5 week estimate/ if every day were like today

Options
Does anyone know how accurate the estimate for how much you would weigh in five weeks is?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never had it been accurate yet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Very inaccurate
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it's crap because there are too many variables. It is particularly bad for me as I only log weight every 90 days because I get discouraged by the scale. On the other hand, it is simple math and the calculations would be spot on in a static environment.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I tracked it for a while, writing it in my calendar and it proved quite accurate when averaging it over weekly fluctuations
  • SecretGift
    SecretGift Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Does it over exaggerate weight loss or under exaggerate? I'm trying to lose a specific amount each month.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    it's crap because there are too many variables. It is particularly bad for me as I only log weight every 90 days because I get discouraged by the scale. On the other hand, it is simple math and the calculations would be spot on in a static environment.

This. What you've eaten for the past several days will affect where you are today. For example, your sodium and carb intake may be causing you to hold onto water weight. Your workouts will be affecting you as well. Did you hit the weights extra hard? Extra water weight. You haven't been working out but are going to start today? You'll probably weight a bit more tomorrow. Bathroom issues? Different points in your monthly cycle? Again, it all affects where you are each day. So if all of those other variables were exactly the same each day for 35 days straight, the prediction *might* be right. But it also might not because the calorie burn that MFP calculates is a best estimate, not an exact science.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I tracked it for a while, writing it in my calendar and it proved quite accurate when averaging it over weekly fluctuations

*shuffles out of thread backwards...never mind, nothing to see here*
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

OMG woman!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    SecretGift wrote: »
    Does it over exaggerate weight loss or under exaggerate? I'm trying to lose a specific amount each month.

under
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I never thought to try that!~ :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That's impossible to say. Everybody is different. You might have somebody like @rabbitjb who finds it accurate but most people you talk to are not going to find that it is.

In my experience, trying to lose a specific amount each month is an exercise in futility. You can set things up perfectly for it but it might not happen. How are you going to handle it if you don't make your time goals?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

OMG woman!

*giggle* just when you think I've left...da-DAH!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's not accurate, but my prediction on Libra has been pretty accurate so far.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its as accurate as your log is. Unfortunately we're human and even with the best efforts there are bound to be errors in either calories in or calories out. Especially considering calories out are estimated based on established formulas for the average person which may or may not be highly accurate for a specific individual.
    Does anyone know how accurate the estimate for how much you would weigh in five weeks is?

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Define accurate. If you have correctly recorded what you ate and you have correctly recorded calories burned, then it will accurately tell you how much you will lose from the deficit multiplied by five weeks. But no one correctly records what they've eaten and no one has an exact number on calories burned.

The real value of that number is that it gives you a way to comprehend your calorie deficit more easily. You may know that you were 200 calories over your goal, but that doesn't mean much. But if the tool tells you that instead of losing five pounds in five weeks you will only lose three pounds, it puts it in a better perspective and will hopefully encourage you to do better tomorrow.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't like it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Never even come close to losing as much as it thinks I should - which made me cry last night when I was under calories and it said I'd lose pretty much nothing in the next 5 weeks.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It does say "if every day were like today"... My days are never exactly the same. I eat differently and my workouts change. I found the projection motivating at first, but the number kept changing and it didn't make any sense.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I've always ignored it, assuming it wasn't accurate. Now I'm curious.