The Healthy Way: Thigh gap

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My modeling career is just taking of I will be auditing to be a Victoria secret model next year. My manager has mentioned he wants me to shred a few pounds and tone my legs. When I was like 10-12 I engaged in sprinting which has built up muscular legs. I need to get rid of them or... I lose my contract
    You're not going to lose muscle from the legs without compromising your health, or opting to use a wheelchair so you don't use your legs at all.
    And honestly, a 2 year stint in sprinting at just barely puberty will unlikely result in muscular legs. Lots of females discount genetics as the reason why their legs are bigger and you can't change your genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.

Plus, I lift heavy things and squat a lot and consider myself to have pretty muscular legs. And I have thigh gap (when laying down with my knees up). It's all in the hips because, trust me, I'm not a waif on the bottom.

Speaking of hip and butt size....I wonder how this impacts my IQ. :wink:

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're already hot enough to be considered as a Victoria's Secret model, bets are losing a few more pounds aren't going to drastically change your thighs. Unfortunately like everyone said, it's genetic, but you'll still look fabulous without one.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    19 turning 20

I wonder if this interest in a thigh gap is an age thing. I'm 5 years older than you and I literally didn't know what one was until a year ago - it was never a thing I was even aware of, much less envied, in my teenage years. I'm sure there was an equally silly 'in-thing' girls were after in 2010, but this one always confuses me.

I'm 38 and it definitely wasn't a thing back in my day. The big models were Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Crawford, Helena Christenson, etc. and I would say their outer body shapes were paid way more attention to than the inner thigh shape.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    At my thinnest, I was 135lbs, 5'10" (low end of normal BMI, almost underweight) and no thigh gap. It's all genetics.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Photoshop.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you're already hot enough to be considered as a Victoria's Secret model, bets are losing a few more pounds aren't going to drastically change your thighs. Unfortunately like everyone said, it's genetic, but you'll still look fabulous without one.

not for nothing- but "hot enough to be considered for ..." is... a loose kind of way of phrasing that. Most of the top modelling agency's are looking for a body type- the face need to not be extreme- make up will make them look the way they want.

If you look at all the top models they all look very average outside of the runway- the only difference is the body type- tall and very lanky. The face needs to be "customizable" so a certain extent- body concern IS an issue.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Don't do squats and lunges. I do them and my legs have got bigger. :D
    Eat tissues like your future coworkers do

I eat tissue - muscle tissue.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    In case anyone was actually wondering, this is what goes into a Victoria Secret ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbnl7NZ-ok

I'm sure you'll be just fine the way you are. If anything, give yourself a very, very slight caloric defecit, and start lifting heavy with a mixture of (fun) cardio. Muscle definition will give you a better looking body than being skinny.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In case anyone was actually wondering, this is what goes into a Victoria Secret ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbnl7NZ-ok

I'm sure you'll be just fine the way you are. If anything, give yourself a very, very slight caloric defecit, and start lifting heavy with a mixture of (fun) cardio. Muscle definition will give you a better looking body than being skinny.

This actually reminds me--did your manager actually suggest a thigh gap or is that your interpretation of "shred a few pounds and tone your legs"? Because the majority of VS poses are not even going to demonstrate a thigh gap or lack thereof. You can definitely be tall and lanky without the gap.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have a thigh gap... The other day I was in the rest room with my phone and I dropped my phone... If I had a thigh gap it would have gone right into the toilet.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't have a thigh gap... The other day I was in the rest room with my phone and I dropped my phone... If I had a thigh gap it would have gone right into the toilet.

