1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    No way. I am consuming every one of those back. :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    For the inevitable injuries:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10137878/follow-up-thread-for-injuries-sustained-from-1-000-calorie-challenge

(Note I didn't say it was inevitable that everyone trying this would sustain an injury...only that if everyone tries this, that there will be injuries is inevitable.)

I am honestly kinda surprised that some here are still willing to attempt it even after the discussion around what it actually took to burn 1000/day.

Unless we are talking "fake" 1000 calorie burns like what the OP described.

I thought you were pointing out that you consistently achieved this? Clearly not for everyone especially if you dont have the time, determination or fitness level. The only bit I dont like is no rest day. Absolutely no need to injure yourself if you take care.

That was my point. It has taken me years to get to the point where I can do what the OP suggests consistently. There are a few others who have posted in this thread that they are in a similar boat. The majority of people who are thinking of attempting this simply *should not* for risk of injury. I laid out what it actually takes to burn that many calories in a day, consistently.

Alternatively - someone capable of actually killing 1000/day through training is likely more worried about how to actually eat enough to maintain weight rather than lose weight which is what I suspect the OP was trying to do.

I can cut through 1,000 calories in about 6 miles. I've been trying to hit 50 miles per week so that easily meets the daily limit. 8 miles this morning. Up your weight to 225 and hitting this goal is a snap. :laugh:
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Consuming/drinking
  • glevinso
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Consuming/drinking
    I will be completely honest here and say with absolute certainty that I am drinking those calories back.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Alternatively - someone capable of actually killing 1000/day through training is likely more worried about how to actually eat enough to maintain weight rather than lose weight which is what I suspect the OP was trying to do.

Thumbs up on that! Pass the desserts, grilled meat, noodles, booze and whatever else is down there on the end of the table.

Tomorrow includes my regular breakfast, two huge meals, a coffee and cake celebration in the afternoon at a party, and a bit of drinking in the evening to fuel the burn. Luckily, Thursday calls for a 4 x 8 session of Zone 4 intervals which is only 75 minutes, but will mirror what I posted earlier in the thread of it burning a little over 1000 calories. Pretty sure the cumulative effect of giving a go at the challenge, jet lag, and yet another flight this coming weekend may foil any attempt at making it 7 consecutive days. I will hit 7000 calories for the week tomorrow which will only be the third week this year according to TrainingPeaks (but that includes Sunday which I did nothing but sit in airplanes)...

16972346398_cd472ed795_z.jpg2015

Looks like I hit the 7K weekly calorie burn 9 weeks last year...

16540198593_d065755b43_z.jpg2014

Again, probably not that huge of a deal for endurance athletes training for events.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Nice.

Yea I was going with the 7000 per week rather than 1000 per day as I always have a mostly-rest day in there somewhere but it is quite common for me to still clock over 8000 in a week in the other 6 days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Consuming/drinking
    I will be completely honest here and say with absolute certainty that I am drinking those calories back.

this guy. I like this guy.
  • ZijadaC
    ZijadaC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do 1,000 calorie workouts at least twice a week. Once I got to 1,500 calories. It does take me around two hours though and I use a HRM to track. I wouldn't mind doing this for a week, but I dont have that much time all days.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories running in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

tvjd17zsp1h9.jpg
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

You really need to have it calibrated properly.

Have you tested your max HR?
    Do you know your VO2 Max?
    Do you have your resting/sitting heart rate?
    Do you update your weight every single time you use it?

These are all important variables that maybe 1% of users know or keep track of. The more accurate these variables are, the more accurate your burn will be.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

These are all important variables that maybe 1% of users know or keep track of. The more accurate these variables are, the more accurate your burn will be.

DAMNIT. No.

I guess I should figure all that stuff out.

But if that's accurate then a HRM is the most accurate way to measure burned calories correct?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

DAMNIT. No.

But if that's accurate then a HRM is the most accurate way to measure burned calories correct?

For steady state cardio....yes (at least keeping budget in mind). I actually don't think your numbers are far off if at all in what you posted.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    okay cool, i'm looking trying to figure it out and this *kitten* is confusing.

i'm determined...but....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

i'm determined...but....

Keep in mind, regardless of how accurate you get with everything, it's still just an estimate. Everything is an estimate. You're going to be over some days, and under other days, even if you hit your numbers 100% of the time.

Don't get bogged down by the details. You need to look at the big picture. Are you still losing weight? Yes? Then don't fret it. If you stop losing weight for an extended period of time, then you should start looking into making changes.
  • Hornsby
    Options

i'm determined...but....

Don't get too caught up. It's all a guessing game.
  • Hornsby
    Options

i'm determined...but....

Keep in mind, regardless of how accurate you get with everything, it's still just an estimate. Everything is an estimate. You're going to be over some days, and under other days, even if you hit your numbers 100% of the time.

Don't get bogged down by the details. You need to look at the big picture. Are you still losing weight? Yes? Then don't fret it. If you stop losing weight for an extended period of time, then you should start looking into making changes.

Longer and better explanation than mine^^

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

DAMNIT. No.

I generally use .63 x weight in lbs x miles ran. This gives you the net calories burned (that is, total calories burned above what your basal metabolism burns). I have found that it works better than anything my watch or HRM gives me.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    okay i'm going to leave it be then. Thanks guys, I was starting to worry.

I'm not losing weight because i'm almost at goal annnnnnd running makes me hungry. So whatever.

And wine.

I should switch to whiskey.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories running in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

tvjd17zsp1h9.jpg

I'm 6'2", 225 pounds, and that's pretty close to what I get on a 7 mile run. I'm around 1,200 calories on that distance. I have a hard time believing that you get that burn off a 7 mile run. I'd say you should have been at about 794 calories for that run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    okay i'm going to leave it be then. Thanks guys, I was starting to worry.

I'm not losing weight because i'm almost at goal annnnnnd running makes me hungry. So whatever.

And wine.

I should switch to whiskey.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch Bourbon

taylor_rye.jpg