Does walking count as exercise?!? Ideas to burn more calories!!

Options
Exercise is my mortal enemy but i don't mind going for very long walks. Im talking like 2-3 hr long walks. What can I do to maximize this so I can count it as exercise.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes it's exercise...

I would download mapmywalk and track it that way (and it's linked to MFP) or get an activity tracker.

To maximize it try speeding up or go fast then slow.

But to be honest just moving is good.
  • syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jogging does count
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking counts! Get a good pace on, add some hills if possible.

You could also use walking poles to get the arms more involved for a full body workout ('Nordic walking').

If you use some form of tracking app you'll be able to know what speed/distance you're going and get an idea of your calorie burns.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes, i wouldn't suggest just a leisurely stroll, but walking is very good for you. Keep a good pace, find some hills or trails if you can.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mis_linzi wrote: »
    Exercise is my mortal enemy but i don't mind going for very long walks. Im talking like 2-3 hr long walks. What can I do to maximize this so I can count it as exercise.

Moving that raises your heart rate counts as exercise. You should be finding it slightly difficult to hold a conversation; if you're just strolling along, having a chat, it's not really doing much for you.

Please explain the bolded statement above. Why is it your enemy? Because it's hard work? It's supposed to be hard; if you're not working, you're not doing anything for your body.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I lost over 25 lbs. by walking, a 3-4 mile pace is ideal.
  • mis_linzi
    mis_linzi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. I suppose its pretty hard work: And not to open a can of worms but I smoke so It can get pretty uncomfortable. I just find my self making excuses to not ever do it, and I feel like when I do exercise I look ridiculous. I shouldnt care eh.
  • run_cmc
    run_cmc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Walking is absolutely exercise. And while sure, you'll burn *more* calories if you walk briskly and add hills, even if you don't you're still burning calories. It's certainly better than sitting on your bum :) Plus you never know- you could get inspired by the people around you and start to run! That's how it happened for me: at first, I was going for long, aimless walks in the park, and then after watching all the runners killing it out there I sped up little by little and now I love running!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes. I suppose its pretty hard work: And not to open a can of worms but I smoke so It can get pretty uncomfortable. I just find my self making excuses to not ever do it, and I feel like when I do exercise I look ridiculous. I shouldnt care eh.

You've brought up definitely a couple of the main reasons people don't like exercise. yes, you shouldn't care what people think. Most people don't care what you look like when you exercise. Most people will be giving you mental kudos just for getting your self moving! What are the judgmental people doing? Sitting on the couch?
    As far as the smoking? yes, it is the most difficult thing to quit, being highly addictive and legal so you don't have to hide it to do it. (former respiratory therapist here). Even though you still smoke, exercise can make a big difference. not exercising and smoking is even worse for your body. maybe it will help give you some incentive to quit.
  • wwill10
    wwill10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really love walking for 30-45 min , especially when I don't have the motivation for excercising :) Still helps me to burn some Cal
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. Like mentioned above...walking that gets your HR elevated counts. Normal walking thru out the day is already a part of your BMR. I like to call it Brisk Walking.
    I would suggest you Google the different HR zones and adjust your walking to the zone that works best for you.
  • jessicamcfarland165
    jessicamcfarland165 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely exercise. It does not, however, have the cardiovascular benefits of running or more intense work. If you are very overweight, just going for long walks will be helpful, but if you are strugging to lose the last 20 or tighten up what you already have, you probably won't find it super helpful (although still good to do!). I was NEVER a runner, like hated it and the feeling that I got, but I had a lot of success with the couch to 5K program last summer before I was pregnant. Lost 30 pounds and went from struggling to run 1 minute to powering through 20. If I can do it, really anyone can! And you probably will look ridiculous (I know I do), but what kind of a tool is going to make fun of someone trying to better themselves? It's worth it!
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say, don't be put off if 'strolling' is all you can do - any kind of movement is better for you than sitting down and eating! Of course a power walk is better - I lost 3stone last year over the course of 6 months entirely by power walking between 4-7 miles every day. Screw the gym membership, your legs are all you need! You can always get yourself some hand weights if you feel your arms are being neglected :smile:
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I do exercise I look ridiculous. I shouldnt care eh.

In most cases I've come to understand that if you feel like you look ridiculous you are actually doing it right!

Why not carry weights while you walk?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, why not jog a few mins at a time when you're out for those walks, really maximise your burn :smile: but at the end of the day, the fact that you are moving regardless of what it is, is great so keep up the great work :smiley:
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, I walk everyday on my break from work and might go for a stroll at night with the wife and kids. We aren't competitively walking and I burn roughly around 100-200 calories just by doing a leisurely walk for about 2-3 miles. The point is to get up and move. I have lost almost 40 lbs and I only occasionally will do my elliptical. I prefer walking outdoors more.
  • maxpugsby
    maxpugsby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes it is a good way to exercise. I've lost 80lbs. by walking, dieting too of course.
  • ta12pn
    ta12pn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. running burns so much more calories though..
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    definitely - I lost 37 kg while (also) counting walks and eating the calories back, as per MFP suggestions

for me, 2.5mph leisure pace is what works and it's a bit underestimating so worked even better

• dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of dog walks i try get in 2 a day ( 5 days a week 1 on sat n sun) as i cant manage my 3 staffs together so do 2 then 1 and sometimes do 3 if i go with daughter to take the huskys, i have found over the last 12 months my breathing is a lot better and the walks don't touch me now, i need to up my pace.
    I'm a smoker too so keep going it does help get you fit!