Have you Quit Sugar?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems with sugar either any more. I also got my worst sugar highs from certain starchy carbohydrates....not sugar. And yes, much worse if I didn't cut it with protein, sauce, vegetables, something.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    About 10% of the population in the US has diabetes, so one in ten individuals indeed may feel sluggish after a large meal or after consuming a fair amount of sugar.

It's not limited to diabetics, but most people really don't have to quit sugar to avoid those things either. Being sluggish after Thanksgiving dinner seems common--not eating like it's Thanksgiving on a regular basis is a nice solution. Eating lots of refined carbs with nothing else, especially when you feel tired, good way to end up on an up and down cycle. Eat more rationally (have some protein and fat with your refined carbs and, ideally, maybe less refined carbs when possible), presto, no problem for most people, I'd bet.

I still eat sugar (including in fruit and dairy), and I never have those problems any more. I've also lost lots of weight, continue to have no skin problems, and don't have particular problems with cravings whether I eat sugar or not (as mentioned on another thread I'm mostly craving lamb these days, and that's because I've been eating fish as my only meat and am starting to think about what I might cook for Easter dinner--I also plan to make some pie, but somehow I'm still thinking mostly about the lamb, I guess sugar isn't so magically powerful as some claim, hmm).

I also used to be one who had the sluggishness after eating. I did eat a lot of carbs and sugar. I quit them for a very long time.

I have no cravings now when I eat sugar. None. No sluggishness either. That's because I consume it in a small portion, keeping it relative to my overall calorie consumption. I have a planned treat of a chocolate covered coconut macaroon and some yogurt, almonds, and raspberries left to eat today. I'm thinking about the yogurt/raspberries more right now.

I will add my personal anecdata to the over-consumption idea. I once ate a ridiculous amount of the fat drained from some roasted chickens. I felt worse from that than I EVER felt from any sugar crash. I think over-consuming anything to the point that it's out of balance with the rest of your intake will tax your system to the point that it will cause sluggishness.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think over-consuming anything to the point that it's out of balance with the rest of your intake will tax your system to the point that it will cause sluggishness.

This is my experience too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I suspect this is right, and would add: they probably feel it would improve overall health and reduce mortality as well.
    The WHO makes no such claim. They recommend reduced free sugar to prevent obesity (which in turn is a health issue) and improve dental health. That's it.

Im not suggesting the report said that. But thanks for doing so much research. Knowledge is really the key.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me the difference between natural sugar and processed or refined sugar? To my understanding sugar is sugar regardless the source.

The actual sugar, whether it is sucrose, glucose, maltose, lactose, fructose, etc. is used by the body in the exact same way.

Some will come up with the argument that "fruit is packed with fiber and nutrients along with the sugar". That is true, but does not affect the actual sugar your body is using and what it does with it once it enters the bloodstream. It may affect how long it takes to get there, but not what it does.

That is splitting hairs, though. There is a difference in how your body reacts when it gets a slow steady dose vs a quick slam to the system all at once. A beer and a shot may have the same amount of alcohol, but nursing the beer for a half hour is going to affect you differently than doing shot in one go. Your liver, and the rest of your body, has the same issue when you have strawberries vs a strawberry pop tart. If you're running or riding a bike, you have the means to diffuse some of the backlog. If you're sitting at your desk posting on the internet, not so much.

I fail to understand this comparison. If I take a shot of whiskey and have nothing else for four hours, and my friend drinks a beer over one hour and has nothing for the same four hours....are you trying to say that I am more drunk then my friend, because shot? My example assumes are both similar height and weight...

if I have a strawberry or a poptart and I am in a calorie deficit, guess what happens? I lose weight.

Or is your claim that the person eating a strawberry will lose more weight because fruit sugar?

No, I said no such thing, but thanks for playing psychic. When you take a shot, the alcohol arrives at your liver in one dose. When you drink a beer, the alcohol trickles in to your liver over time. The same is true of sugars. Carbs that are digested immediately will hit the liver in one dose. Carbs that are digested slowly over time will reach the liver in smaller amounts over a longer period. No matter if you have the shot or the beer, the strawberries or the pop tart, your liver doesn't function any faster or slower. What it's not using is stored as liver fat.

It's his speciality.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think over-consuming anything to the point that it's out of balance with the rest of your intake will tax your system to the point that it will cause sluggishness.

Yup. Agreed. And I would add there's a tendency to over do on some things but not on others.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yup. Agreed. And I would add there's a tendency to over do on some things but not on others.

But what those things are seems to differ person to person. Lots of people here seem inclined to overdo on pasta, but I'm way more likely to overdo on some rack of lamb. I mean, not anymore, normally, since I monitor portions, but I easily could!

(I seem to be posting about meat today.)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I still have an issue with even reasonable amounts of carbs/sugar but it's nice to know that that might change some time in the future. I would love to be able to have fruit with breakfast and beans with dinner or something crazy like that!

Still, I do enjoy my food (it seems more indulgent than restrictive most days) and having a normal appetite and energy levels are worth it. But I'll definitely keep this in mind and test my limits periodically to see if whatever issues I have with carbs corrects itself.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me the difference between natural sugar and processed or refined sugar? To my understanding sugar is sugar regardless the source.

