1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    No I didn't so thanks for pointing me there. It is rare that I have a complete "day off" where I truly have nothing scheduled. Sometimes I might have only a core strength session to do, but more often than not my recovery/rest days still include a small effort of some kind. Like a 45-60 minute ride at 120 watts. Or a 30 minute run at way slower than I am even comfortable running. Or a 45 minute "technique and drills" session in the pool.

This reminds me of an article I read a few years back on "What's the difference between an amateur and a pro." Basically it boiled down to:

Amateurs train hard and they never really let up. On intense days, they go as hard, but on rest days they don't take it easy enough. They're still pushing a little bit. This prevents them from recovering completely, which holds them back when they're trying to push hard. Basically, on a scale from 1 to 10, they go to 7 or 8 on hard days, and then only 3 or 4 on rest day.

A pro, on the other hand, will turn themselves inside out on intense days and will do next to nothing on rest days. This allows full recovery and by pushing themselves so hard when they are pushing, they get much greater results than an amateur would. Using the same scale, on intense days, they hit 9-10, and try to turn it up to 11, and on rest days they do 1-2.

Of course, this is a hell of a lot easier when you actually have a very strong fitness base. When you're first starting out, or if you've even been doing it for a while, it's difficult to ride and put out a minimal effort, and you still haven't reached the point where you can push yourself to the limit regularly.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Indeed. I had to teach myself how to rest. It is not easy for someone who is at this point probably clinically addicted to the endorphin rush after a training session. Recovery efforts and rest days are vital to performance on race day.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.
    I don't believe you need to be paid- or sponsered to be a pro.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

getting paid/sponsored =/= pro.

Isn't that exactly what professional means? You can be an amateur and still be an expert. US Olympic athletes were just this for decades until recently. They would dedicate their lives to their sport but they were not pros. Amateur is not a pejorative.

I don't think so. I know plenty of pro's who shouldn't be... but coming from a very subjective 'sport' or field (as a dancer) professional doesn't mean you're getting paid- plenty of people get paid to do things aren't professionals.

One of the girls I study with- she's the assistant director/manager- she doesn't' get paid- she teachers- but only because she has a wealth of information- but she doesn't' go to paid gigs- and she isn't teaching regularly.

She's still a professional in EVER sense of the word. So yeah- if you're getting paid you're "a professional" but to me even if you aren't top tier- or even not getting paid but it's your life's calling- that's a prof.

Perhaps given that I'm looking from a subject field verses a completely objective one it's a little different- so I would say I have a slightly different colored glass lens through which I few things- our market is flooded with "pro's" who shouldn't be.

Words have meaning. They don't care what they mean "to you." I can say "Well, to me, ham is a dairy product," and I'm not being idiosyncratic or opinionated, I'm being incorrect.

Possibly you are confusing "engaged in a profession" with "acting professionally," which is something different.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    I guess the most important thing I need to know is....
    when my fitbit syncs with mfp and it gives me my calories burned, these numbers are completely incorrect?
    Which leads me to my next question of.... why did I bother getting a fitbit and syncing it to mfp when I can't go by the numbers it's giving me??

Sorry, I'm seriously about to lose the plot :disappointed:

The numbers are probably right on the money within 5%.

Those are NOT calories burned from just exercise though.

Look at yesterday's total daily burn on Fitbit. What was it?
    Look at MFP's Goals tab - Calorie burn from daily activity. What is it?
    And this figure is based on your selection of activity level - Sedentary.

Fitbit - MFP = calorie adjustment.

End of story.

The Fitbit side floats around, the MFP side is static until weight drops, therefore BMR drops, therefore estimated daily calories burned drops.
    But Fitbit would see this same effect as weight drops, because you'll burn less moving around.

What was said was if you increased your activity level to probably a more honest lightly active - MFP would estimate you'd burn more without exercise.

So Fitbit - MFP that is 150 higher = lower calorie adjustment.

