2 is as far as I am willing to go on foot. You ultra-runners are a special breed :)
    Thanks, it was my 1st ultra (my 1st marathon is at the end of this month LOL). Will definitely be doing more in the future though!
  • heybales
    edited April 2015
    Options

If you upload your Garmin file in to SportTracks, you can get an add-on that does elevation correction and other fun analysis (if you like data).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So many misinformed people in this thread. Sad.

Care to explain your sadness?

Can you burn 1000 calories for seven days as a challenge?

It will be influenced by the time and effort you put in as well as your current weight and fitness level plus what you are doing.

Yes its doable, but is likely to take 2hrs + a day exercise, so harder to do all in one go. Approached sensibly then it can be done and imo its not that hard if you prepare properly and pace yourself.

Not seeing the point of people saying no they arent in, when shes only interested in people who want to take up the challenge? There are plenty of lose xlbs by y date, but people dont sign up to say they are not taking part in those.
  • Samstan101
    edited April 2015
    Options

If you upload your Garmin file in to SportTracks, you can get an add-on that does elevation correction and other fun analysis (if you like data).

Oh! That's brill, thanks - being a data geek that's made my day! :smiley:

Edit: Windows only :( (I have a macbook)

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No thank you. A 50mile, 3hr ride on my road bike doesn't burn more than about 700. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 4+ hours a day working out on a challenge. I have more important things to do. Like play with my dog or spend time in my gardens.

I think your burns are off. You do realize the Tour de France riders (who ride at a very easy pace 90% of the time) burn 5000 calories every day, and they ride 100-200 miles each day. How do you figure that you burn a mere 700 in 50 miles?

Heck, when I was mountain biking, I easily burned 1000+ calories in 2 hours.

Just completed a 50 over the weekend. 2:17:00 and burned right at 1,000 according to HRM. I think it was like 1,018 or something. That was at 22mph pace for the ride (1,800' elevation).

• glevinso
    Options
    I was in a road race this past Saturday. Only a 33 mile ride in 1:40, but I got a 1400 calorie burn out of it (as calculated by my power meter so I believe it). I was averaging 235 watts for the entire 1:40
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I was in a road race this past Saturday. Only a 33 mile ride in 1:40, but I got a 1400 calorie burn out of it (as calculated by my power meter so I believe it). I was averaging 235 watts for the entire 1:40

I stuck in the middle of a 25 person group for 45 miles.... My wattage was lower than yours. Only at 100 average for the ride. I only had 80 miles this year before those 50 so I wasn't pushing it too much plus it was raining for 60% of the ride, hence the relatively slow time.