1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.

Elite athletes would comfortably do that - they are so far off the scale compared to "normal" people that it's demoralising.

When I started using a power meter for training I was struggling to maintain 190w for an hour. I may be 55 but my VO2 max puts me at "very good" for someone in late 30's.
    So asked my cycling buddy (club record holder for 24hr, 440 miles) what he can do - 200w for four hours or 260w for one hour. That explained why he leaves me for dead!

But someone like Bradley Wiggins is estimated to be capable of 450w+ so 1,000 cals per hour would be easy.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Linda73c wrote: »
    KK Jackson! Im in. Forget the negative people. I will start today after work. I was actually trying to go from doing 550 to 700. If that means I spend 2 hours at the gym each day this week oh well its only going to benefit me.

It will NOT only benefit you. Ever heard of overuse injuries, or overtraining?

It's real. If you increase your exercise activity by 100%, you will more than likely injure yourself which will just set you back on your effort to lose weight and improve fitness.

Never increase by more than 10% every week. 5% is a much better number to aim for. That way, you will allow your body to adjust and adapt. Maybe in some time from now, you can do 2 hours/day of exercise, but today is not that day.
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.

Elite athletes would comfortably do that - they are so far off the scale compared to "normal" people that it's demoralising.

When I started using a power meter for training I was struggling to maintain 190w for an hour. I may be 55 but my VO2 max puts me at "very good" for someone in late 30's.
    So asked my cycling buddy (club record holder for 24hr, 440 miles) what he can do - 200w for four hours or 260w for one hour. That explained why he leaves me for dead!

But someone like Bradley Wiggins is estimated to be capable of 450w+ so 1,000 cals per hour would be easy.

Yes, but those are the last people I'd expect to see on MFP. Those are the elite of the elite. They are in a class of their own and may not even be considered human.

As for BW putting out 450W+, that's only during time trials and hill climbs. This is where he wins races. He's not putting down 450W for the entire 100+mile stages. The longest climb is only an hour long (lol @ only), so yeah, he's burning 1000 calories in an hour, but it's not something he regularly does.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I can't even... There is just so much wrong with all this. :disappointed:

Can someone else please chime in?

Would you please enlighten me?
    Don't be shy, I'm an engineer. I understand numbers and concepts.

You'll have to give me some time. There's quite a lot to respond to.

I will say this first though: Heart rate monitors calculate calocic burn based off of algorithms that are designed for aerobic exercise. The further away you get from the aerobic exercise zone, the more inaccurate it will be.

So, by wearing it all day, you are not getting an accurate number from it because you're not aerobic all day. Maybe 2 hours at most, right? It's going to be way off...

And that's just for starters.

I'm trying to find some of heybale's research on this, but the above is correct. HRM are only looking at steady state aerobic exercise (I believe some of the newer models do have alternate algorithms for HIIT though), and will greatly overestimate burns for when you are not doing exercise. In addition, HRM can overestimate calories for exercise if they aren't programmed right. The most reliable models allow you to input your VO2max for the most accurate estimates. And even then, it's an estimate based on an algorithm of averages.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Yes, but those are the last people I'd expect to see on MFP. Those are the elite of the elite. They are in a class of their own and may not even be considered human.

There are other issues as well.

Women out for a walk in the 1940's...

17136522212_5b3d3d3a52_z.jpg1940s-fashion

Far too many women of the 2010's...

16950555650_82f2158614_z.jpgfnspy03

Same could be said for men.
  • Linda73c
    Linda73c Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    chivalryer, if your not going to participate I don’t understand why your commenting. I do not think I asked for your opinion.
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    chivalryer, if your not going to participate I don’t understand why your commenting. I do not think I asked for your opinion.

You posted in an open, public forum on the internet. That's an invitation for every single person in the world to share their opinion. If you don't want to receive an opinion you disagree with, do not post anything.

Oh, and I am participating. I'm not going to go the full 7 days, but I'm cycling to and from work on Tuesday and Thursday, which will likely be at least 1000 calories each day, in over 2 hours of cycling (about 1 hour 15 minutes each way).

I am not, however, doing it for the burn. The burn is a side effect of enjoying my life and saving money by not driving to and from work.

Eventually, I will be commuting by bicycle daily, plus running all my weekend errands by bike, but I'm slowly working towards that. I'm not going to kill myself by suddenly doing a marathon every day.