Read through this, 2nd section, it'll help understand the math.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

heybales thanks so much for trying to explain. But I just don't understand any of this.
    I think the best bet for me is to NOT eat any of my "exercise" calories, whatever the F they may be, back.
    I'm sitting here in tears right now. I'm just going to keep on doing my 20,000 + steps (10 miles) everyday, and just hope that spending the majority of my waking hours walking is doing something, and what will be will be...

THe problem here is that walking is an exercise and if you are purposefully walking an extra 10miles a day that is extra calories to eat...maybe not all of them but some of them.

You aren't doing that you are eating 1800 gross calories a day and burning on average 1k (give or take) yes you are losing weight but it's muscle and fat because you aren't fueling your muscles...with the extra calories.

I don't use MFP NEAT method and have an activity tracker...I gross 1800 a day (10% from my winter TDEE about to change it to 2k again as summer is here and I have about 2200-2400 TDEE) and have my levels set at lightly active at my first 10k steps are pre exercise steps...any calories you see on my log is extra from exercise but I don't eat them back as I know my maitenance etc.

That's the kicker...how many steps are you getting without purposeful walking? If it's all from your extra walks eat those calories or at least some of them.

Thankyou.
    I tracked my normal daily steps for a week before I started walking purposefully, and the average was between 1,500 and 2,500 on a good day :open_mouth: Yesterday my steps were 25,483 or 18.09 kms (11 miles)

• Christine_72
    Options
    Heybales, I completely get where your coming from with not knowing how the system works! Trust me I feel like a dunce.
    I simply thought i would buy a fit bit ,sync it to mfp and it would giveth or taketh away. It would give me accurate numbers and do the math for me. Simples?? Obviously not so!

I think I've hijacked this thread enough, I'll figure it out. I guess the scales will give an answer and let me know if i'm on the right track or not. Then i can tweak things from there.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok.

I saw your last post... The challenge is no more. I'm a bit disappointed.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    10 miles is the goal I strive for everyday. I'm walking right now and trying to read and type this!
    It's just everything I've been reading on here lately pretty much says don't bother counting walking calories. Then others say definitely add your walking calories!
    And then there's the numbers, and the percentages and the miles per hours mixed with the length of stride and on and on it goes! It doesn't help that I do not have a head for numbers..
    So I think I'll stick with what I said above and just eat my normal calories and completely ignore the adjustments.
    Thankyou all for your help, I truly appreciate the time you've taken :heart: :heart:
    I've been researching this for days and right now I'm just emotionally and physically drained. And obviously feeling sorry for myself to boot

Think of it this way.

MFP made an estimate of what you will burn daily, based on nothing more than your BMR and your selection of activity level - Sedentary.
    Are you Sedentary?
    Then they take a deficit off for eating goal, say 500 calories, to cause 1 lb weekly loss.
    That may be reasonable and keep your body from getting stressed out - if you keep just a 500 cal deficit. (then again even that may not be reasonable at this point)

Fitbit is making a MUCH better estimate of what you burn daily based on your actual activity.
    It is sending that figure to MFP.

MFP is correcting itself to the better estimate, removing the deficit for weight loss, and giving you an adjustment, and adjusting your eating goal.

Eat your goal as given by MFP, which includes the adjustment.

If you don't understand the tools, not sure why you'd think it would be better not to use them as designed.

^^ beautifully put and absolutely agree :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Okay, I'm in...

...for reading this thread...

...but not this "challenge".

Wait. NINE PAGES?!? What have you people been discussing for NINE PAGES?!?

:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Okay, I'm in...

I failed the challenge...

...of reading through all nine pages.

I made it through page three.

:frowning:
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    10 miles is the goal I strive for everyday. I'm walking right now and trying to read and type this!
    It's just everything I've been reading on here lately pretty much says don't bother counting walking calories. Then others say definitely add your walking calories!
    And then there's the numbers, and the percentages and the miles per hours mixed with the length of stride and on and on it goes! It doesn't help that I do not have a head for numbers..
    So I think I'll stick with what I said above and just eat my normal calories and completely ignore the adjustments.
    Thankyou all for your help, I truly appreciate the time you've taken :heart: :heart:
    I've been researching this for days and right now I'm just emotionally and physically drained. And obviously feeling sorry for myself to boot

If you set your MFP profile to sedentary and allow the Fitbit adjustment, you can eat the calories you earnt by moving throughout the day.

