1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Why people race bicycles:

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.

People who race bikes seriously are not eating unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods. ;-)

Well, unless you are talking about my peanut butter sandwiches on multi-grain goodness....

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    dude I can bust my @$$ in the gym for two hours and it gives me a burn of 450 max. This would kill me dead.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I can't even... There is just so much wrong with all this. :disappointed:

Can someone else please chime in?

Would you please enlighten me?
    Don't be shy, I'm an engineer. I understand numbers and concepts.

You'll have to give me some time. There's quite a lot to respond to.

I will say this first though: Heart rate monitors calculate calocic burn based off of algorithms that are designed for aerobic exercise. The further away you get from the aerobic exercise zone, the more inaccurate it will be.

So, by wearing it all day, you are not getting an accurate number from it because you're not aerobic all day. Maybe 2 hours at most, right? It's going to be way off...

And that's just for starters.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

So they can gorge on all of of the unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods that will make your arms and legs and genitals fall off unless you do an immediate detox cleanse immediately after.

People who race bikes seriously are not eating unhealthy junk garbage *kitten* foods. ;-)

Well, unless you are talking about my peanut butter sandwiches on multi-grain goodness....

I guess I should clarify most of what I eat is "healthy" stuff, but there is always beer and sometimes unhealthy junk too because sometimes I just need all the calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

baloney.

not so says the professional race one post literally above yours.
    I have given up long ago trying to eat "clean" (whatever the hell that means). If I did that I would waste away to nothing. Beer helps keep my weight up.

There is no way to keep weight on your body if you're burning those kind of calories regularly without some seriously high calorie food.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I dunno. Chris Eatough ate Pop Tarts while racing. Those are the debil and the king of unhealthy eats!
  • glevinso
    Options
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Less about snobbery and more about the realization that a trained athlete or someone who DOES regularly burn that kind of energy- would never be going out of their way to do so- it's merely a by product of something they love.

Spot on. When I saw the summary data from Saturday's race, the 30 minutes I spent warming up sitting on a trainer next to my car, and the 37 minute shake-down ride I did afterwards my reaction to the number was "Time to go eat a giant cheeseburger since there is no other way to make up this many calories". It was not "yay calories!"

Not gonna lie, if feels good to ride a century ride or something, gorge on 2000 calories worth of nutella pancakes, and still have a 2-3K calories left for the day.

Nutella is god's gift to cyclists...
  • JoRocka
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.
    I don't believe you need to be paid- or sponsered to be a pro.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

getting paid/sponsored =/= pro.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I dunno. Chris Eatough ate Pop Tarts while racing. Those are the debil and the king of unhealthy eats!

You can watch tons of dudes drink their cokes while on the bike as well.
  • glevinso
    Options

They get handups of Coke cans from their team cars all the time
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I do. Virtually nothing I eat is traditionally considered "healthy."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not to mention the stuff like Skratch and what not, it's just pure sugar water. Kinda "junky" I would say...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It's the only time I've enjoyed warm coke.
  • Linda73c
    Linda73c Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    KK Jackson! Im in. Forget the negative people. I will start today after work. I was actually trying to go from doing 550 to 700. If that means I spend 2 hours at the gym each day this week oh well its only going to benefit me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Linda73c wrote: »
    KK Jackson! Im in. Forget the negative people. I will start today after work. I was actually trying to go from doing 550 to 700. If that means I spend 2 hours at the gym each day this week oh well its only going to benefit me.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong... wrong wrong wrong wrong...

yer wrong.... yer wrong....

your wroooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Wait. Beer. Pop-Tarts. Neither qualify has unhealthy junkfood.

CICO aside, I thought you were talking about lovely goodness like batter fried onion rings dipped in BBQ sauce, deep fried Oreos and ice cream, Twinkies, Velveeta Cheese poured over corn chips with a scoop of sour cream, you know - the typical American diet. ;-)

What do the team Chefs feed the Tour de France racers? Now we're talking bang for the buck fuel!!!

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

True story, there was a pro team in town for a series of crits last summer who were sponsored by Herbalife. At the end of the race, each of them were handed a bottle of it to hold during press photos (they cleaned up since they were the only actual pro team in the pro-cat 1/2 races) and every one of them dumped the bottles as soon as they walked away from the podium, then bummed cokes off the local bike shop.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Linda73c wrote: »
    LOL
  • Linda73c
    Linda73c Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    and JoRocka, what was the point of your negative post?