1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Also, you posted in an open, public forum on the internet. That's an invitation for every single person in the world to share their opinion. If you don't want to receive an opinion you disagree with, do not post anything.

An invitation? No, it's not an invitation. People do it, though... sometimes in an attempt to help, sometimes just to be an *kitten*, but usually somewhere in between.

This thread has become more about being right and piling on than it is about a challenge to push yourself for 7 consecutive days.

fo·rum
    ˈfôrəm
    noun
    noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora
    1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

pub·lic
    ˈpəblik/Submit
    adjective
    1. of or concerning the people as a whole.

Those are the definitions of the two words "public forum." This is a public forum, therefore, by definition, this is a medium concerning the people as a whole where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

It doesn't say anything about "your views must be 'X' or 'Y' and have to agree with the original post." If that were the case, it wouldn't be public, now would it?

Anyway, I didn't mean to say "Oh, don't workout. Don't try to do anything for 7 days. You'll kill yourself." That wasn't my message at all. What I was meaning to say, although lacking tact, because life is too short to be politically correct, is that someone who isn't accustomed to doing a high level of activity should not be trying to do a high level of activity because it will likely result in injury. Work your way up slowly and one day you'll get there.

Wait.

I didn't say "don't workout, you'll kill yourself," and I did say "work up to it slowly."

What part of my message was bad for this thread? I'm confused now.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. Letter of the law allows you to be a dick... spirit is the law suggests you know when to take the high road.

This is clearly a letter of the law post and thread.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym

In the spirit of the OP, you can greatly enhance the kitchen weight loss through exercise. Endurance athletes do it almost every year during their base building cycle following the off season. Kitchen weight loss combined with exercise weight loss (CICO). Lots of bang for the buck to pound out 12-20 hours a week on the bike or running to cut weight.

If it works and isn't broken, don't fix it. :-)

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I-like-where-this-thread-is-going-20886067270.jpeg

I mean, unless you want to log 60 minutes of run/walk as "1000 cals". That's doable for 7 days. Its not correct, but [shrug]. Might as well call 45 minutes of zumba 1000 cals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

It's relatively easy to burn 1000 calories in one day ... just takes time.

Burning 1000 calories in 1 hour, on the other hand ... and especially doing an activity that includes walking ... is a little far-fetched.

If a person wants to do this challenge ... put in at least a couple hours to make it seem a bit more realistic.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.
    I don't believe you need to be paid- or sponsered to be a pro.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

getting paid/sponsored =/= pro.

Isn't that exactly what professional means? You can be an amateur and still be an expert. US Olympic athletes were just this for decades until recently. They would dedicate their lives to their sport but they were not pros. Amateur is not a pejorative.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I walk 25,000 steps I can burn 1000 calories. But it literally takes me all morning, afternoon and night to get there..
    I work from home so it's doable. No way could I do it if I had an outside full time job.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I walk 25,000 steps I can burn 1000 calories. But it literally takes me all morning, afternoon and night to get there..
    I work from home so it's doable. No way could I do it if I had an outside full time job.

Not exactly.
    You have MFP set to sedentary. You aren't sedentary. So they adjust your calorie goal by 1000 calories.
    If you had chosen lightly active and walked 25,000 steps in a day your calorie adjustment would not be 1000 calories.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Not exactly.
    You have MFP set to sedentary. You aren't sedentary. So they adjust your calorie goal by 1000 calories.
    If you had chosen lightly active and walked 25,000 steps in a day your calorie adjustment would not be 1000 calories.

yeah I'm set at sedentary. What would you suggest?
    I honestly don't know what to believe or which numbers to follow any more :explode:

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Yes, but those are the last people I'd expect to see on MFP. Those are the elite of the elite. They are in a class of their own and may not even be considered human.

There are other issues as well.

Women out for a walk in the 1940's...

17136522212_5b3d3d3a52_z.jpg1940s-fashion

Far too many women of the 2010's...

16950555650_82f2158614_z.jpgfnspy03

Same could be said for men.

I get your point, but comparing women of today to women in an era of post-war food rationing is a straw man argument.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I guess the most important thing I need to know is....
    when my fitbit syncs with mfp and it gives me my calories burned, these numbers are completely incorrect?
    Which leads me to my next question of.... why did I bother getting a fitbit and syncing it to mfp when I can't go by the numbers it's giving me??

Sorry, I'm seriously about to lose the plot :disappointed:

• 3dogsrunning
    edited April 2015
    Options

Not exactly.

I honestly don't know what to believe or which numbers to follow any more :explode:

You don't have to change your numbers, your fitbit does that for you. But you aren't sedentary so you get a large adjustment. That was the point.
    It was a silly point, just forget I mentioned it. Have you had success? If so, keep doing what you are doing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

Isn't that exactly what professional means? You can be an amateur and still be an expert. US Olympic athletes were just this for decades until recently. They would dedicate their lives to their sport but they were not pros. Amateur is not a pejorative.

I don't think so. I know plenty of pro's who shouldn't be... but coming from a very subjective 'sport' or field (as a dancer) professional doesn't mean you're getting paid- plenty of people get paid to do things aren't professionals.

One of the girls I study with- she's the assistant director/manager- she doesn't' get paid- she teachers- but only because she has a wealth of information- but she doesn't' go to paid gigs- and she isn't teaching regularly.

