Is this too much food?

Options
pco2
pco2 Posts: 62 Member

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For the day? For a meal? Every ten minutes? Context is important.
  • pco2
    Options
    Lunch
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    pco2 wrote: »
    Lunch

Does it fit into your calories? Does it keep you full until your next planned meal or snack? Are you still hungry?

There is no right amount of food for everyone. If it works for you, then great.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Lunch

What are you eating for the rest of the day? For me, fruit and chicken would be a small lunch, but if I knew I was eating a big dinner, I would eat something of that size.
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    there is not real right answer to that question. What are your goals? How many calories are you trying to consume a day? More important how many grams of carbs/sugar are you trying to take in? Did you measure the food out?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Looks like a few ounces of baked skinless chicken, a smidge of brocolli, pineapple, and strawberries?

I'd say maybe 250 calories ballpark.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know about too much food but it is too much picture.
  • pco2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Really trying to drop weight and just trying to eat accordingly. Didn't weigh it. It filled me for sure. Almost couldn't finish it. I'll prob eat another portion of chicken like this along with a small yam and 5 asparagus spears for dinner.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For me, that's not enough food.
  • pco2
    Options
    I'm working out... Hard. But I really want to lose this weight. I'm going with it will be fine
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    tanowicki wrote: »
    I don't know about too much food but it is too much picture.
    It's a glitch that's been plaguing MFP for a while. :neutral:

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm working out... Hard. But I really want to lose this weight. I'm going with it will be fine

I'd suggest weighing out your food, logging accurately, and making sure you're hitting your calorie goals.

Also, this post kind of suggests you're new to calorie counting, so I'd suggest giving this a read as it is very helpful for beginners:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

working out hard isn't relevent to weight loss if you aren't tracking calories.

"is this to much" or "is this enough" is what the whole point of tracking/logging is.

Get a food scale.
    log your food- after you weigh it.
    Figure out how much you need to maintain.
    FIgure out how much you need to lose- which will be 250-500 calories UNDER maintance.

So- for a broad stroke example.

IF you maintain on 2000 calories a day.

Then in order to lose weight- you need to consume 1500-1750 a day to lose.

If you exercise and burn 200 calories- I would eat back 100 of those. (so totally would be 1600-1850)

unless you do TDEE- which is different- the daily goal accounts for your workouts. SO you never eat back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's too much when you go over your calorie targets...that's it. looking at a plate of food is pretty irrelevant.

Also for me that would be...sad...I would have doubled up on the chicken and broccoli and cut the fruit in half and would have thrown in a 1/2 an avocado or something for some fat.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    it's too much when you go over your calorie targets...that's it. looking at a plate of food is pretty irrelevant.

Also for me that would be...sad...I would have doubled up on the chicken and broccoli and cut the fruit in half and would have thrown in a 1/2 an avocado or something for some fat.

This! Or I'd keep the chicken, double or triple the veggies (cooked in olive oil, with onion, garlic, spices, maybe more veg variety -- I like cauliflower too, that'd be nice) and cut the fruit in half. Maybe a tbl of labneh...

At any rate, I'd up that fat content.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nope..
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It instead looks like not enough food unless you are considering this meal as just a small part of your intake for the day. If you are a six-meal-a-day person, it might be enough. Sounds like you are trying the crash diet routine wherein lies eventual disaster.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It looks delicious. But for me that would be about half of what I eat for lunch. But that's me and my caloric needs as a very active person who is in the 260's.

You need to look at the overall picture. Does it fit in your daily allowance of calories? How do you feel hunger wise a few hours later? Might be you need to eat more. Might be just the right amount. Might be you need to eat less, but I doubt that would be the case.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm far more concerned about the fact that your fruit is touching your chicken AND your broccoli. Taste mixing! Gag.