Edited because I thought we were talking about a different post.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

He did answer. It may not benefit you cause you could get overuse injuries. To think you can ONLY benefit from exercising for 2-3 hours a day is just flat out wrong.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    So the thing you have to understand about the way a heart rate monitor calculates calories is that there is a loose correlation between the amount/intensity of work you are doing and your heart rate.

For example, when you are running, you have a specific HR and your HRM is using an algorithm to calculate an approximate burn. If you run a little bit faster, your heart rate goes up a little and the HRM says you burned a few more calories. Run slower, your heart rate will be a little lower, thus fewer calories burned.

There are ways to "fake" this out. One way is to take a big dose of caffeine prior to your workout. Your HR will be artificially higher than it normally will be at whatever pace you are running.

Another way to fake it out is to do sprints with relatively short recoveries (Tabata). Your heart rate will climb high on the sprint effort, and while you are actually sprinting you will burn calories in a way the HRM can calculate. However when the sprint is over your heart rate isn't going to come down as fast as your speed. So you might only be running at a 12:00/mi pace in between sprint efforts, but your HR will stay high, thus your HRM will think you are still "working hard" and will calculate a higher number of calories.

Your heart rate is a PROXY for actual calories burned, not a direct correlation.

Thank you for the answer. Based on some of the other reported numbers here, I'm leaning towards p90xcalories.com overestimating the number of calories used in a workout. The Plyo work is essentially exactly what you describe, doing things like jump squats at maximum intensity for 30s and then resting in between. Unfortunately that site doesn't give any information of how they estimate calories for a workout, so it's difficult to come up with a reasonable scale factor without more experience.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Less about snobbery and more about the realization that a trained athlete or someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.

Spot on. When I saw the summary data from Saturday's race, the 30 minutes I spent warming up sitting on a trainer next to my car, and the 37 minute shake-down ride I did afterwards my reaction to the number was "Time to go eat a giant cheeseburger since there is no other way to make up this many calories". It was not "yay calories!"

Why people race bicycles:

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.

Not gonna lie, if feels good to ride a century ride or something, gorge on 2000 calories worth of nutella pancakes, and still have a 2-3K calories left for the day.

Nutella is god's gift to everyone...

Let me fix that for you.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and JoRocka, what was the point of your negative post?

That you're deeply incorrect about your thought process that you think trying to spend hours and hours in the gym to have a bigger burn is "only going to benefit you"

not negative- merely that you're incorrect.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    So the thing you have to understand about the way a heart rate monitor calculates calories is that there is a loose correlation between the amount/intensity of work you are doing and your heart rate.

For example, when you are running, you have a specific HR and your HRM is using an algorithm to calculate an approximate burn. If you run a little bit faster, your heart rate goes up a little and the HRM says you burned a few more calories. Run slower, your heart rate will be a little lower, thus fewer calories burned.

There are ways to "fake" this out. One way is to take a big dose of caffeine prior to your workout. Your HR will be artificially higher than it normally will be at whatever pace you are running.

Another way to fake it out is to do sprints with relatively short recoveries (Tabata). Your heart rate will climb high on the sprint effort, and while you are actually sprinting you will burn calories in a way the HRM can calculate. However when the sprint is over your heart rate isn't going to come down as fast as your speed. So you might only be running at a 12:00/mi pace in between sprint efforts, but your HR will stay high, thus your HRM will think you are still "working hard" and will calculate a higher number of calories.

Your heart rate is a PROXY for actual calories burned, not a direct correlation.

Thank you for the answer. Based on some of the other reported numbers here, I'm leaning towards p90xcalories.com overestimating the number of calories used in a workout. The Plyo work is essentially exactly what you describe, doing things like jump squats at maximum intensity for 30s and then resting in between. Unfortunately that site doesn't give any information of how they estimate calories for a workout, so it's difficult to come up with a reasonable scale factor without more experience.

When I was eating back calories, I'd just use 2/3 of the MFP or machine calories (when doing an elliptical) as a rough estimate. I now just eat the same amount of calories everyday and have a typical workout routine. I actually use the highly inaccurate estimate from my fitbit (inaccurate since I lift but it also overestimates steps). I took a 30 day average and then compared that with a 6 week period where I was strictly weighing all my food and logging accurately. The fitbit numbers matched almost exactly with my weight loss, so that's what I'm going with.

