1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just to add to this hijacked thread but in support of the OP, my Garmin HRM strap reports around 1000 cal burn for mountain biking and not much less for "road" biking in one hour for my inputs (+200lb 5'6" male). I have used Endomondo, Garmin and other apps--all are similar as well as online calculators. I eat back my calories and have been losing 2lbs + /week for the past 4 weeks. A few year ago, I saw similar results over a six month period.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    I was in a road race this past Saturday. Only a 33 mile ride in 1:40, but I got a 1400 calorie burn out of it (as calculated by my power meter so I believe it). I was averaging 235 watts for the entire 1:40

I stuck in the middle of a 25 person group for 45 miles.... My wattage was lower than yours. Only at 100 average for the ride. I only had 80 miles this year before those 50 so I wasn't pushing it too much plus it was raining for 60% of the ride, hence the relatively slow time.

Yea I would have loved to stay with the peloton but the wind conspired against me and blew me out of the pack early. If I had stayed with the bunch I can bet my wattage would be much lower and I wouldn't have had such a miserable time trying to time-trial my way back to the group
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I was in a road race this past Saturday. Only a 33 mile ride in 1:40, but I got a 1400 calorie burn out of it (as calculated by my power meter so I believe it). I was averaging 235 watts for the entire 1:40

33 miles for a road race is a sprint!
  • glevinso
    Options

33 miles for a road race is a sprint!

It was a short ride for me, but a massive effort due to being hung out there all alone off the back of the pack :)

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No freaking way. No sense in this.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow! People do need to be told if they're calculating something wrong (for their own benefit), but I don't think they need to be patronised. Some of these comments are a bit mean and, well, just unnecessary.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW... based on what I've read, 10 cals per minute is generally accepted as the max rate at which most people (i.e. not elite athletes) can sustain for any meaningful amount of time. That means 600 cals per 60 minute workout.

Just food for thought.
  • jennifermay9619
    jennifermay9619 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My two cents probably won't mean anything but I just want to say that I am a postal worker and I walk an average of about 14 miles per day, I can burn roughly 1920 calories during that time but we are walking (and not a slow walk I might add) for an rougly anywhere from 5 - 7 hours. I would think to burn 1000 calories you would need to be working out for a good 3 hours at the gym.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Secondarily... I think the spirit of this post is good even if the metrics might be off a bit for many. Getting in good workouts and big burns is a good thing... don't worry so much about the numbers.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    FWIW... based on what I've read, 10 cals per minute is generally accepted as the max rate at which most people (i.e. not elite athletes) can sustain for any meaningful amount of time. That means 600 cals per 60 minute workout.

Just food for thought.

Yup, if I don't have a heart rate monitor or anything, I use 5 cals per minute to be safe. 6 if I really pushed it.
  • KKJackson91
    KKJackson91 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just forget it. Sorry I even posted the challenge. I don't need all the math. I've been losing just fine doing it simply so you guys have fun debating your math and whether or not this is possible, because I've done it. Laters.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Don't you know you are not allowed to have fun on these forums?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT in! it takes me around 3 hrs of running to burn that, did it a few weeks ago for 5 days and ended up needing to fuel my extra workouts with much more food and gained!...so no, I'll stick to my usual 500 cal/day burn. Wishing you all the best though :smile:
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Just forget it. Sorry I even posted the challenge. I don't need all the math. I've been losing just fine doing it simply so you guys have fun debating your math and whether or not this is possible, because I've done it. Laters.

5d5.gif
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one hour.

FIFY.

Commuting to and from work via bicycle (average 1 hour 15 minutes each way) easily burns over 1000 calories.

Some people exercise for 4+ hours on the weekend. This results in 2000+ calorie burns.
  • Hornsby
    Options

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

• Hornsby
    Options

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one hour.

FIFY.

Commuting to and from work via bicycle (average 1 hour 15 minutes each way) easily burns over 1000 calories.

Some people exercise for 4+ hours on the weekend. This results in 2000+ calorie burns.
    You beat me to it :)
  • glevinso
    Options

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

Let's not quite go there. I get pretty close to 1000 most weekdays (sometimes over), and weekends easily 2000 each day. Granted I am not "average" I guess. However what I do to cause that would probably kill most people.

However the OP's assertion that an hour of mixed walking and jogging burns 1000 is certainly way off the mark. Unless she is over 400lbs that level of burn is unlikely with the stated light exercise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    1000 exercise calories per day? I'm sure there are days when I do yard/garden work all day that I might manage that, but with a desk job I don't think I could do it for 7 days straight.

I think my daily burns from exercise are more like 300-350.