17-i-lol.jpg?1318992465
  • ahrisoulas
    ahrisoulas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its genetics mostly. If you don't have a wide pelvis, and wide, small framed, and high set, curved femurs, then you won't have a "thigh gap". Genetics determine majority of it. Also your worth more than " thigh gap". Don't let anyone tell your worth based on what society says you need to have. You want to be strong, and healthy . Most women you see in magazine are Photoshop that have them. I've been threw it myself.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know anyways that can get me a thigh gap healthily

I bow down to the most ironic thread title ever.
  • ahrisoulas
    ahrisoulas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My modeling career is just taking of I will be auditing to be a Victoria secret model next year. My manager has mentioned he wants me to shred a few pounds ands and tone my legs. When I was like 10-12 I engaged in sprinting which has built up muscular legs. I need to get rid of them or... I lose my contract

I'm 5" 11" and the weight requirements for that are 83-100. Or you have to be a sample size of 000-2. You wont to lose your contract buy not haveing a thigh gap. Its against the law now to try to promote pro ED FADS. If you fit sample sizes, and hight requirements you'll be fine. Aswell your BMI is over 19. But they are lying yo you. My advice dont to VS, go costum or ready to wear, or suppermodling. If they are telling you to do that then thats a problem.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

17-i-lol.jpg?1318992465

I did indeed....
    not only because it's funny- but because #thestruggleisreal.. and I've totally done that too.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
    sparkle wrote:
    19 turning 20
    Hmmmm.... Profile says 18. I'm guessing that none of those ages are correct.
    Try: http://www.sparkteens.com/

Also have a look at this calculator:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
    Notice that below your results it gives the healthy body fat % ranges.

Also have a look at this calculator:
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    It will tell you how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight, this will help you plan your food intake.

Also have a look at this:
    https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+a+healthy+bmi+range+
    A healthy BMI range is 18.5 to 24.9.

No matter what your potential employer tells you to do, YOU are responsible for your health.
    Don't do anything stupid &/or drastic, thinking that you'll be employed.
    If you're unhealthy, you can't work.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My modeling career is just taking of (sic) I will be auditing (sic) to be a Victoria (sic) secret (sic) model next year.
    My manager has mentioned he wants me to shred (sic) a few pounds ands and tone my legs.
    It would be better if you stayed in high school, maybe even take a health class or do some research
    on your own to learn about nutrition, eating disorders, healthy weight, healthy calorie intake, etc.

BTW, does your manager have any education in health, nutrition, personal training, etc.?
    Or is he just a business guy who thinks he can tell girls they should endanger their health for money?

ahrisoula wrote:
    I'm 5" 11" and the weight requirements for that are 83-100.
    At 5'11" and 100 lb, your BMI would be 13.9 which is *_dangerously_* underweight.
    (133 would be the bottom of a healthy weight range, with a BMI of 18.5.)
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
    I'd be surprised if you'd have enough body fat to maintain normal function, let alone hips & breasts...
    which are useful if one is to be modelling lingere. ("High fashion", not so much; they want living coat
    hangers, not people with curves.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Y'all might be onto something with Op's age. As the only people I've seen obsessed with this thigh gap thing are 14 year old girls. ...
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps, a bikini bridge (that hollow between your hip bones when you lay down with your bikini on and the fabric gaps) and 45 degree curves in lower backs so you too can have a Kardashian butt.. These are the things the media says we must have to be considered attractive. The fact that none of it is attainable for 99.99999% of women is besides the point. I am beyond caring what these idiots tell us. The best we can or should hope for is to be the best we can be taking our body shapes, genetics, age and histories into account. If you have ever seen some of these models in real life you would be shocked to know that they have acne, cellulite and all manner of flaws just like the rest of us. Of we had hair stylists, make up artists, stylists and wind machines to blow our hair back and PhotoShop artists to cut off ribs and hip bones in our bedrooms every morning we would look like models too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I've only known one adult female ever who had a thigh gap. She weighed less than 100 lbs.

There were a few teens in high school who, I remember, had one.

I don't recall anyone ever commenting on these thigh gaps.

Only here at MFP. Until I came here, I didn't even know what it was called. :smile:

I've got one, if we're talking about that gap right at the top and I'm 160lbs .. it's genetics

I think this is a thigh gap
    7-Exercises-for-Thight-Gap-Featured-New.jpg

I think this is what some people imagine a thigh gap should be, which just looks pre-pubescent to me

thigh-gap.jpg