Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    The ease at which someone burns 1000 calories is directly proportional to the amount of time in which they are attempting to do so.
    nods
    - burning 1000 calories in 24 hours- easy_
    - burning 1000 calories in 24 minutes- Ha ha ha ha- good luck.

But what you say is true- True - I will also add if you are *trying* to burn 1000 calories you are probably not going to actually succeed because you are probably not in shape to pull it off.

Maybe that is snobby of me... but whatever I stopped caring what people think of me long ago :)

It's not snobbery- but an observation of people/trends/goals.

Someone TRYING to make that kind of burn is probably trying to fix something- or undo something- and probably doesn't understand how this works- and hasn't been training for many moons.

Less about snobbery and more about the realization that a trained athlete or someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.

This is why I love you.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride in crit races and can have an average of 32-35mph for 45 minutes....no 1k burns in an hour for me :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The ease at which someone burns 1000 calories is directly proportional to the amount of time in which they are attempting to do so.
    nods

But what you say is true- True - I will also add if you are *trying* to burn 1000 calories you are probably not going to actually succeed because you are probably not in shape to pull it off.

Maybe that is snobby of me... but whatever I stopped caring what people think of me long ago :)

Someone TRYING to make that kind of burn is probably trying to fix something- or undo something- and probably doesn't understand how this works- and hasn't been training for many moons.

Less about snobbery and more about the realization that a trained athlete or someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.

This is why I love you.
    <3 you to!!!
    Apparently words are not so hard for me this afternoon- look what a good duece will do for you ;) he he he
  • chivalryder
    Options
    nods

This is why I love you.
    <3 you to!!!
    Apparently words are not so hard for me this afternoon- look what a good duece will do for you ;) he he he

I laughed so hard, brown came out.

Not really, but it's the thought that counts.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    nods

This is why I love you.
    <3 you to!!!

41683.png
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.

1000 calories per hour is the equivalent of sustained 277 watts for that hour (assuming 1 to 1 kilojoules to kilocalories, kcal/3.6 will get you watts). This is right around my measured 1-hour threshold power (I tested at 280w). So in theory, if I ride myself into the ground exhaustion. Hit the wall at one hour and drop nearly dead... I could pull off 1000 calories in an hour.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello, I'm also new here and on my 6th week of owning the (awesome) Polar M400 along with the Polar H7 HRM and using MFP for my caloric intake.
    I wear both Polar products 24/7 so they are as "accurate" as possible, and the results so far are confirmed by my weight loss.

I've been consistently losing 1kg/week (1200 daily calorie deficit) by burning 4000 calories per day and eating 2800 calories or less.
    I started at 96.5kg (I'm 188cm) and I just passed the 90kg stage.
    My goal is 83-84kg

My V02max reading went from 43 to 58 in 6 weeks.

I bike to and from work (450 cals)
    I run on the treadmill 7km on Polar HR Zone 4 (2MJ***)
    I do strength training 3-4 times a week ~200calories.
    I do the above 2x during the weekend.

The rest (caloric burn) is achieved by walking as much as possible during the work day and after.

I find it distressing that people are so negative in this thread.
    It is certainly possible to burn 1000 calories by exercise daily.

The slower you move (i.e. low HR) the longer it will take.

Just think of your body as a finely tuned ICE (internal combustion engine) of a car
    The higher the revs your "engine" works at, the more fuel (cals) you burn
    The heavier you are the more fuel you burn (SUV vs. supercompact)
    Keep in mind that elite athletes are far more efficient in their caloric use and it's probably not a great idea to compare ourselves to them.

Anyway, enjoy the process and the journey...
    and I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!

Cheers.

*** The Treadmill reports 2MJ (478 calories) but that's just the input power used into the machine. Polar reports over 740 calories for this exercise because we still need energy to breathe, pump blood, etc. etc.

You can see a sample of that report here:

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/75391570

• glevinso
    Options
    I just looked at my garmin file from my race on Saturday. My peak 1-hr average power was 248 watts, netting me 891 calories. That was early on in the total 1:40 race.
  • glevinso
    Options

Spot on. When I saw the summary data from Saturday's race, the 30 minutes I spent warming up sitting on a trainer next to my car, and the 37 minute shake-down ride I did afterwards my reaction to the number was "Time to go eat a giant cheeseburger since there is no other way to make up this many calories". It was not "yay calories!"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Exactly.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Hello, I'm also new here and on my 6th week of owning the (awesome) Polar M400 along with the Polar H7 HRM and using MFP for my caloric intake.
    I wear both Polar products 24/7 so they are as "accurate" as possible, and the results so far are confirmed by my weight loss.