The actual sugar, whether it is sucrose, glucose, maltose, lactose, fructose, etc. is used by the body in the exact same way.

Some will come up with the argument that "fruit is packed with fiber and nutrients along with the sugar". That is true, but does not affect the actual sugar your body is using and what it does with it once it enters the bloodstream. It may affect how long it takes to get there, but not what it does.

That is splitting hairs, though. There is a difference in how your body reacts when it gets a slow steady dose vs a quick slam to the system all at once. A beer and a shot may have the same amount of alcohol, but nursing the beer for a half hour is going to affect you differently than doing shot in one go. Your liver, and the rest of your body, has the same issue when you have strawberries vs a strawberry pop tart. If you're running or riding a bike, you have the means to diffuse some of the backlog. If you're sitting at your desk posting on the internet, not so much.

I fail to understand this comparison. If I take a shot of whiskey and have nothing else for four hours, and my friend drinks a beer over one hour and has nothing for the same four hours....are you trying to say that I am more drunk then my friend, because shot? My example assumes are both similar height and weight...

if I have a strawberry or a poptart and I am in a calorie deficit, guess what happens? I lose weight.

Or is your claim that the person eating a strawberry will lose more weight because fruit sugar?

No, I said no such thing, but thanks for playing psychic. When you take a shot, the alcohol arrives at your liver in one dose. When you drink a beer, the alcohol trickles in to your liver over time. The same is true of sugars. Carbs that are digested immediately will hit the liver in one dose. Carbs that are digested slowly over time will reach the liver in smaller amounts over a longer period. No matter if you have the shot or the beer, the strawberries or the pop tart, your liver doesn't function any faster or slower. What it's not using is stored as liver fat.

its the same amount of alcohol. And if I have nothing to drink over the next four hours it gets detoxed out of my body the same way a beer would....

No, the other dude is right - it's not just a question of amount, it's a question of rate. Your body *will* metabolize differently depending on whether you're sipping a beer or shooting tequila.

If you're running a proper deficit, it will all eventually work out approximately equivalent, but your body will take different paths to get there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

But what those things are seems to differ person to person. Lots of people here seem inclined to overdo on pasta, but I'm way more likely to overdo on some rack of lamb. I mean, not anymore, normally, since I monitor portions, but I easily could!

mmm lamb. agreed, but that said, not many will over do on broccoli.
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    I have quit added sugars, yes. Well, excluding sugar alcohols as they do not count (0 calorie, 0g carb, no glycemic spike and you urinate it out). But if they are sugars naturally found in the food, I’ll consume it. But I keep my carb count below 20g net carbs a day anyway. The carbs I do consume primarily come from dietary fibers.
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've given up pretty much all added sugars, and I feel great. Never had more energy :smile: There's always going to be hidden sugars here and there, but I eat mostly whole foods so there's few surprises.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I can eat pounds of cherries if given opportunity.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've quit sugar as in the white grainy stuff, no more sugar in my coffee or cereals. But I still eat my fruits and on occasion sweet treats.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm‌ all babies would agree that Goldfish outrank broccoli. Have you heard of the famous empathy experiment?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-02-01/features/sfe-sfp-empathy-develops-during-early-childhood_1_babies-and-toddlers-broccoli-empathy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Smiles, I know the study, and others by the Berkeley team quite well. cheers!
  • lovesraspberries
    lovesraspberries Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book "I Quit Sugar"? It's wonderful! Very easy and very common sense. I think you might like it. :)

I followed what she said to do to break the sugar addiction, and it worked just like she said. I still eat sweet things that don't taste funky or gross, but I don't "need" dessert or sweets anymore. It's really been amazing.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There is so much sugar hidden in all foods that it is almost impossible to remove all of it. But I have really reduced the amount of obvious sugar (cookies, cakes, chocolates) that I eat.] I feel good about that
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I stay away from all simple refined sugar. I limit rice to occasionally plus portion control, and try to eat the brand type with the lowest GL index number. I eat fruit everyday, but try to stick to say 2-3 pieces and limit grapes, etc. I often fail on that score...I'm not a low carber but do avoid refined.

I've cut out sugar on 3 or 4 occasions, once for 1.5 years. I felt better and found I got sick, shakey like menopause if i broke my pattern. But after a handful of times, it gets easy to eat again and cravings start.

I truly believe giving up white death is one the biggest keys to health and wellbeing. I also feel much less compulsive about food when I avoid sugar. It's very hard at first on on occasions such as holidays, but it gets easier. I hope to do this for the rest of my life.

Try it...your body will thank you. Try 3 months on no refined sugar, no bread etc...then eat a cupcake. You'll see the stuff is poison.

There is much research and increasing consensus about the health risks of refined sugar. Even the WHO world health organization recommends limiting added sugar to 20g a day, that's 6 teaspoons. A store bought ice tea has more than that.
    All my doctors agree you should limit at very least. It's true some people suffer no harm from eaying a lot of sugar, but these folks are few and far between.

• jhonen32629
    jhonen32629 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No, I haven't quit it, but I've always been mindful of it. I pay attention to added sugar vs. natural sugar. The majority of the sugar in my diet is natural. From fresh, raw fruit.