vegan diet

Options

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    I'm here as a Low Fat High Carb Plant Based (Healthy Vegan). I agree that just being Vegan is not enough but I learned to avoid the oils, saturated fats, cholesterol, and processed junk foods. I disagree with a lot of these posts about being sustainable. I've tried everything but this lifestyle in the last 40 years! Calorie Restriction, High Protein Low Carb Diets run rampid and are very unstable long term. Most people only do it as a 3 month challenge to lose weight for bikini season or try the Mon-Fri diet...then gain it all back after that goal is met. We find ourselves going right back to eating junk food. It's very easy for me to follow a plant based "lifestyle" because my cravings are completely gone for unhealthy food and I eat a lot more to now and always satiated and my energy is through the roof! I don't really count calories but I'm doing this out of my own curiosity and maybe it will inspire others. Friend me if your interested.

Buy you are only 43, so you started trying different diets at age 3?

• rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    PRMinx: Eating less and starving yourself of nutrition is what leads people to binge because they are still hungry and not satiated. Then you are sold on drugs and supplements to curb your appetite or get vitamins so now it cost $$. Not to mention even eating smaller amounts of chicken and eggs for that matter is still higher in saturated fat and cholesterol then getting the same protein from plant based without the bad stuff.

janejellyroll: More sustainable because you eat when your hungry and don't starve yourself. I'm only talking plant based here...not vegan junk food. How many times has everyone here lost weight and gained it back? Before I switched to plant based...it was every 3 months...now it's been a year and I'm feeling much healthier and lighter..."all the time". If you ask any fitness competitor that is plant based...they are always ready and don't have to bulk up, slim down, or cut before competition and they recover much faster.

jddnw! LOL Thanks for pointing that out! Hey, now that I realize it...I was still a meat and dairy guy at age 3 too. My mom was feeding me liquid milk or mashed up meat!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx: Eating less and starving yourself of nutrition is what leads people to binge because they are still hungry and not satiated. Then you are sold on drugs and supplements to curb your appetite or get vitamins so now it cost $$. Not to mention even eating smaller amounts of chicken and eggs for that matter is still higher in saturated fat and cholesterol then getting the same protein from plant based without the bad stuff.

janejellyroll: More sustainable because you eat when your hungry and don't starve yourself. I'm only talking plant based here...not vegan junk food. How many times has everyone here lost weight and gained it back? Before I switched to plant based...it was every 3 months...now it's been a year and I'm feeling much healthier and lighter..."all the time". If you ask any fitness competitor that is plant based...they are always ready and don't have to bulk up, slim down, or cut before competition and they recover much faster.

jddnw! LOL Thanks for pointing that out! Hey, now that I realize it...I was still a meat and dairy guy at age 3 too. My mom was feeding me liquid milk or mashed up meat!

WUT?

Where did I say anything about eating less and starving myself of nutrition? How do you make that leap?

And you didn't answer my question. You deflected it with a response that literally makes no sense.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, because vegans need to add another label to ourselves. So if I don't specify I am "plant based" which is ridiculous, because everything vegans eat already began as a plant. Then we are automatically considered "junk food vegans" This irritates the shiz out of me. Clearly us lowly vegans haven't learned moderation and are gorging ourselves on Daiya and SO Delicious..... eye roll.

Just like in an omni diet, there is room for treats, and just because YOU have a binging issue does not mean it applies to everyone.

p.s. Binge Eating is rarely about the food, it's about what's in your head.
  • rawroy
    Options
    You asked how eating a "piece of chicken", or "an egg", is going to lead to a junk food binge? What does "a piece" of chicken or an egg sound like to you? That sounds like just a bite to me. Anyway, there are a lot of things that lead to a junk food binge but #1 for me was eating less and working out harder and using supplements and diet pills. Eventually who isn't going to want to hit a buffet and just get wheeled out of there?? lol
  • PRMinx
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You asked how eating a "piece of chicken", or "an egg", is going to lead to a junk food binge? What does "a piece" of chicken or an egg sound like to you? That sounds like just a bite to me. Anyway, there are a lot of things that lead to a junk food binge but #1 for me was eating less and working out harder and using supplements and diet pills. Eventually who isn't going to want to hit a buffet and just get wheeled out of there?? lol

Seriously, what?

A standard piece of chicken is anywhere from 5-8oz. Hardly a bite. And an egg is a great snack. I think the problems you have had are a reflection of either your lack of knowledge about nutrition and serving size, or a psychological need to binge.

I never once mentioned eating less and starving. If you are starving, you are doing it wrong. If you are crutching on supplements and diet pills, you are doing it wrong. Just because you haven't been able to find moderation for yourself, doesn't make meat inherently bad for everyone.

And, BTW, if you eat over maintenance in vegan friendly foods, you will still gain weight. Calories in, calories out. Because, science.

