I'm gaining at 1300 :(

Options

Replies

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    *unsubscribe*

I swear people create threads like this as flame bait...

In fact, the phrases "metabolic slowdown" "metabolic damage" "starvation mode" are guaranteed to start an argument.

*hatches evil plan*

;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    darien13 wrote: »
    Everyone saying I didn't count it right: I'm obsessed with calorie counting I literally know the calories of everything. I only drink water, I watch portion sizes and won't eat anything I don't know the calories of. I think it's because of when I lost 15 pounds, 113 to 98, now it's 104, I didn't eat enough. I think it's water weight maybe. But seriously I don't count it wrong.

Are you avoiding the ED question on purpose? I'm not judging you. Trust me, I have been there. But, I do hope that you are working with someone to get better.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 500 to 800 calories a day so my metabolism slowed down I guess :(

You need to seek help from an eating disorder therapist.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Everyone saying I didn't count it right: I'm obsessed with calorie counting I literally know the calories of everything. I only drink water, I watch portion sizes and won't eat anything I don't know the calories of. I think it's because of when I lost 15 pounds, 113 to 98, now it's 104, I didn't eat enough. I think it's water weight maybe. But seriously I don't count it wrong.

Where do you want to be? How much do you want to weigh? And why? Are you some sort of athlete?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    You are probably eating more than you think. You are underweight though...perhaps it should not be a huge concern?
    PRMinx wrote: »
    A 20 year old at 5'4 and 104 pounds should not be so concerned with gaining weight. You are underweight. Please see a medical and or psychological professional. My ED spidey sense is up here.

At 5'4" and 104 pounds her BMI is 17.7, which is not much lower than the normal range which starts at 18.5. I cannot agree with the recommendations to not worry about it or to seek professional help.

If you are working out you may be putting on muscle mass which is more dense than fat and will increase your weight. If this isn't the case, you either aren't tracking everything, eating to much junk, or it may even be that you are not taking in enough calories.

Agreed she probably needs professional help, in the sense to sort out any disordered eating issues.

If you don't know anything about eating disorders, please refrain from giving advice to an underweight young adult, because you are doing more harm than good.

• girlviernes
    Options

The scale goes up and down throughout the day and over the course of the month. One of the signs that someone needs professional help is becoming very distressed over those ups and downs. I really encourage you to speak with your doctor or a therapist about this.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was 103 on Wednesday morning.. I purposely ate 3000 calories for 5 days to gain now reining back into maintenence and hopefully maintain I think I am looking abit healthier.. are you sure you are logging correctly I have mine set at very active to maintain but did actually change it to gain.. I will actually lose weight on 2000 I am shorter than you 5ft 2 and want to look good not skeletal..
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Start using weights. You can be 103 and still be "fat" and "flabby". They are called "skinny-fat". Once you start using weights, you will gain muscle. Muscle is better than fat, no matter how much you weigh (with-in reason). :-)
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Start using weights. You can be 103 and still be "fat" and "flabby". They are called "skinny-fat". Once you start using weights, you will gain muscle. Muscle is better than fat, no matter how much you weigh (with-in reason). :-)

Never appropriate to refer to a young adult of BMI 17.1 as possibly fat or flabby.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    How??? How do you do those things and not die with the little amount you're eating? If your metabolism was functioning properly you should probably be closer to 2000 calories at the very least with that kind of activity level - probably even more than that.

Eat Moar! Your sports will improve dramatically, and you'll feel better for it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - do you use a food scale, yes or no??
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the math or using any calculations or formulas but 1300 calories does not seem appropriate for someone with that much activity level and that weight. It may not be healthy in the long run.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    I'm not doing the math or using any calculations or formulas but 1300 calories does not seem appropriate for someone with that much activity level and that weight. It may not be healthy in the long run.

It's obviously not appropriate. Her BMR alone is 1314.

• PRMinx
    Options

You need to stop giving advice about things you know nothing about. Granted, I'm all for lifting weights but telling someone with a clear ED that they can still be "fat" and "flabby" at 103 pounds (laughable, BTW at 5'4) is being purposefully obtuse.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

She's not answering my questions either. So, she's a troll or she has a serious problem she won't cop to.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You are underweight sweetie... Let yourself gain to at least around 110. You do not want to look skeletal. You will look very healthy and attractive with a little more weight on you. I'm just under 5'3 and have a small frame, and I have a good idea of what 103 would be for someone 5'4. Do not listen to any previous posts that say 103 is ok because it's "close" to the lowest BMI... The lowest BMI is the absolute absolute lowest anyone should be. Being underweight can have many more health problems than being overweight!! If you gain to around 110-125 or so, you will be able to eat more calories, maintain the weight, and you'll look great!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

She's not answering my questions either. So, she's a troll or she has a serious problem she won't cop to.

I give up then….