• Christine_72
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »

If you set your MFP profile to sedentary and allow the Fitbit adjustment, you can eat the calories you earnt by moving throughout the day.

I upped it to lightly active and allowed negative adjustment yesterday.
    I've got a hell of a lot less extra calories burned than I did yesterday with the same amount of steps, obviously.
    it's all good now. I got over my hissy fit :wink:
  • MackJennings
    Options
    Im down
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay, I'm in...

I failed the challenge...

...of reading through all nine pages.

I made it through page three.

:frowning:

I made it to 9, but I'm retired... curious about the extra calorie burn from all of the rapid eye movement and keyboard scrolling through each page. Shoulda worn my HRM.

Was initially intrigued (run about 40 miles week, bike about 80 miles, do other stuff), but going to pass on this one, as I'm in the running & cycling challenges, and not into exhibiting the level of fitness personal record phallus swinging witnessed herein.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Still ALL in, however Friday's forecast may throw a wrench into my plans...

Saturday, April 11 - 1845 calories (2:02:48 on the singlespeed hot laps stateside)
    Sunday, April 12 - BUST (dang Air France flight was delayed in Detroit making me 3 1/2 hours late to Paris. By the time I caught another flight and got back to Germany, it was too dark to ride. Plenty of calories burned in frustration, but no way Sunday qualified - so reset for Monday.)
    Monday, April 13 - 1289 calories (2:17:22 easy Zone 1/2 road bike ride)
    Tuesday, April 14 - 1500 calories (2:05:41 Zone 2 road bike ride - hit 1000 calories at the 1:26 point)
    Wednesday, April 15 - 1299 calories (2:38:22 Zone 1 road bike leisurely ride)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    For the inevitable injuries:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10137878/follow-up-thread-for-injuries-sustained-from-1-000-calorie-challenge

(Note I didn't say it was inevitable that everyone trying this would sustain an injury...only that if everyone tries this, that there will be injuries is inevitable.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »

I upped it to lightly active and allowed negative adjustment yesterday.
    I've got a hell of a lot less extra calories burned than I did yesterday with the same amount of steps, obviously.
    it's all good now. I got over my hissy fit :wink:

@christinev297 you have now your settings as they should be...no more fretting required :smile:
  • glevinso
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10137878/follow-up-thread-for-injuries-sustained-from-1-000-calorie-challenge

(Note I didn't say it was inevitable that everyone trying this would sustain an injury...only that if everyone tries this, that there will be injuries is inevitable.)

I am honestly kinda surprised that some here are still willing to attempt it even after the discussion around what it actually took to burn 1000/day.

Unless we are talking "fake" 1000 calorie burns like what the OP described.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

I am honestly kinda surprised that some here are still willing to attempt it even after the discussion around what it actually took to burn 1000/day.

I thought you were pointing out that you consistently achieved this? Clearly not for everyone especially if you dont have the time, determination or fitness level. The only bit I dont like is no rest day. Absolutely no need to injure yourself if you take care.
  • glevinso
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I thought you were pointing out that you consistently achieved this? Clearly not for everyone especially if you dont have the time, determination or fitness level. The only bit I dont like is no rest day. Absolutely no need to injure yourself if you take care.

That was my point. It has taken me years to get to the point where I can do what the OP suggests consistently. There are a few others who have posted in this thread that they are in a similar boat. The majority of people who are thinking of attempting this simply *should not* for risk of injury. I laid out what it actually takes to burn that many calories in a day, consistently.

Alternatively - someone capable of actually killing 1000/day through training is likely more worried about how to actually eat enough to maintain weight rather than lose weight which is what I suspect the OP was trying to do.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I'm volunteering to "eat back" the 1,000 calories you've burned on this challenge.