I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• r_rana7
    r_rana7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have begun the novice ICF 5x5 programme 4 weeks ago, making steady progress on all the exercises so far. I am eating at a calorie surplus of 200 calories, measuring my food etc on digital scales and tracking it on MFP every day. I ensure I am hitting my macro goals and hit my TDEE at least and usually hit my surplus most days.

My stats are 180 cm, current weight is 73.7kg.

Overall I am not looking to lose or gain weight particularly, I am looking to increase muscle and by definition also then lose fat.

I plan to 'bulk' for 3 months with 200 calorie surplus and then 'cut' at a 200 calorie deficit for 2 months. And continue that cycle if effective for at least 12 months.

With your expertise and first hand experience, would you say I'm on the right path?

love reading your posts, absolute legend
  • joeseph166
    joeseph166 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    did you have the excess skin problem ? how did you deal with it ?
  • kmahent
    kmahent Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your success. :)
  • blessingsldc
    blessingsldc Posts: 6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What are your workouts like? I'm doing 3-4 days of work outs treadmill and elliptical
  • paddlingmadeline
    Options
    orangbatak wrote: »
    For the first 3 months, how many calories were you consuming a day?

During the same time for fitness, did you focus more on cardio or resistance?

Any issue with loose skin? Did you get surgery done?

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    r_rana7 wrote: »
    I have begun the novice ICF 5x5 programme 4 weeks ago, making steady progress on all the exercises so far. I am eating at a calorie surplus of 200 calories, measuring my food etc on digital scales and tracking it on MFP every day. I ensure I am hitting my macro goals and hit my TDEE at least and usually hit my surplus most days.

My stats are 180 cm, current weight is 73.7kg.

Overall I am not looking to lose or gain weight particularly, I am looking to increase muscle and by definition also then lose fat.

I plan to 'bulk' for 3 months with 200 calorie surplus and then 'cut' at a 200 calorie deficit for 2 months. And continue that cycle if effective for at least 12 months.

With your expertise and first hand experience, would you say I'm on the right path?

love reading your posts, absolute legend
    While bulking on 200 calories is appropriate, because you want the surplus small to avoid fat gains, cutting on a 200 calorie deficit is too conservative. I usually recommend people start with a 500 calorie deficit and adjust based on results. A 200 calorie deficit will only net around 1 lb lost every 3.5 weeks. That's pretty slow.
    joeseph166 wrote: »
    did you have the excess skin problem ? how did you deal with it ?
    Read back a few pages. I've answered this question probably 5 times and posted a video on the topic within this thread.
    What are your workouts like? I'm doing 3-4 days of work outs treadmill and elliptical
    I am currently doing Jonnie Candito's 6 week strength training program.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hard work pays off, you're proof of that. Good job!
  • vegaschick82
    vegaschick82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Nice work.

Just starting on the same journey with the same weight to lose. Lose skin is the thing I dread the most. It will be such a turn off to have it hanging there.

I'm doing cardio and resistance bands for the weights. Trying to lose and tone at the same time. Fingers crossed.
    Toning doesn't exist. You cannot tone a muscle. Muscles can do 2 things, get bigger or get smaller. The toned look is achieved by having a moderate muscular base with low body fat. My advice to you would be drop resistance band training for a dumbbell/barbell routine. As for loose skin, sometimes there's no way to prevent it. It will get better with time. Its 10x better/healthier to have loose skin and be fit then be fat IMO

Thank you. You just covered a very important subject for me. Now I know there's no such thing as toning which is what I want to do. And weight lifting is better than resistance bands. I will keep this in mind and will start lifting. You look super great and hopefully I can do the same :)
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have worked so hard, amazing transformation :)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hi Vismal - thanks for all the wisdom. I really like your notes on the IIFIYM technique...but do you have any thoughts "Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It", where in part he says the below (the part that confuses me is that he seems to be saying we should all go super low carb....but that isn't in keeping w/ IIFYM right...ie, you say that other than needing a minimum level of Fats and Protein, the rest can be anything .... so basically calories in vs calories out?):

“Of all the dangerous ideas that health officials could have embraced while trying to understand why we get fat, they would have been hard-pressed to find one ultimately more damaging than calories-in/calories-out. That it reinforces what appears to be so obvious - obesity as the penalty for gluttony and sloth - is what makes it so alluring. But it's misleading and misconceived on so many levels that it's hard to imagine how it survived unscathed and virtually unchallenged for the last fifty years.