I've been consistently losing 1kg/week (1200 daily calorie deficit) by burning 4000 calories per day and eating 2800 calories or less.
    I started at 96.5kg (I'm 188cm) and I just passed the 90kg stage.
    My goal is 83-84kg

My V02max reading went from 43 to 58 in 6 weeks.

I bike to and from work (450 cals)
    I run on the treadmill 7km on Polar HR Zone 4 (2MJ***)
    I do strength training 3-4 times a week ~200calories.
    I do the above 2x during the weekend.

The rest (caloric burn) is achieved by walking as much as possible during the work day and after.

I find it distressing that people are so negative in this thread.
    It is certainly possible to burn 1000 calories by exercise daily.

The slower you move (i.e. low HR) the longer it will take.

Just think of your body as a finely tuned ICE (internal combustion engine) of a car
    The higher the revs your "engine" works at, the more fuel (cals) you burn
    The heavier you are the more fuel you burn (SUV vs. supercompact)
    Keep in mind that elite athletes are far more efficient in their caloric use and it's probably not a great idea to compare ourselves to them.

Anyway, enjoy the process and the journey...
    and I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!

Cheers.

*** The Treadmill reports 2MJ (478 calories) but that's just the input power used into the machine. Polar reports over 740 calories for this exercise because we still need energy to breathe, pump blood, etc. etc.

You can see a sample of that report here:

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/75391570

I can't even... There is just so much wrong with all this. :disappointed:

Can someone else please chime in?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.

1000 calories per hour is the equivalent of sustained 277 watts for that hour (assuming 1 to 1 kilojoules to kilocalories, kcal/3.6 will get you watts). This is right around my measured 1-hour threshold power (I tested at 280w). So in theory, if I ride myself into the ground exhaustion. Hit the wall at one hour and drop nearly dead... I could pull off 1000 calories in an hour.

Not gonna lie. I was pulling a gear that was a lot taller than what I should have. I took a good 1 minute break at the top of many hills, so it was true HIIT. Not this mainstream HIIT that people can keep up for an hour without resting.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Forget about an hour to burn 1000 calories. You simply need more time (2 hours will certainly suffice). Work the HR/Power Output zones. If one has time, burning 1000 calories a day is a piece of cake. Or leads to a piece of cake. ;-) I got 1400+ today which was a simple 2:17:22 Zone 1/2 bike ride, plus 40 minutes of walking. Nothing I will not be able to recover and bounce right back from for tomorrow.

God forbid somebody did manual labor for a living. Talk about scoffing at burning a measly 1000 calories per day. Or God forbid that somebody would walk 120+ minutes a day to and from work and all of their errands in addition to some gym time, or bike time.

Downhill skiing for a full day, every day for a full week. Piece of cake, right? You want to know the daily calorie burn for moderate DH skiing? Oh, that's right - it's a vacation. ;-)
  • chivalryder
    Options

Spot on. When I saw the summary data from Saturday's race, the 30 minutes I spent warming up sitting on a trainer next to my car, and the 37 minute shake-down ride I did afterwards my reaction to the number was "Time to go eat a giant cheeseburger since there is no other way to make up this many calories". It was not "yay calories!"

Why people race bicycles:

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.

*like*

• chivalryder
    Options

Forget about an hour to burn 1000 calories. You simply need more time (2 hours will certainly suffice). Work the HR/Power Output zones. If one has time, burning 1000 calories a day is a piece of cake. Or leads to a piece of cake. ;-) I got 1400+ today which was a simple 2:17:22 Zone 1/2 bike ride, plus 40 minutes of walking. Nothing I will not be able to recover and bounce right back from for tomorrow.

God forbid somebody did manual labor for a living. Talk about scoffing at burning a measly 1000 calories per day. Or God forbid that somebody would walk 120+ minutes a day to and from work and all of their errands in addition to some gym time, or bike time.

Downhill skiing for a full day, every day for a full week. Piece of cake, right? You want to know the daily calorie burn for moderate DH skiing? Oh, that's right - it's a vacation. ;-)

I think she meant simply from dedicated exercise time, not from regular daily activity, which varies from person to person.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I can't even... There is just so much wrong with all this. :disappointed:

Can someone else please chime in?[/quote]

Would you please enlighten me?
    Don't be shy, I'm an engineer. I understand numbers and concepts.
  • Hornsby
    Options

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.

Not gonna lie, if feels good to ride a century ride or something, gorge on 2000 calories worth of nutella pancakes, and still have a 2-3K calories left for the day.

• glevinso
    Options

Not the way I ski. Hiking peaks, skiing bumps, in the trees all day... But yea if all you do is rip groomers you are not doing much more work than sitting on the couch.
  • glevinso
    Options

I have given up long ago trying to eat "clean" (whatever the hell that means). If I did that I would waste away to nothing. Beer helps keep my weight up.