1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• jaquada25
    jaquada25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I burned 628 calories on a stair climber in 26 minutes, so 1000 cals a day is possible!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jaquada25 wrote: »
    Count me in! I burned 628 calories on a stair climber in 26 minutes, so 1000 cals a day is possible!

Not likely
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Not likely

I was wondering if we were going to do this again. LOL.

I just didn't have it in me.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I should stop doing this to myself, but after my ride and run, I am too tired to care. I am just glad it came out as PC as it did!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    3582 calories today....for a 50km race with 4500 ft of elevation gain.

So yeah, that whole '628 for 28 minutes on the stair climber' is totally in the same ballpark.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Not likely

Yeah, same. :smiley:

Just did 30k on the bike and 3k on my feet - and no, I'm not giving my burn number. :tongue:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Not likely

Yeah, same. :smiley:

Just did 30k on the bike and 3k on my feet - and no, I'm not giving my burn number. :tongue:

you suck! :tongue: :wink: I wanna know!!!

• kory1969
    kory1969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cresyluna wrote: »
    Man I wish I had that time, wearing a HRM I usually average around 500cals per hour in the gym, and this week is definitely not going to allow 2 hours each day.

• kory1969
    kory1969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How do you log strength training on MFP??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Personal testing with HRM is easiest to see this effect. I can't say I've seen studies on it - because it's a known effect.

Walk and notice how high the HR gets. That's the HR needed to supply the oxygen needed for that level of effort.

Now run really fast for 1 min, and notice how high the HR gets.
    That's the HR needed for that level of effort.

Now start walking again, and notice how long it takes for HR to lower to the actual level needed for that level of effort.

So that whole time it is lowering, slowly if bad fitness, faster if good fitness, it is actually elevated compared to the level of effort.

Keep in mind it works both ways in terms of over-reporting and under-reporting one's effort based on HR alone. When doing intervals, the HR really lags the effort going from start to finish of the interval. So in shorter duration intervals, the HR doesn't even reach the target zone even though one's effort is pumping it out. Even if I do Zone 4 intervals, the HR lag can be up to 3 minutes before it climbs to the level even though I am pegged in the proper zone in the very first few seconds of the interval in terms of effort. The HR lag - in this case - means that the calorie burn is being under-reported.

In other words, it all works out to a wash in the end on both sides of an interval.

Very true on lag time, but for average person doing that test it won't be that slow going up.

Do you have a Garmin where you have per second records of HR?

It's interesting to see the difference in lag time going up and coming down. Mine is not a wash by a long shot.

But it can at least help it out.

The other issue even outside of intervals is the overshoot you might say where the HR goes slightly higher than effort needs, because after 1-3 min the HR lowers down by some bpm, depending on fitness level.
    So those workouts that are just constantly changing never lets the HR settle where it really needs to be.
    That could end up being a big effect depending on workout done.

As well as cardiac drift. Just doing a steady effort for 60 min will usually show an increase in HR though the intensity is exactly the same.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    kory1969 wrote: »
    How do you log strength training on MFP??

It's in the database as exactly that - Strength Training.

It's not nearly the calorie burn as say cardio would provide, but that is true.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    3582 calories today....for a 50km race with 4500 ft of elevation gain.

So yeah, that whole '628 for 28 minutes on the stair climber' is totally in the same ballpark.

[numbers crunching]

yeah, at the stair climber burn that's 2:36. Which is what, halfway in the 50km?

CASE CLOSED FOLKS, hang up your running shoes, back onto the stairmaster, it's twice as hard efficient as running up hills...with an HRM....and a GPS...on a timed course.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Closing out the week. 8580. I feel pretty gassed. But next week is another week and I am sure I'll cross 8000 again.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Looking back over the week...

1800 burned running
    3000 burned cycling

Didn't quite make it on 16km running and 65km cycling.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I failed my long run today. Only made it 12 miles of the planned 15. I was supposed to be running at 7:40ish pace but my legs weren't having anything of the sort today and I barely could squeeze out 8:30s. I gave up when I looped back to my car and wasn't even hitting 9:30.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I am succeeding in sitting on my couch. Maybe I will take a slow recovery jog/walk later. Only made it about 5000 cals burned for the week. Such a failure.
  • ashleeadodd
    ashleeadodd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line here is that she would like support for her challenge.

She never said that it was a "burn 1000 calories in an hour challenge", or anthing like that.

Support her, or move on to another thread.

---I hope you hit 1000 each day!---
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line here is that she would like support for her challenge.

She never said that it was a "burn 1000 calories in an hour challenge", or anthing like that.

Support her, or move on to another thread.

---I hope you hit 1000 each day!---

so you haven't read the 14 pages I assume?
  • glevinso
    Options
    8580 calories for the week broke down as such:

7150 yards in the pool (2 hrs total)
    129 miles on the bike (7 hrs)
    30 miles running (4 hrs)

Also an hour of strength training (20 minutes of core work 3 times), and an hour of yoga which didn't I didn't figure into the calorie count. Put me just over 15hrs.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm 150 lbs and about 25 lbs overweight. I burn up to 1000 calories or more easily in about 2 hours of very strenuous session of HIIT+strength training, but there's no way I would be able to do it everyday. I need a break of one or two days afterwards. Good luck with your 1000 per day burn challenge OP. You'll need it!