People who weigh food, how frequently do you use yours during the day?

Options

Replies

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I spent $50 CAD. I've had it for two years. The last 5 months I've been pressing buttons 20x a day plus, and have changed one of the two CR batteries once in that time. My parents have the same scale for many years more than I have.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Am I just weighing food too frequently? Do I keep buying crappy brands? Does Canada get all the reject scales?
    I think we do get the rejects! I change batteries almost every three weeks (4xAA Eneloop 2100mah rechargeables)

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Am I just weighing food too frequently? Do I keep buying crappy brands? Does Canada get all the reject scales?
    I think we do get the rejects! I change batteries almost every three weeks (4xAA Eneloop 2100mah rechargeables)

UGH.At least one of mine is made in China too, maybe that's why. I think I might actually just order one from Amazon.COM and see if that's better.
  • ana3067
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Every day. Except on vacation.

What brand? Wanna trade?

Trust me, you don't want my scale. We use this scale she got from her Weight Watchers days. It does exactly what we need it to do so I kept it around. Everything we weigh something either a piece of aluminum foil or plastic wrap goes on top son it stays clean. It even had the original dumb plastic on it with the instructions we never peeled off.

do the batteries die every 3 weeks???? Damn Canadians being given the scraps :(
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I use mine between 5-10x a day. I have to change the CR battery every month, pretty much. It's an Ozeri and I love it. I just wish it didn't run through so many batteries (it actually uses two at a time). On the other hand, two dollars a month isn't crazy expensive, just annoying.

Only 2 bucks? It's like 6 bucks to buy a 3-pack of those... and I seem to have to replace the batteries every ~3 weeks once the batteries die the first time!

Ana, you can get a 3 pack of those batteries at the checkout of Bed Bath and Beyond for $5 CDN, even cheaper if you use a 20% off competitor's coupon lol
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I killed one once. But that's because I got a new glass top stove and accidentally set it on a hot burner that no longer appeared hot. Oops.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I bought this scale 18 months ago at Walmart. It's $18.97 and is a workhorse. I weigh everything and since I make a lot of meals from scratch and weigh ingredients, I probably use it 15-20 times per day. This one uses 3 AAA batteries and I replaced them just a little over a year of use. Weighs in grams which is my preferred measurement. Works great for weighing letters for postage, too ;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Professional-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale/38241740
  • ana3067
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I killed one once. But that's because I got a new glass top stove and accidentally set it on a hot burner that no longer appeared hot. Oops.

LOL.
    I use mine between 5-10x a day. I have to change the CR battery every month, pretty much. It's an Ozeri and I love it. I just wish it didn't run through so many batteries (it actually uses two at a time). On the other hand, two dollars a month isn't crazy expensive, just annoying.

Only 2 bucks? It's like 6 bucks to buy a 3-pack of those... and I seem to have to replace the batteries every ~3 weeks once the batteries die the first time!

Ana, you can get a 3 pack of those batteries at the checkout of Bed Bath and Beyond for $5 CDN, even cheaper if you use a 20% off competitor's coupon lol

Still seems kinda $$ :(

Maybe I'll check out Walmart for scales haha.

ALSO my Taylor (newest one) will turn on SOMETIMES. So I wonder if maybe it's damaged, not just batteries....
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Salter is the brand to go with.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've weighed multiple times a day for the last few months but have owned the scale for over two years (weighing a few times weekly before I began getting serious about logging). I haven't had to replace the battery yet. It's an Escali.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007GAWRS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1428950701&sr=8-1&keywords=escali+scales&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41jPvfeaD4L&ref=plSrch
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I got a Nutribalance scale that has lasted me months. Maybe because it auto-offs after like 10 seconds. I only weigh bulk foods with it, but that can be like 8 things a day.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Salter is the brand to go with.

It's one of the ones I own that dies within 3 weeks :p
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bought a postage scale at the post office years ago (when my kid was in the Peace Corps and I had to weigh packages to send). I use it now to weigh food. But it plugs in and sits on my kitchen counter -- no batteries ever.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty basic Starfrit that was a gift from my dad Christmas 2013 and I've never changed the battery. It gets used several times a day but I tend to weigh everything that needs weighing all at once (per meal) and I'm diligent about shutting it off right away.

My SO occasionally uses it when he's making a recipe where quantities are expressed by weight. He is less diligent about shutting it off right away, lol.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had two die on me, now I have two working ones still, but I have to replace the batteries every 5 months maybe? I use one of them all the time, the other just at dinner time.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and purchased mine off of ebay and it came from China. Cost me $4. I have had it over a year and changed the batteries once and I use it multiple times a day. I would say it's whatever brand you are buying.
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I live in Canada and purchased mine off of ebay and it came from China. Cost me $4. I have had it over a year and changed the batteries once and I use it multiple times a day. I would say it's whatever brand you are buying.

Salter, Taylor (heard bad things from others about this one) and Starfrit. GAH.

@Francl27 what brands are you using now?

I think I need a plug-in scale lol. I might look into postage scales tbh. Also I reaaally want to try that American Weigh one but too $$ to order from Canada. Someone send me one as a graduation gift <3
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Salter, Taylor (heard bad things from others about this one) and Starfrit. GAH.

Maybe it's the batteries? lol man i don't know, that's just crazy. Or maybe I am just lucky with the one I got lol
    Seriously check out ebay, sometimes things from China take a lot longer to come, I think I waited a couple months for mine, but it's worth paying substantially lower!