What's all the hype about Shakeology?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    jpkrueger wrote: »
    I sell it. I personally wouldn't classify it as a weight loss product, unless taken as part of a complete weight loss program. But it doesn't have magical weight loss properties on its own, at least I don't think so. It is, however, very nutritious, tastes great and is all natural. Some use as a meal replacement, some as a snack.

T25 is a workout program made by the same company. It's a DVD. Intense workouts that last 25 minutes.
    All natural means "unprocessed". It doesn't grow off a tree, nor is it pulled from the ground, so it's a processed product MADE from "natural" ingredients that were independently pulled from whatever source. In other words, it's not as natural as it sounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I sell it. I personally wouldn't classify it as a weight loss product, unless taken as part of a complete weight loss program. But it doesn't have magical weight loss properties on its own, at least I don't think so. It is, however, very nutritious, tastes great and is all natural. Some use as a meal replacement, some as a snack.

T25 is a workout program made by the same company. It's a DVD. Intense workouts that last 25 minutes.
    All natural means "unprocessed". It doesn't grow off a tree, nor is it pulled from the ground, so it's a processed product MADE from "natural" ingredients that were independently pulled from whatever source. In other words, it's not as natural as it sounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or as I like to say "poison oak is 100% natural too"!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member

It does not. Not even a little bit. Its protein ration is not as good as the numerous, better tasting, much less expensive options.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    I tried it once and it tasted like pure chemicals to me. I agree with crazyjerseygirl.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    celticmuse wrote: »
    I tried it once and it tasted like pure chemicals to me. I agree with crazyjerseygirl.

Well, to be fair, EVERYTHING is a chemical, but I get what you mean. Over processed.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It's a giant waste of money. Send the money my way if you are just wanting to waste it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    OP, you pretty much answered your own question.

The hype is just that. It's a multi level marketing product, so people are going to praise it to high heaven in order to take your money and earn their commission.

This 1000%.

Just eat real food in a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

It's not natural, and it's not more nutritious than real food.

You can get intense workouts for free.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    [quote=

As for the whole thing as a package? "Eat 1200 calories a day, including meal replacement shakes, and do intense workouts and you will lose weight!" Well, duh!

Just as true as "Eat 1200 calories a day, and do intense workouts and you will lose weight!"

[/quote]

Totally this. I have a cousin who's lost over 25 pounds and swears by Shakeology. She's already spent tons of money when she didn't have to. I think some people find it difficult unless they feel they are following a specific "diet". Whether it's shakes or "detoxifying" or some other "diet" that basically makes you eat at a calorie deficit to lose the weight. Unfortunately the success is just temporary since those deficits are way too huge to sustain. And chances are you're not buying those shakes (or whatever other product) forever.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Thanks for all the input, I won't waste my money.
    As for this being a constant topic being posted about, I'm sorry but I just found the community aspect of this app this weekend after using it for tracking for two years. It's exciting to talk diet and fitness with like-minded individuals.
    Using it mostly with my phone and it's not easy to navigate, but if I am curious about something I'll post like everyone else, and if you are put off about what I'm posting because you've seen it 1000 times, keep scrolling. But glad you took the time to come say hello:)

Nice, level-headed response. :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have a lot of friends that sell this stuff, and I've gotten the hard sell to become a "coach" myself.

According to them, this stuff will basically get me out of bed in the morning, do my workout for me, probably gets the mail, pays the bills, and goes to work for me too.
    My experience: Not so much. I've tried it a couple of times and was not impressed, especially for the outrageous price.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited April 2015
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    [quote=

As for the whole thing as a package? "Eat 1200 calories a day, including meal replacement shakes, and do intense workouts and you will lose weight!" Well, duh!

Just as true as "Eat 1200 calories a day, and do intense workouts and you will lose weight!"

Totally this. I have a cousin who's lost over 25 pounds and swears by Shakeology. She's already spent tons of money when she didn't have to. I think some people find it difficult unless they feel they are following a specific "diet". Whether it's shakes or "detoxifying" or some other "diet" that basically makes you eat at a calorie deficit to lose the weight. Unfortunately the success is just temporary since those deficits are way too huge to sustain. And chances are you're not buying those shakes (or whatever other product) forever. [/quote]

^^^Yeah. Certain people who purchase this probably use the product, see results, and continue to use it, and stay motivated because they are spending the money.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    their post workout drink is as good or better then any other post workout. but you can buy the ingredients in bulk if your dedicated to using the supplement and make your own drink for a lot cheaper.
  • fatcity66
    Shakeology is a gimmick. Beachbody does have some good workout programs, though. I love P90X, and got great results. I recomped on it (built muscle and lost fat) to about 20% body fat. Alas, I didn't keep it up, and never got my dream figure. :(
  • allyxnatara11
    allyxnatara11 Posts: 74 Member
    I have a friend who uses shakeology and became a coach. She's lost 100 pounds so far in a year (+ workouts and diet). She swears by it but I tasted it and YUCK. Just not my cup of tea
  • JSurita2
    I think every "diet" product works to the degree that you follow the plan exactly as directed. Following the plan usually means eating less calories then you burn. So it's pointless to spend money on products however whatever floats your boat. I'm not one to say oh this doesn't work or that's a waste of money. If people feel that's the only way they can be successful at losing weight then it's not a waste of money for them. As Jasmin220 said, sometimes spending money is what motivates people to stick to it. I'm not one of those people of course but some are so who am I to judge.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Wow. This was posted over 20 minutes ago and there isn't one comment? There are usually 100 by now on topics like this.

We're burned out
    Sooooooooooooooooooo done
  • fatcity66
    I think every "diet" product works to the degree that you follow the plan exactly as directed. Following the plan usually means eating less calories then you burn. So it's pointless to spend money on products however whatever floats your boat. I'm not one to say oh this doesn't work or that's a waste of money. If people feel that's the only way they can be successful at losing weight then it's not a waste of money for them. As Jasmin220 said, sometimes spending money is what motivates people to stick to it. I'm not one of those people of course but some are so who am I to judge.

Because, like Jasmin220 also said, the weight loss is only temporary. The program doesn't teach you how to maintain your weight loss, and most people can't or won't keep using the products forever. What's the point of losing weight if you just gain it all back soon after?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I have a friend who uses shakeology and became a coach. She's lost 100 pounds so far in a year (+ workouts and diet). She swears by it but I tasted it and YUCK. Just not my cup of tea

I see what you did there.
  • JSurita2
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Because, like Jasmin220 also said, the weight loss is only temporary. The program doesn't teach you how to maintain your weight loss, and most people can't or won't keep using the products forever. What's the point of losing weight if you just gain it all back soon after?

I was the one who actually said the weight loss is temporary and I don't disagree with you. I'm simply saying different strokes for different folks. People will lose whatever way works for them. The bottom line is if they can't do it forever then they might just gain it back. And the same applies to MFP. If you don't count calories and watch what you eat forever, you'll regain the weight. Like any other diet, except this one is free.