Replies

• kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Whats a deadlift?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite lift. It's party time when I hit deadlift day (twice a week right now). Going to join the 400 pound club soon

*boggle* You are pretty cool.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    Whats a deadlift?

deadlift-fail-o.gif
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Whats a deadlift?
    <--- Sumo deadlift.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite lift. It's party time when I hit deadlift day (twice a week right now). Going to join the 400 pound club soon
    Awesomely badass that.
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Thanks! Year end goal is pulling more then my coach ... which means over 210kg.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    Whats a deadlift?

deadlift-fail-o.gif

I love this...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You sure it was because of deadlifts if you are also doing squats?
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting question. I am re-shuffling my exercise routine to add another strength day. I originally lifted one day a week, then when I got stronger I changed it to 2 days of lifting a week- deadlifts were on Upper body day and squats on lower body day. I reshuffled last week to add a third day and put them on leg day instead. Maybe I should rethink?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't have back day or leg day. I do a full body program (5/3/1). On the day I deadlift, I do lighter squats. I would think that where you are, fitness-wise, would make a big difference in whether you do deadlifts and squats on the same day (not as advance = easier to do on same day.)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Awesomely badass that.

Thanks! Year end goal is pulling more then my coach ... which means over 210kg.

That's getting towards WPF records. Pretty damn awesome.

IPF world open classic for my weight class is still at the world standard of 225kg. I've got my work cut out for me but I'm in fantastic hands to do it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    This is why it bugs me when uninformed people (or worse, gyms) say that you shouldn't deadlift. It's a great way to prevent injuries, and it's one of the most effective and highly functional exercises out there.

To be fair it is very easy to do incorrectly, which is a quick path to injury.

Is 'incorrectly' really just rounding your back, or are there other ways to hurt yourself with dl?

In addition to all of the earlier posts, another way to injure yourself is to try to use your arms to pull the weight rather than using them to grip and hold, but otherwise just hang.

Haven't done it myself, but I understand that tearing a bicep or muscles in your forearms is a real possibility once you're moving really heavy weight.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Whats a deadlift?

deadlift-fail-o.gif

Since we're talking somewhat about form --- is it safe to say this guy kind of leans back a bit much at the top? Not to mention the whole passing out thing.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Ilikelamps wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    keep in mind DL's aren't just for legs...they work almost every muscle from your neck to your ankles...when done properly.

yes because I am IN on ankle gains

aren't we all...better than cankles.... >:)

body shaming?! cmon...you know better than that!

giphy.gif
    What is this? MyFeministPal?
    I kept thinking MyNaughtyNaughtyPal
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I see a few people saying they do deadlifts on leg day....really? I do mine on back day, because how in the world could you do legs (various squats) and deadlifts all in the same day?

do mine on back day too, Romanian deads on leg day w/ squats and teh like
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Whats a deadlift?

deadlift-fail-o.gif

Since we're talking somewhat about form --- is it safe to say this guy kind of leans back a bit much at the top? Not to mention the whole passing out thing.

Does a PR lift count if you pass out and slam face first into a weight rack? :)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Whats a deadlift?

deadlift-fail-o.gif

Does a PR lift count if you pass out and slam face first into a weight rack? :)

I've seen people pass out at meets and have done it myself once or twice. It's definitely exciting but not earth shattering. You start to walk away and it's like you're on an escalator heading down...

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I see a few people saying they do deadlifts on leg day....really? I do mine on back day, because how in the world could you do legs (various squats) and deadlifts all in the same day?

Heavy squats & volume DL on one day; heavy DL & volume squats on another.

I've tried heavy both on the same day. F that, other than at a meet - and then adrenaline kicks in. But the next 2 days suck.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Heavy squats & volume DL on one day; heavy DL & volume squats on another.

I've tried heavy both on the same day. F that, other than at a meet - and then adrenaline kicks in. But the next 2 days suck.

That makes more since. I only do squats once a week and they are heavy and deads once a week and they are heavy. Obviously if you are doing low weight, high volume that could be incorporated the same day I would guess.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love the deadlift! This exercise is great for the butt and hamstrings when done correctly. I think the single most important thing I learned about doing the deadlift is to own the weight both on the way up and also on the way back down. Unfortunately, it seems that a good amount of people don't own the weight on the way down and kind of drop the weight. As with several other exercises people cheat themselves by not fully completing the exercise. I was able to complete several sets at 205 last leg day. Another great exercise that isn't discussed enough is the weighted hip thrust. Hands down this is the best butt exercise I have found.