It has done incalculable harm. Not only is this thinking at least partly responsible for the ever-growing numbers of obese and overweight in the world - while directing attention away from the real reasons we get fat - but it has served to reinforce the perception that those who get fat have no one to blame but themselves. That eating less invariably fails as a cure for obesity is rarely perceived as the single most important reason to make us question our assumptions, as Hilde Bruch suggested half a century ago. Rather, it is taken as still more evidence that the overweight and obese are incapable of following a diet and eating in moderation. And it put the blame for their physical condition squarely on their behavior, which couldn't be further from the truth.”
    ― Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Did you clean up your diet entirely? Meaning do you ever eat pizza or ice cream? Is it a super strict diet or are you pretty balanced and flexible?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    rocket_ace wrote: »
    hi Vismal - thanks for all the wisdom. I really like your notes on the IIFIYM technique...but do you have any thoughts "Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It", where in part he says the below (the part that confuses me is that he seems to be saying we should all go super low carb....but that isn't in keeping w/ IIFYM right...ie, you say that other than needing a minimum level of Fats and Protein, the rest can be anything .... so basically calories in vs calories out?):

“Of all the dangerous ideas that health officials could have embraced while trying to understand why we get fat, they would have been hard-pressed to find one ultimately more damaging than calories-in/calories-out. That it reinforces what appears to be so obvious - obesity as the penalty for gluttony and sloth - is what makes it so alluring. But it's misleading and misconceived on so many levels that it's hard to imagine how it survived unscathed and virtually unchallenged for the last fifty years.

It has done incalculable harm. Not only is this thinking at least partly responsible for the ever-growing numbers of obese and overweight in the world - while directing attention away from the real reasons we get fat - but it has served to reinforce the perception that those who get fat have no one to blame but themselves. That eating less invariably fails as a cure for obesity is rarely perceived as the single most important reason to make us question our assumptions, as Hilde Bruch suggested half a century ago. Rather, it is taken as still more evidence that the overweight and obese are incapable of following a diet and eating in moderation. And it put the blame for their physical condition squarely on their behavior, which couldn't be further from the truth.”
    ― Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
    Taubes is wrong. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. He says that calories in vs calories out (CICO) is not why people are obese. It is. It absolutely is. People are eating more (calories) and moving less than any other time in history. Taubes like to point to food choices as the culprit. He is very anti sugar. Now don't get me wrong, certain foods are created to make you overeat. Foods today are hyper-palatable. A serving size of Dorritos is 11 chips, yet the food is designed to make you want to eat much more than that. There are countless other examples. Delicious, high calorie, and not very high in "nutrition". One could say these foods are "to blame" and they are partly right. It doesn't negate calories in vs calories out though. This is where Taubes is wrong. It goes right along with CICO.

Mindlessly eating tons of high sugar, minimally nutritious, foods is a very easy way to let calories in get out of hand. Combine that with an all to common desk job and you have a recipe for obesity. Food choices will always matter, but they only matter in the context of CICO. If you have the discipline to actually portion out Dorritos, weigh them on a scale, and eat few enough of them to fit your calorie goals, they are not going to be a problem. You can do this with any high calorie, minimally nutritious food. After you do this long enough you learn a few things. The most important is that those minimally nutritious foods need to be a minority of your diet and things like lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains need to dominate your diet. Why? It's the only way to stay full! Now 11 dorritos for 150 calories might be something I can work in to my diet, but if hunger is an issue, are 11 dorritos or a full lb of broccoli (also 150 calories) going to be the best choice. This is where IIFYM shines. Anyone who achieves long term success with it will eventually realize that the majority of your diet must come from minimally processed, whole, foods. If it doesn't, you will probably be too hungry to adhere to the diet in the first place.
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    Did you clean up your diet entirely? Meaning do you ever eat pizza or ice cream? Is it a super strict diet or are you pretty balanced and flexible?
    There are no foods I do not eat. I will work in what I want in moderation on a daily basis.

• Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

Excellent answers! Love this whole thread btw :) Congratulations on your success and great job for sticking to it and having such dedication!
  • Mophead72
    Mophead72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looking amazing I've been using MFP for 8 months lost four stone , gained 7 pounds back as got fed up of staying the same
    Wow your weight loss not only that more to your fitness levels I want to start running training because I now think it's so much more to keep fit

How do you keep motivated and Amy tips on diet please
  • summerlucky76
    summerlucky76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am ready for a book, with all of this info in one place. I have read this entire thread and watched some of your videos. It's on point and I love reading your replies to questions here. Congratulations on all of your success!
  • valcala23
    valcala23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

What were your workouts like? How many minutes did you run?
  • siuvai
    siuvai Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Question.. As a women starting my weight loss journey. I want to get toned I'm 244 lbs would it be wise for a women to do the 5X5 PROGRAM? I do not want to bulk up from lifting weight but also do not want hangy skin..
  • nicolebabcock95
    Options
    That's great, I have been trying to live a healthier life style myself. I quit drinking pop about a month ago and that huge for me considering that was the only thing I drank. I finally signed up for the gym been doing 30 min cardo and about 30 min weights. I feel like I'm not getting results as of yet but I know it takes time any suggestions you can give me to help me get the results I want?
  • ThePeacefulWarrior
    ThePeacefulWarrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Woooa im impressed and amazed by your transfomation and hard work you put on. You have my highest respect and gratitude
  • lady_beastmode
    lady_beastmode Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please add me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!