I honestly think that accurate tracking of calories and weight loss over a long period of time is the best way to measure your calorie expenditure.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's no dispute that you can burn 1,000 calories in a day. The dispute is that it's highly unlikely that you are burning 1,000 calories in an hour.

If you want to burn 1,000 calories a day, by all means, go for it. But be realistic in your expectations, give yourself rest (days), and be prepared to spend more than an hour of exercise to achieve that goal.

To add my own anecdote, when I was obese (AKA, 180-190 lbs at 5'2), I was hiking for 2.5ish hours 3x a week while my daughter was in preschool. I never ONCE broke 1,000 calories. The most I ever got was hiking 6.5 miles and that was 861 calories (according to my HRM, so take that with a grain of salt). I don't have that kind of time these days with a newborn baby, so yeah, it's unlikely I'll ever see that type of number again until she's out of diapers. I'm lucky if I get an hour to myself, let alone take a 15 minute shower. Just sayin'.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also, you posted in an open, public forum on the internet. That's an invitation for every single person in the world to share their opinion. If you don't want to receive an opinion you disagree with, do not post anything.

An invitation? No, it's not an invitation. People do it, though... sometimes in an attempt to help, sometimes just to be an *kitten*, but usually somewhere in between.

This thread has become more about being right and piling on than it is about a challenge to push yourself for 7 consecutive days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    KK Jackson! Im in. Forget the negative people. I will start today after work. I was actually trying to go from doing 550 to 700. If that means I spend 2 hours at the gym each day this week oh well its only going to benefit me.

The point people are trying to make is that a whole lot of you are substantially overestimating your calorie burns from exercise...I can guarantee you it's going to take more than 2 hours to burn 1,000 calories.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Why people race bicycles:

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.

People who race bikes seriously are not eating unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods. ;-)

Well, unless you are talking about my peanut butter sandwiches on multi-grain goodness....

I dunno. Chris Eatough ate Pop Tarts while racing. Those are the debil and the king of unhealthy eats!

You can watch tons of dudes drink their cokes while on the bike as well.

They get handups of Coke cans from their team cars all the time

True story, there was a pro team in town for a series of crits last summer who were sponsored by Herbalife. At the end of the race, each of them were handed a bottle of it to hold during press photos (they cleaned up since they were the only actual pro team in the pro-cat 1/2 races) and every one of them dumped the bottles as soon as they walked away from the podium, then bummed cokes off the local bike shop.

lol! I would throw away the MLM product also! I'm no elite athlete of course, but if I'm really depleted, I like coconut water to get electrolytes back.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nutella is god's gift to everyone...

Let me fix that for you.

10 tablespoons a day qualifies for this challenge...

• lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

As for BW putting out 450W+, that's only during time trials and hill climbs. This is where he wins races. He's not putting down 450W for the entire 100+mile stages. The longest climb is only an hour long (lol @ only), so yeah, he's burning 1000 calories in an hour, but it's not something he regularly does.

Your quote was "I can't believe anyone else can" not I don't think anyone on MFP can!
    I'm well aware that's TT pace not stage pace so we are talking hourly rates.

That you can't and I can't just means we aren't elite. :smile:

There's also endurance monsters around like Steven Abraham who would find 1000 calorie exercise days a walk in the park.....

Starting on January 1st 2015 Steven Abraham commenced an attempt to beat Tommy Godwin's record set in 1939.
    He has to cycle more than 75,065 miles in 365 days. That is an average of over 205 miles a day, every day, for a year.

Completely bonkers really. Wonder what his food bill is like?
  • chivalryder
    Options

Your quote was "I can't believe anyone else can" not I don't think anyone on MFP can!
    I'm well aware that's TT pace not stage pace so we are talking hourly rates.

That you can't and I can't just means we aren't elite. :smile:

There's also endurance monsters around like Steven Abraham who would find 1000 calorie exercise days a walk in the park.....

Starting on January 1st 2015 Steven Abraham commenced an attempt to beat Tommy Godwin's record set in 1939.
    He has to cycle more than 75,065 miles in 365 days. That is an average of over 205 miles a day, every day, for a year.

Completely bonkers really. Wonder what his food bill is like?

You're right, I was looking globally.

Still, I question whether or not those people are actually human. I mean, 450W for an hour? CRAZY!

(Yes, that was a joke).