Half Marathon training - Getting slower

Options
Training for a half marathon from basically scratch. I ran 9 miles last night at a pace 30 seconds per mile slower than my last 9 miles two weeks ago.
My last couple of moderate runs of 5 miles were at a pace slower than my 7 mile long run and recently ran a slow 3 miles recovery run which i really struggled with. Again this was actually slower than my 7 mile long run and in the past have ran over 3 mile tempo runs at a much higher pace.

Its a bit demoralising when i know i can do much better. I work shifts so i know timing of runs and eating habits has an effect but is this normal and down to fatigue. I was unable to do a long run for 2 weeks so included a few 5 miles to increase my overall weekly mileage.

Does anyone else have this problem during their training.??

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have an off day or days. You might be cultivating some low-lying virus that you're not fully aware of. Maybe seasonal allergies are making it just a little harder to breathe. Weather could be a factor. Are you running the same route? Also, "easy recovery run" is not the same thing as a rest day. If you're adding in more *days* of running, even with the same overall distance, it stands to reason that your legs are going to be a bit more tired.

And sometimes you just have an off day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem before after a long period of running all my training runs too hard.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I have had that problem before after a long period of running all my training runs too hard.

I'll second this. If I have been doing too much "hard" running (or riding) then I find my ability to sustain a good pace for the long distance workout of the week suffers.

As you get closer to your race your efforts will taper off so that you are well rested on race day. Don't worry too much about your paces on the long distance runs as those are usually going to be done when your body is in a state of fatigue at some level.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Wind, surface can all effect you. Relax, running 9 miles is super as it is
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    When I'm deep into my training, I get slower almost every day. Pushing myself is harder. My muscles feel exhausted. Then I'll take 3 straight days off... and I'm so fast coming back. You're just exhausted and aren't sufficiently recovering. Try doing better cross training and make sure you get plenty of rest before race day. It isn't unusual for me to take 5 days off before race day, with only a short 2 mile run in the middle to stay loose.
  • JT__99
    JT__99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem...working my butt off in the gym and then running afterwards. It slowed me down, now I run before lifting and my times have improved.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How large is your deficit? I would suggest while training you may want to eat at maintenance or just under if you still want to lose (0.5lb/week weight loss goal)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What most of the people are saying: You're probably pushing too hard too much. Take a day (or two) off.

I would go further to suggest only running once every other day, with maybe one back-to-back run a week. This will give you ample time to recover between runs so you will likely be able to keep your pace up (and possibly improve).

Also, don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week, from the previous week. If you ran 20 miles this week, don't do more than 22 miles next week, and so on. I would go further and suggest no more than 5% each week to allow your body to adapt to running the longer distances. Remember, in the world of fitness, more is not better. Slow, progressive increases will get you further than jumping in with both feet.

If you increase too quickly, or don't allow yourself ample time to recover, you will experience exactly what you're experiencing right now: You're burning out, your performance is suffering, and you're getting slower.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I currently just finished my 10 mile week (so I ran 10 on saturday) and felt so slow and bogged down - partially PMS, partially tiredness. I took two days off and feel like I'll be better today. Just take your time. I know how frustrating it can be to have your pace get slower, but you are, at the very least, getting it done.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    How large is your deficit? I would suggest while training you may want to eat at maintenance or just under if you still want to lose (0.5lb/week weight loss goal)

There is a certain measure of this as well. In the past I have tried cutting weight while training hard. The result was not what I wanted come race day.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Since this discussion is on MFP rather than on a running blog, I'll assume you're doing this for fitness rather than winning races. If that's true, don't combine training for speed with training for your first half marathon. When I found myself losing the enjoyment in running, I realized I was focusing too much on pace. Now I intentionally slow myself down a little and focus more on enjoying the run. Once in a while I'll run a short run at full speed just to get it out of my system.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

There is a certain measure of this as well. In the past I have tried cutting weight while training hard. The result was not what I wanted come race day.

