Your favorite lower calorie ice creams when a craving hits?

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If you like frozen yogurt I would recommend Yasso's bars. They're a little pricier but worth it IMO and have between 80-130 calories per bar depending on what flavor you get.

I bought those. Had one. Threw the rest in the trash. Completely tasteless for the calories!

I second. Those things are horrid. And I got the Coconut (I LOVE COCONUT ANYTHING) and Had to throw them out - gross.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot.

I prefer Edy's too. Ever since I was child I preferred lower-fat ice cream. That full fat stuff makes me all phlegmy. :s

I just don't like that much "stuff" in my ice cream. It's too chunky to me.

I don't like stuff in my ice cream either. I don't even like sprinkles on the top. I hate Blizzards.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you freeze banana chunks (from 2 - 3 bananas), then put them in a food processor/blender with a tbsp or 2 of peanut butter, it makes banana ice cream. Process/blend until smooth. If you haven't tried this before, totally do it. It is DELICIOUS, has the consistency of like a soft serve ice cream, and is just made out of bananas and peanut butter! I would think that is less calories than real ice cream, I don't know, but the real benefit is that your sugars and fats (if you use natural peanut butter) are lower and all natural! YUMMY!

that's not ice cream.
    that's frozen blended bananas and sadness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you freeze banana chunks (from 2 - 3 bananas), then put them in a food processor/blender with a tbsp or 2 of peanut butter, it makes banana ice cream. Process/blend until smooth. If you haven't tried this before, totally do it. It is DELICIOUS, has the consistency of like a soft serve ice cream, and is just made out of bananas and peanut butter! I would think that is less calories than real ice cream, I don't know, but the real benefit is that your sugars and fats (if you use natural peanut butter) are lower and all natural! YUMMY!

that's not ice cream.
    that's frozen blended bananas and sadness.

cosign
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Arctic Zero, Edy's slow churned (I like cookie dough most as well as the no sugar added versions), skinny cow (especially no sugar added vanilla sandwiches), weight watchers giant fudge bars and others, Yasso (the cookie dough is heaven), enlightened ice cream bars or sandwiches (especially the chocolate ice cream bar), blue bell no sugar added vanilla....or fruit popsicles (but that is probably not what you are looking for..)

no, to the bolded...
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely Arctic Zero, but ONLY if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes before eating (as it says on the pint). It's like 135 calories a pint, so you can eat it all without feeling terrible. Nice source of protein, too.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

No. It's not less calories. Probably more--2-3 bananas (roughly 200-300 calories/assuming an "average" banana of ~100 calories), 90-190 calories of PB =290-490 calories for your treat. I can have a 1.5-2 servings of actual ice cream for that. Or 3-5 servings of 1/2 fat ice cream, sorbet, or sherbet.

For "low-calorie" alternatives, I chose Edy's Slow Churned (this stuff is good, real, 1/2 fat ice cream) or some sherbet (mmm, pineapple sherbet is the BEST). Both of these options are around 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup. Even a double or triple scoop is less than a comparable serving size of frozen bananas.

ETA: Oh, and BTW, Talenti gelato is all natural, too. 100% wholesome, indulgent, deliciousness. I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but I will indulge in Talenti (just one little serving is so rich and satisfying). I even have a special little dish and pretty spoon just for eating it, lol.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Frozen Greek Yogurt. So Yummy.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerrys
    Talenti
    Haagen Dazs

not low calorie, but I find that I don't need a lot of it because it's so rich. If I'm looking for quantity, I go for Edy's Slow Churned brand.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill Naturals Butter Pecan...180 Calories for a 1/2 cup and worth EVERY.DAMN.CALORIE
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Buy an ice cream maker and go to it. There's of recipes out there for high protein, low fat ones that are very tasty.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot. Salted caramel, oreo cookie and mint chip. Those are my go-to's usually.

Sometimes I'll get Talenti if I'm feeling frisky.

Mmmm I forgot about Talenti! Their Alphonso Mango Sorbetto is super good and satisfies my craving when I want something fruity at 130 Calories for a 1/2 cup
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

3 bananas... 315 calories
    2 tablespoons peanut butter... 190 calories
    That's a total of 505 calories

Not lower calorie at all.

There are about 14 grams of sugar in each banana. That's a total of 42 grams of sugar.

A half cup of my Talenti gelato -- I'll even pick the calorically dense Sea Salt Caramel -- has 240 calories and 35 grams of sugar.

I'll stick with gelato.

For 520 calories last night I had a cup of Tillamook vanilla bean ice cream topped with Nutella. It was amazing. :P
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

3 bananas... 315 calories
    2 tablespoons peanut butter... 190 calories
    That's a total of 505 calories

Not lower calorie at all.

There are about 14 grams of sugar in each banana. That's a total of 42 grams of sugar.

A half cup of my Talenti gelato -- I'll even pick the calorically dense Sea Salt Caramel -- has 240 calories and 35 grams of sugar.

I'll stick with gelato.

For 520 calories last night I had a cup of Tillamook vanilla bean ice cream topped with Nutella. It was amazing. :P
    And that sounds so much better than peanut butter and frozen bananas!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Definitely Arctic Zero, but ONLY if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes before eating (as it says on the pint). It's like 135 calories a pint, so you can eat it all without feeling terrible. Nice source of protein, too.

definitely not ….

i would rather have a serving of cookies and cream for 145 calories and feel just fine...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I think the Target 'house brand' (maybe market pantry?) that comes in a massive tub is 120 cals/ .5 cup. It was low fat cookies and cream, but it didn't taste low fat.

Skinnycow ice cream sandwiches are good, about 120-150 calories per sandwich.

I really like Yasso vanilla bean greek yoghurt ice cream bars. Very creamy. I think they're 80 calories.
  • hankinspace
    hankinspace Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't used bananas with peanut butter (that sounds delicious), but I often blend either frozen bananas, frozen mangos, or both. They'll churn around for a little bit, but after a couple minutes it is the exact texture of ice cream! Even my kids call it ice cream. You can add a few drops of almond milk (or any milk) to loosen it up if needed. A higher-calorie decadent treat would be with coca powder, avocado, some coconut milk and optional sweetener, that tastes like a frozen chocolate pudding to me :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Breyers No sugar added, double churned butter pecan ice cream!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I love taking plain greek yogurt and adding mashed banana or berries to it, then just pop it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Boom!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Perry's No Sugar Added Panda Paws or Butter Pecan are delicious; 110 calories for 1/2 c.

Also, the Weight Watchers Dark Chocolate Raspberry bars are 90 calories of awesomeness.