She's still a professional in EVER sense of the word. So yeah- if you're getting paid you're "a professional" but to me even if you aren't top tier- or even not getting paid but it's your life's calling- that's a prof.

Perhaps given that I'm looking from a subject field verses a completely objective one it's a little different- so I would say I have a slightly different colored glass lens through which I few things- our market is flooded with "pro's" who shouldn't be.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Not exactly.

You don't have to change your numbers, your fitbit does that for you. But you aren't sedentary so you get a large adjustment. That was the point.
    It was a silly point, just forget I mentioned it. Have you had success? If so, keep doing what you are doing.

No, I appreciate any help you can give me. I've only been seriously walking for a couple of weeks, so a bit early to see results.

My husband thinks I'm having an affair because I've been out walking so many times!! Lol

I just need this to be worth it. I guess I would like to know what is the point of fitness trackers and mfp if the numbers they give us can't be trusted.

Like I said, I'm brand new to exercising and have zero knowledge on numbers and burns etc etc
    The more I read on here, the more disheartened I'm getting....

• ChiliBeans
    ChiliBeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just forget it. Sorry I even posted the challenge. I don't need all the math. I've been losing just fine doing it simply so you guys have fun debating your math and whether or not this is possible, because I've done it. Laters.
    This is all that matters. You are losing weight! Who cares what everyone is saying. I burn 400 calories by doing intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes. But my boyfriend burns 500 in 30 so I believe you can get to 1000.
    I lost for today with 1000. I was too tired to go to both Zumba classes l, but will still go for a run and there is always tomorrow ! Good luck to you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ChiliBeans wrote: »
    Just forget it. Sorry I even posted the challenge. I don't need all the math. I've been losing just fine doing it simply so you guys have fun debating your math and whether or not this is possible, because I've done it. Laters.
    This is all that matters. You are losing weight! Who cares what everyone is saying. I burn 400 calories by doing intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes. But my boyfriend burns 500 in 30 so I believe you can get to 1000.
    I lost for today with 1000. I was too tired to go to both Zumba classes l, but will still go for a run and there is always tomorrow ! Good luck to you!

who cares?

OP will care when she keeps logging over 1000 calorie burns that probably are inaccurate and then wonders why she isn't losing weight when she's over eating b/c she thinks she's burning way more than she is- and then comes on here and goes "why am I not losing weight?"

that's why "who cares"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, so just to get this straight - the challenge is to eat 1000 calories more daily than maintenance for a whole week?

Was that it?
  • heybales
    Options
    I guess the most important thing I need to know is....
    when my fitbit syncs with mfp and it gives me my calories burned, these numbers are completely incorrect?
    Which leads me to my next question of.... why did I bother getting a fitbit and syncing it to mfp when I can't go by the numbers it's giving me??

Sorry, I'm seriously about to lose the plot :disappointed:

The numbers are probably right on the money within 5%.

Those are NOT calories burned from just exercise though.

Look at yesterday's total daily burn on Fitbit. What was it?
    Look at MFP's Goals tab - Calorie burn from daily activity. What is it?
    And this figure is based on your selection of activity level - Sedentary.

Fitbit - MFP = calorie adjustment.

End of story.

The Fitbit side floats around, the MFP side is static until weight drops, therefore BMR drops, therefore estimated daily calories burned drops.
    But Fitbit would see this same effect as weight drops, because you'll burn less moving around.

What was said was if you increased your activity level to probably a more honest lightly active - MFP would estimate you'd burn more without exercise.

So Fitbit - MFP that is 150 higher = lower calorie adjustment.

Read through this, 2nd section, it'll help understand the math.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

• heybales
    Options
    ChiliBeans wrote: »

who cares?

OP will care when she keeps logging over 1000 calorie burns that probably are inaccurate and then wonders why she isn't losing weight when she's over eating b/c she thinks she's burning way more than she is- and then comes on here and goes "why am I not losing weight?"

that's why "who cares"

She commented she was doing this because weight loss had already stopped.

Dollars to donuts she isn't going to eat back anything.

So a likely poor food logging side of the equation eating more than thought combined with exercising with calorie burns smaller than thought will likely lead to some weight loss like it did the first time this was done.
    Thereby cementing in experience that this method really works well.

That way when it's done again, as this seems to be a repeat already, it'll work again.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    meh.

I don't think so. I know plenty of pro's who shouldn't be... but coming from a very subjective 'sport' or field (as a dancer) professional doesn't mean you're getting paid- plenty of people get paid to do things aren't professionals.

One of the girls I study with- she's the assistant director/manager- she doesn't' get paid- she teachers- but only because she has a wealth of information- but she doesn't' go to paid gigs- and she isn't teaching regularly.

She's still a professional in EVER sense of the word. So yeah- if you're getting paid you're "a professional" but to me even if you aren't top tier- or even not getting paid but it's your life's calling- that's a prof.

Perhaps given that I'm looking from a subject field verses a completely objective one it's a little different- so I would say I have a slightly different colored glass lens through which I few things- our market is flooded with "pro's" who shouldn't be.

Triathlon isn't really a subjective sport. There are very specific requirements for becoming a "professional" triathlete.

(all due respect to Glevinso, I really have no idea where he may fall within the rankings, just discussing the topic, not his performance).