For the record, to the other posters, I have nothing against veganism. But if you are going to go on a vegan diet, do it for the right reason NOT because it's a magical weight loss cure.
  • ugwux004
    ugwux004 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am gonna try being vegan for two weeks or more and see what it feels like! And i mean healthy vegan. I haven't eaten french fries, chips and other junk food for 3 months anyways so i think I might be fine! I just have to give it a try! Thanks again everyone
  • rawroy
    Options
    Laruend224, there is a big difference between eating unhealthy and healthy just like there is a big difference between eating animals vs not eating animals to me. I see labels on products all the time that are saying "Vegan" to fool people but are totally unhealthy and I see "Free Range" that doesn't mean squat to me because animals don't deserve to be killed anyway.

Believe me, I don't like labels either but people need to be aware of the truth behind them.

When I say Plant Based, I really don't mean at all to assume all Vegans are unhealthy but for those thinking they will lose weight and be healthier just by switching to Vegan is far from the truth.
  • rawroy
    Options
    PRMinx...I know a lot about moderation..I have had to use moderation when eating meat and dairy and processed foods my entire life up until now to get in shape. I'd say most of the people here have done the same and most come back over and over again expecting different results. I'm not saying it doesn't work but it's a revolving door for most people, especially as we get older.

I know a lot about health and nutrition because I've been doing a lot of research about it and the benefits of eating plant based are just so much better for your health and fighting and prevent diseases but I'll leave that discussion for another topic!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    PRMinx...I know a lot about moderation..I have had to use moderation when eating meat and dairy and processed foods my entire life up until now to get in shape. I'd say most of the people here have done the same and most come back over and over again expecting different results. I'm not saying it doesn't work but it's a revolving door for most people, especially as we get older.

I know a lot about health and nutrition because I've been doing a lot of research about it and the benefits of eating plant based are just so much better for your health and fighting and prevent diseases but I'll leave that discussion for another topic!

110180-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-gif-Img-mEjK.gif

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

janejellyroll: More sustainable because you eat when your hungry and don't starve yourself. I'm only talking plant based here...not vegan junk food. How many times has everyone here lost weight and gained it back? Before I switched to plant based...it was every 3 months...now it's been a year and I'm feeling much healthier and lighter..."all the time"
    I feel like you completely avoided the question. Why is avoiding fat more sustainable than avoiding carbs if people in both groups eat to satisfaction? And why would either plan be more sustainable for those of us who enjoy plants and carbs?

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I see labels on products all the time that are saying "Vegan" to fool people. . .

Are you saying you see foods labelled vegan that contain animal products? If so, which ones?

• PRMinx
    Options

janejellyroll: More sustainable because you eat when your hungry and don't starve yourself. I'm only talking plant based here...not vegan junk food. How many times has everyone here lost weight and gained it back? Before I switched to plant based...it was every 3 months...now it's been a year and I'm feeling much healthier and lighter..."all the time"
    I feel like you completely avoided the question. Why is avoiding fat more sustainable than avoiding carbs if people in both groups eat to satisfaction? And why would either plan be more sustainable for those of us who enjoy plants and carbs?

Avoid, avoid, avoid.... :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    kkandblue wrote: »
    Yes! I went vegan for a few months and lost weight so fast! Vegan diets are super healthy if you know what you are doing and it makes the world a better place <3

Oh Christ on a Vegan Cracker no. You lost weight because of CICO. Not being Vegan.

OP, do what works for you.... but please be aware as other posters have pointed out, going Vegan won't magically cause you to lose weight. Eating less calories than you burn will cause you to lose weight. If you enjoy a plant based vegan diet, awesome. My recommendation? Make sure you're still hitting your macros. There are a few Vegan groups that can help answer questions you may have and can be a supportive community.
  • m_kipp
    m_kipp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Being a vegan myself, I will always tell you that taking animal products out of your system will make you more healthy, others will disagree. But it is not a "diet" it is a lifestyle that you embrace for health or morale/ethical reasons. If you feel you would like to try it, do it! But do not let anyone tell you that you have to do it to lose weight. There is a lot of great info on this site about health and weight loss. Read everything, make an informed decision as to what is best for YOU.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a moral compass that tells you needn't eat animal products, there isn't a reason to go vegan. Vegan isn't any healthier than a balance diet.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kipp_it wrote: »
    Being a vegan myself, I will always tell you that taking animal products out of your system will make you more healthy, others will disagree.

I will disagree with this. It totally depends on what animal products you take out and what you replace them with.

I completely think it's possible to have a happy and healthy vegan life. But is every vegan eating healthier than every omnivore? No.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I took a quick look in your diary. The few days I looked at, you ate around 1950 calories. For a man your age, that's not exactly an earth-shattering amount that defies any energy-balance equations.

What exactly are you going on about when you're talking about other people starving themselves? You're clearly not eating at an energy surplus as your claims would seem to say you are.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I took a quick look in your diary. The few days I looked at, you ate around 1950 calories. For a man your age, that's not exactly an earth-shattering amount that defies any energy-balance equations.

What exactly are you going on about when you're talking about other people starving themselves? You're clearly not eating at an energy surplus as your claims would seem to say you are.

Ohhhh busted.