Replies

• MNgal43
    MNgal43 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just joined it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why would one be on weight watchers and be on MFP at the same time? That's a serious question since the are different programs.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just a question - why would you do WW and MFP?
  • angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Need the accountability.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Actually, Weight Watchers is just calorie counting with a different points based system. I used it for my first 80 lbs. or so then I found this app. I don't attend meetings and have no "community" connection so MFP is what I use now.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    angellak wrote: »
    Need the accountability.

I don't understand.
    Actually, Weight Watchers is just calorie counting with a different points based system. I used it for my first 80 lbs. or so then I found this app. I don't attend meetings and have no "community" connection so MFP is what I use now.

Yes, but they don't count fruit or vegetables as any calories. That's not what MFP is about.

• laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So will you be counting calories but getting weighed at the meetings? Or will you be doing both? Again, I'm just curious :smile: don't want you to think I'm like questioning because I'm judging it's just that they can be vastly different considering that fruits and vegetables are "free" on WW so just wondering how that will work.
  • angellak
    Options
    Yes, I know. I've done ww before and lost weight, but there is the accountability when you weigh in in front of some one. I like being able to see the exact calories, protein, cabs, fat, etc....than using points.
  • kristyokronley
    kristyokronley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have been with WW since 2012 and have lost over 50 lbs. I need to go to the meetings and weigh in to help with accountability. I have been struggling for the last 6 months to get back to my goal, I'm 13-15 lbs away from my goal. I have been eating pretty well, but exercising 2x a day. So I decided to try this too. I found out that I am not eating enough to lose weight.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a lifetime member of WW and do go monthly to weigh in and keep my free membership up to date. I use MFP for logging as I like how well it syncs with my Fitbit Charge.
  • angellak
    Options
    I like the accountability of WW, but like that mfp shows fat,carb,protein etc. However, I got an idea that maybe I'll do an accountability thread or group and see how that goes. Thanks everyone!
  • victoryforlife
    Options
    I am strongly considering rejoining for the same reasons Angellak!
    There are different types of personality types and those who can do it on their own do and that's great! But then there are some of us who need the extra support or push.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go back to WW as I'm a cheapskate and love that MFP is free!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I could get 6 months of weight watchers free with my health insurance, so I've been considering joining, but I was wondering how that would work out with me using MFP.
    Hearing that you can eat all the fruits and veggies you want with WW sounds mighty tempting, hmm...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    angellak wrote: »
    Yes, I know. I've done ww before and lost weight, but there is the accountability when you weigh in in front of some one. I like being able to see the exact calories, protein, cabs, fat, etc....than using points.

So you're paying...what...$50 a month or so (10 years ago when I did it, the cost was $13/week) to have someone weigh you?!

Some friends of mine got together and have a weekly weigh in at their home. If they gain weight, they have to put money (a dollar amount they agreed upon) in a jar. If they stayed the same, they have to put in a lesser amount. (I think.) If they lose, they don't pay any money. At the end of whatever time period they set up, the winner (the one who lost the most amount) gets whatever is in the jar as a prize.

If all you want is accountability there are much more wallet friendly ways to do it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I could get 6 months of weight watchers free with my health insurance, so I've been considering joining, but I was wondering how that would work out with me using MFP.
    Hearing that you can eat all the fruits and veggies you want with WW sounds mighty tempting, hmm...

Actually, people say this all the time, but it isn't true. They do not tell you that you can eat all the fruits and veggies you want. Starchy veggies and avocado have points. The others are to be eaten within reason. When I did WW, it was suggested that they were free up to 5 servings.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Actually, people say this all the time, but it isn't true. They do not tell you that you can eat all the fruits and veggies you want. Starchy veggies and avocado have points. The others are to be eaten within reason. When I did WW, it was suggested that they were free up to 5 servings.

Makes sense.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have been with WW since 2012 and have lost over 50 lbs. I need to go to the meetings and weigh in to help with accountability. I have been struggling for the last 6 months to get back to my goal, I'm 13-15 lbs away from my goal. I have been eating pretty well, but exercising 2x a day. So I decided to try this too. I found out that I am not eating enough to lose weight.

Um, what? You're not eating enough to lose weight? Sorry, it doesn't work like that. If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much, not too little.

• 56fabulous2015
    56fabulous2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am a Weight Watchers member and use MFP. I really get a lot out of attending the WW meetings each week. The discussion is informative, and science based. I recently started to track consistently on MFP, and like how vast the food database is - especially for the scanned items. I like the activity syncing and tracking with my Fitbit that MFP provides. I'm living a healthier lifestyle and working towards my weight goal with the benefit of three supports family&friends/MFP/Weight Watchers.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If people are just looking for the accountability of a weigh in and information from meetings while still tracking calories on MFP I would think that something like TOPS would be a better fit. It would also be a lot easier on the wallet (Their membership is $32 a year and dues are $5 month).