I run into this too. Eating at a deficit, trying to rehab an injury and still train? Not ideal. Training hard for PERFORMANCE requires good nutrition. Performance will suffer, depending on your deficit and weight loss goals. You don't see this in newbies trying to just "get it done" but in actual athletes with high performance expectations... seen it plenty
  • eva_svi
    eva_svi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're probably on the right track. I always slow down during training as the body is tired - once you rest enough the pace picks up incredibly. Don't be afraid to slow down it's actually good for you. My college trainer used to make us run 1-2 fast runs every week (tempo and/ or intervals) and the rest was as slow as comfortable for everyone. During big mileage increases we did not push he pace at all. It helps your body deal with the mileage increases. You don't need to always run fast during training to be fast during the race :) just make sure you rest enough before your big day (mileage decrease incl. No long runs during the last three weeks of preparation, a short run in your race pace the day before) and you'll be fine...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    <-reading with rapt attention. ^^^

I've been getting slower too. And all I'm training for is my first 5K in about ten days. Pretty well guaranteed I'll walk half of it. I'm doing more stretches to rehabilitate my knees and every run seems shorter. This is so different than the early progress when I was going through the running class. Every week I could do more.

I think I'm beginning to understand the mental part of this game. It's sure a lot harder to keep the motivation going if progress seems backwards.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Any training program should consist of 80% or more of the runs being easy runs for best results (particularly if you are building mileage). If you run too hard all the time progress will usually stagnate or begin regressing after a few months.

Easy is really easy, below the ventilatory threshold. In other words, you aren't even breathing hard. It sounds like magic that you get better running so easy but it works.
  • dennyman100
    dennyman100 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also, Think about the weather. As it starts to warm up you will get tired and groggy faster. I know that when it was chilly I could run with ease. Now we have peaked at 70 degrees and I was dying after 2 miles so i had to slow down some to keep my body from stopping all together.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Any training program should consist of 80% or more of the runs being easy runs for best results (particularly if you are building mileage). If you run too hard all the time progress will usually stagnate or begin regressing after a few months.

Easy is really easy, below the ventilatory threshold. In other words, you aren't even breathing hard. It sounds like magic that you get better running so easy but it works.

+1. I always recommend picking up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's "80/20" to people who are having a difficult time wrapping their head around this. The premise of the book is: Train slower to run faster. It works.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

+2

I'm a researcher by nature, so found out about this while I was still doing c25k. I've run almost all of my runs this way following higdon's marathon training plan (I stopped at the 14 mile long run week), and am at 10 min miles for half marathon distances. I don't race, and do no speed work or pace work, so that's a comfortable pace for me. Easy, relaxed breathing.

Considering it's been only 10 months since I started with c25k, I think it's very satisfactory progress. Especially since I thought I completely sucked at and hated running. Running slow keeps it pretty enjoyable, and keeps me from wearing out.
  • jb290978
    jb290978 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I normally only do 3 days a week but the last week I have crammed 22 miles in when normally I only do around 14 or so.

Those who concerned about eating at deficit. II'm not concerned what I eat or about losing weight. I have lost some belly fat etc due to running but I'm sleight build anyway.

I do get the muggy weather. That is the day a barely done 3 mile. Hope it's not like that on the day.

Will keep plodding along at my steady pace. Good for the encouragement this site.
  • AzTriathlete
    AzTriathlete Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your first half? Don't worry about times. Slowly build your long distance run. No more than a mile more distant than the week before. Run only 3 days a week, one long and two about half the long distance. The speed will come with the more you run. You've never ran before and it's very easy for a new runner to over do it, this can lead to slower times and even worse injuries! Find a local running club, they are everywhere and most have Internet pages. Start going on beginners group runs and chat it up with experienced runners. And you can always find a running coach to keep you in a happy training place. Good luck, Mike. (2X26.2 2X13.1 1/2 ironman)