Ranch dressing replacement...What is your favorite salad dressing??

Options
jla2983
jla2983 Posts: 26 Member
Hello! Prior to my healthy lifestyle change I would eat hidden valley ranch on my salads. It is not the healthiest choice! I switched to low fat and fat free ranch and did not like them. What is your favorite salad dressing homemade or store bought? I have tried plain vinegar and oil on my salads and do not like it either... I am hoping to find a healthy ranch dressing replacement. Please help! ;)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't like creamy dressings (I'm an oil and vinegar person), so this might not help, but one thought is maybe try adding a little cheese to get some of the flavor without the dressing. I like feta cheese on a salad since it has a strong taste and is reasonably low calorie for the amount needed.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would just use the ranch. Nothing wrong with it. Healthy isn't about the single food you eat, it's about your dietary context... Salad dressing isn't a big deal in the entire context. I usually eat salad plain (habit for years now) but if we don't have any dressing on hand and I want some I'll either do oil sands vinegar or honey, mustard, and Greek yogurt.
    Eta maybe try adding seasoning to the oil+vinegar dressing, or using a different vinegar/oil. I use olive oil and usually apple cider or balsamic. Different ratios as well, just taste it as you make it. I like mine pretty acidic. Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just eat Ranch dressing. Had some on a salad last night actually. I usually add a serving of Ranch and some salsa. There's nothing wrong with it. Just use portion control. I've lost over 80 pounds and have eaten Ranch during the whole process. I personally wouldn't give Ranch up, but that's just me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    IMHO, as a ranch dressing lover--there is no substitute (I agree--low-fat version is iffy, non-fat one is nasty). I just learn to love less of it. Occasionally, I will find that using 1/2 the amount (1 Tbsp vs. 2), and thinning it out (calorie wise) with a tablespoon of yogurt helps.

There are also yogurt based dressings (look in the produce section--they're refrigerated) that I hear are good, but I've not tried them. Many of those are lower in calories, but others say they are tasty and creamy.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Bolthouse Farms here! Most are around 45 for 2 Tbl. (I know the ranch is 45, it's always in the fridge) In the refrigerated section near the produce usually. My fav is the Caesar Parm. Yum!
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I make my own ranch dressing with a 0% fat plain Greek yogurt, Hidden Valley ranch packet, and skim milk :)
  • SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hate salad and have had a terrible time finding something I like. I, fortunately, don't like ranch or other creamy dressings (which makes it easier). I found a pomegranate blueberry vinaigrette that I absolutely love. Litehouse makes it, but I can tell you that a substitution isn't going to be the same or scratch that itch like ranch does. Look for recipes and start making your own healthier, modified ranch. Alternatively, check out labels and try a bunch of different brands/styles of ranch until you find one you like that fits in your calorie/macro goals. Don't ditch everything you enjoy!
  • jamers615
    Options
    Stick with the regular ranch, in a cup on the side. Dip your fork in the dressing, then stab your bite of salad. I promise you get all of the taste, but you'll use 1/4 to 1/8 of the dressing you'd normally use! I can't deal with low fat dressings, i love ranch, blue cheese and caesar. I pull this trick with most salads and it works out great!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You could try using the dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix and adding it to Greek yogurt & milk. It won't be quite the same flavor.

I like Newman's Lite Sesame Ginger Dressing. Light dressings are ok to me, but fat free have an aftertaste I don't like.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Huge fan of Bolthouse Farms here! Most are around 45 for 2 Tbl. (I know the ranch is 45, it's always in the fridge) In the refrigerated section near the produce usually. My fav is the Caesar Parm. Yum!

The Bolthouse is only OK to me - it is very sweet, for ranch dressing. I like Opa Greek Ranch though, I think it's by Lighthouse. It's also in the refrigerated section near the produce, and 60 calories for 2 Tbsp.
  • erasure999
    erasure999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Salsa or a lite amount of Oil & Vinegar
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I still eat ranch dressing sometimes but have been using a balsalmic vinaigrette dressing more often.
    I like the flavor of both. One advantage to the vinaigrette over ranch is that I can use much less because it doesn't stick like a thicker salad dressing would. I have used a couple of different brands and don't really have a preference.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Chop up some fresh dill, parsley and chives. Grate a nit of fresh garlic. Add a bit of olive oil, a mild vinegar and/or lemon, salt, pepper and some yogurt. I used to love bottled dressings but since I started making my own dressings with herbs and spices I can't stand the flavor.
  • dreedpc
    dreedpc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recommended OPA by Litehouse. It's a greek yogurt dressing. You find it near the bagged salad greens in produce. I have tried Feta Dill and Southwest--both excellent. For 2T -- 50 cal, 4.5 g fat, 2 carbs. Give it a try; I think you'll like it!
  • spunkypug100
    spunkypug100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree I would just eat the regular ranch. The low fat and fat free might be lower in calories but it's not any healthier. It just has more processed junk in it to try and make up for the taste of no fat. Right now I'm in to salt pepper and oil on my salad. I also like Norumbega BLUE Blueberry Vinaigrette which I get at a local store but I know you can get it online as well. Another thing I use on my salad when I feel like a creamy dressing is cottage cheese or avocados.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I shove a few cloves of garlic into a bottle of red wine vinegar. 1.5TBSP of that plus 1/2 tbsp good olive oil

If I have room for extra fats I buzz an avocado with dill, parsley, chives, minced garlic, and a little bit of olive oil in the food processor.

If I want actual ranch I buzz dill, parsley. minced garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder with 1 c of mayo and 1/2 c buttermilk in the food processor.
  • amykent73
    amykent73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley now has their dressing and dip mix packets that can be made with greek yogurt. I have not tried them yet but hopeful they will have the same great taste.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I make fake ranch with the seasonings packet, FF Greek yogurt and FF buttermilk. Works good for me. Also, I measure my dressing into the bowl and then add my salad and mix it before plating it so I am not eating puddles of ranch to start and then dry salad at the end.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for bottled salad dressing that much so besides homemade ranch (ha ha!) I tend to sub with vinegar and olive oil.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i love newman's caesar dressing. personally, i like having a little fat with my salad and as long as i don't overdo it, i would rather have the real thing that a fake or low-fat no-taste dressing.